Review Good/Bad vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

We need a gif of Nankervis getting around three WCE players and then hitting a target on his left. That was mint.
Took a cracking mark just before that too

Room for improvement:
Would rather give a few games to gollant to see if he has it/ any upside than burgess. Burgess has no upside and is usual output is pretty meh.
ROB - as others have already said and will continue to say

Berry - he seems much more of confident these days at taking the game on. Just two things related to turnovers:
- he tends to over cook his kicks, slightly too high and fast for teammates. Was doing this at sanfl as well. Need him to tidy it up since it will hurt us against top teams.
Keeps getting run down form Behind whilst having enough time to dispose of the ball. Good that he is trying to break lines but it happens often enough I thought it was worth highlighting.
Both things I stil notice in his sanfl games as well.
Nit picking in a Big win but Fix that and then combined with his great tackling we may have salvaged Berry

Bad:
Picked up a Cold so missed our biggest win of the season

His smother of Liam Ryan's kick in the 1st quarter wasn't too shabby, either.
There's some players who come in and just look assured from the get go

Simon Goodwin and Kane Johnson back in the day, Max Michalanney more recently. Nankervis has that too. Just seems composed at the level.

Whilst WCE were ordinary, it is somewhat reassuring that we're well ahead of them.

Most Crows fans probably felt a little nervous going into this game, especially without Rankine. I was wary after West Coast's win last week.

The win by itself means little, however if it acts as a confidence booster and we skittle Hawthorn and Richmond off the back of it, then happy skiing.

Ignored a lot today, his running patterns and effort has been a lot better the last 2 weeks, he burnt off an opponent and got flat out ignored a few times from the usual ‘senior’ suspects who were looking to either play it safe with short disposals or went for goal themselves.
Cook reminds me of a young James Hird, if he can develop his grunt we have a good player

Good:

I know obviously West Coast are a rabble at the moment, but this is a team we've historically had a poor record against, so it's good to be bringing in the wins against them while we can - First time we've ever won 5 straight games against them, and our overall record has come in from a poor 21W-30L record to a more respectable 26W-30L

if only we could ever one day make ground on our awful Collingwood record

I’m pretty sure Taylor will be the same. They have the skill set and vision that translates at all levels
The 2021 draft is looking like our best in quite a while. Add to that trading in our best player in Dawson and it was a pretty good offseason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What were the odds of ROB, Murphy and Keays all kicking goals from set shots in the same game?
ROB is not a terrible set shot. It's one of the many weird things about him as a player. Kicking action is absolutely dreadful and at times in open play he absolutely shanks them, but he's a reasonable set shot for goal and decent in general following a mark. Have seen him kick a few decent ones from 40ish.

Keays... yeah a poor set shot.

I felt so bad for Cook. In the last quarter, he put in 3 gut busting runs to the goal square. He was ignored the first 2 times, and the 3rd, the siren went just before it got to him. Poor bastard looked shattered.
Well-observed :thumbsupv1: and you can bet the Coaches noticed it as well.
Many players make good leads and/or long runs that go unrewarded but it's a sign of good teamwork.

There's some players who come in and just look assured from the get go

Simon Goodwin and Kane Johnson back in the day, Max Michalanney more recently. Nankervis has that too. Just seems composed at the level.
The sort of performance you're hoping for from a Chayce Jones as a first rounder but don’t get

Soligo, Michalanney, Nank - we’ve picked up some good ones. The trick is always timing their development to coincide with the availability of senior players like Tex to take you all the way

Good: Dawson, especially that ballistic 1st quarter. Getting close to being a top 10 player in the game if he’s not there already.
I’m not a big fan of Gerard Haley’s comments but noticed that he said Dawson was probably the best traded in player to any team in the past 10 years

bad : me going to a wine market Saturday night and loving the delightful reds, so much so i was excited and bought 12 - looked at the eftpos machine $500 - but push through make out your the powerball winner

sad: trying to recoup wine purchase by putting on ridiculous multis

ugly: having crazy legs of multis win but then supercoach takes off soligo -- why why why

dumb: hitting the roulette table with the refunded multi purchase x3
POTY

We need a gif of Nankervis getting around three WCE players and then hitting a target on his left. That was mint.
He's like the anti-McHenry. You think he's gotten himself into trouble but he doesn't panic, works his way through it and moves the ball to our advantage.

Here's a classic example of how the same event can be seen so differently by two posters:
The perfect game to get more exposure for Curtin, and give a debut to another of our first round picks languishing in the glorified amateur comp. Wasted opportunity, and to rub salt in the wound, takes off Soligo for a tactical sub at half time when we should be getting him running more through the midfield and getting exposure away from the likes of Laird and Keays.
+
Subbing off Soligo with a couple of short breaks coming up was the right move.
Fwiw, I favour the second opinion, but ED's interpretation makes sense, too.
(I'm feeling rather, uhhhh, conciliatory this morning --- a big win'll do that, lol@me!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back