Review Good/Bad vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Room for improvement:
Would rather give a few games to gollant to see if he has it/ any upside than burgess. Burgess has no upside and is usual output is pretty meh.
ROB - as others have already said and will continue to say

Berry - he seems much more of confident these days at taking the game on. Just two things related to turnovers:
- he tends to over cook his kicks, slightly too high and fast for teammates. Was doing this at sanfl as well. Need him to tidy it up since it will hurt us against top teams.
Keeps getting run down form Behind whilst having enough time to dispose of the ball. Good that he is trying to break lines but it happens often enough I thought it was worth highlighting.
Both things I stil notice in his sanfl games as well.
Nit picking in a Big win but Fix that and then combined with his great tackling we may have salvaged Berry

Bad:
Picked up a Cold so missed our biggest win of the season
I don't think Gollant has shown enough to warrant it. He may look a more talented player but his size lets him down for the role we need him to play. Isn't ever going to be first choice 22 & Burgess output whilst not flashy or exciting has been far better & more importantly consistent. In the end these guys are depth players & one guy seems to come in and have a steady output where as the other one has been patchy at best. Better to just have the guy who you know what you'll get plug in for the games we need him than the one you dont imo.

He's like the anti-McHenry. You think he's gotten himself into trouble but he doesn't panic, works his way through it and moves the ball to our advantage.
That's a pretty interesting way to describe him. Feels like he has a lot of near misses but seems to make it out. Not as smoothly as Milera who does the impossible but the same sort of style. Does occasionally get run down from behind but he's new & raw so no doubt will get better at all this.

Hence why I’m not a big fan, he usually doesn’t get it right 😄 Just interested that he put Dawson that highly
If we're going to be something we'd better hope that Dawson isn't even our best one.

No shade on our captain, but our fate is tied to Rankine meeting his potential now.

Well-observed :thumbsupv1: and you can bet the Coaches noticed it as well.
Many players make good leads and/or long runs that go unrewarded but it's a sign of good teamwork.
The important thing is he's starting to come on. Was looking shakey there for a bit but there's been some good signs lately thanks to Coaches sticking with him.

Ok I’ve got a few questions for you, right from the beginning our plan was to move the ball, to switch it so we made it harder for the intercepting defenders. It worked.

Why has it taken 11 games? Why didn’t we do this against Brisbane? Do you think we would have won instead of drawing?

And finally would you a Big Footy poster instigated it earlier than round 11?

This is a major frustration with Nicks, he’s so bloody slow in identifying and implementing a decent plan. 4 games to correct a shit game plan and midfield set up costing us finals, 11 games to learn about switching.

Thats why he deserves a comment in a 99 point win.

Had nothing to do with Brisbane (Collingwood and others) blocking off those easy switches here as West Coast we’re lazy and allowed us to do as we please.

Outside of the first few weeks when clearly the side couldn’t work through the more defensive style the team have been trying to be more free flowing

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

They haven't once been competitive away from home.

Pushed Sydney in gather round. Were in front at half time. But fair point they have been horrible in general away from home.

Imagine being one of those lucky teams that got them early at home to kick start the year

Last edited:
I’m not a big fan of Gerard Haley’s comments but noticed that he said Dawson was probably the best traded in player to any team in the past 10 years
Oh Gerard. Has got to that says whatever comes into his head at the time stage. Might be his last year.

Was a great trade for us but Jeremy Cameron probably has that tied up.

Here's a classic example of how the same event can be seen so differently by two posters:

+

Fwiw, I favour the second opinion, but ED's interpretation makes sense, too.
(I'm feeling rather, uhhhh, conciliatory this morning --- a big win'll do that, lol@me!)
I would have much rather subbed off Dawson if we’re talking about a key player getting a rest

Oh Gerard. Has got to that says whatever comes into his head at the time stage. Might be his last year.

Was a great trade for us but Jeremy Cameron probably has that tied up.
Reckon that’s 1 and Steven May would be number 2

Without those 2 trades, question whether those clubs would have won their flag?

That's a pretty interesting way to describe him. Feels like he has a lot of near misses but seems to make it out. Not as smoothly as Milera who does the impossible but the same sort of style. Does occasionally get run down from behind but he's new & raw so no doubt will get better at all this.
Nankervis has excellent spatial awareness, seems to know where all the players are and how to get out of trouble

McHenry has terrible spatial awareness and sometimes forgets there's players directly in front of him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The important thing is he's starting to come on. Was looking shakey there for a bit but there's been some good signs lately thanks to Coaches sticking with him.

It’s almost like the coaches were monitoring his development for signs that he had improved aspects of his game and now happy enough with him to persevere through the ups and downs

Nankervis has excellent spatial awareness, seems to know where all the players are and how to get out of trouble

McHenry has terrible spatial awareness and sometimes forgets there's players directly in front of him
I wasn't commenting on McHenry we all know his weaknesses already. Nankervis has been run down from behind on a few occasions though not in the last couple weeks that I recall. Regardless I think we're all big fans of Nank & can see he has a very important part of our future.

It’s almost like the coaches were monitoring his development for signs that he had improved aspects of his game and now happy enough with him to persevere through the ups and downs

Yeah I was loosing faith but def been pleased with recent weeks. Still lots of room to improve & build better fitness but definitely has been a bit harder & just finding his way to impact more steadily. This is one instance our coaches may have gotten the persisting with right. Fingers crossed.

Great to see Schoey back - in a bizarre way it almost feels like his achilles injury was a blessing in disguise. He had gotten into a bit of a funk the last couple of years. Seeing him runaround yesterday there were definite signs of the player who took us by storm in his first year.

Perhaps it was the hard reset he really needed?

I’m not a big fan of Gerard Haley’s comments but noticed that he said Dawson was probably the best traded in player to any team in the past 10 years
These guys love hyperbole though. David King's top 3 players in the comp has about 20 players in it depending on what game he's watching.

Good - Just about everything, but particularly Jones work over the whole ground and Butts' defensive effort on Waterman who's been dangerous. Dawson's first Q was as immense as anything you'll see this year.

Bad - Not necessarily THAT bad, but Jeez Crouch & Laird both not bothering with applying pressure when the ball gets outside the contest is a bit concerning from me. Crouch with 1 tackle for the game. I just noticed it several times yesterday that a lot of the gut running was being left to Jones and Keays outside the contest, particularly Laird plodding along at times and letting players run past him. He's definitely lost a yard of pace and seems to routinely get caught HTB these days. Not a massive issue, but i can see why some teams have torched us out of the middle at times, and coming up against a Hawks midfield outfit that are firing has some alarm bells ringing for me.

Ugly. The sun in my eyes for the first half, terrible time slot.

McHenry doesn't have object permanence. If you can't see the opponent he's not there.

Here's a classic example of how the same event can be seen so differently by two posters:

+

Fwiw, I favour the second opinion, but ED's interpretation makes sense, too.
(I'm feeling rather, uhhhh, conciliatory this morning --- a big win'll do that, lol@me!)

I can imagine Soligo is probably getting a bit tired and sore after a limited preseason.

Bad

Certain posters trying to convince you this game means something, and we should be happy beating a bottom 2 side.

It is a classic downhill skiing Nicks performance. Once the heat gets turned up we will fold as we have done throughout his reign.

Onto next week, no highlights at training please.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Man there are some sooks on this board. Imagine being that upset and bitter that you can't enjoy when your team has just won a game by 99 points.

Nobody is claiming we are now premiership favorites because we smashed West Coast at home, but it is a bit rough telling posters that they are not allowed be happy after a win like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back