mule

Team Captain
Dec 29, 2005
NSW South Coast
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Hi, just wondering what peoples thoughts are on good places to live around melbourne, up to about 2 hours from the city. good family area's up to 300-400 thousand dollar homes? near the beach or in the bush?
any ideas?

ta

For $300-$400K you won't get anything half decent near the beach within 2 hrs of the Melbourne CBD (Talking houses, not flats).

For that price range - you could buy something nice in the Yarra Valley Ranges (Warburton, Yarra Junction area), Macedon Ranges (Romsey, Macedon, Kyneton) - all commutable to the city for work.

Or Ballarat and Bendigo (probably just stretching the 2 hrs via car if commuting) if you want to get away that little bit further.

Geelong's in the distance & price range - but would feel unethical recommending an interstater to live there.;)

Lidge said:
Geelong's in the distance & price range - but would feel unethical recommending an interstater to live there.;)
lol
smilieA5.gif

5 minutes from beach:
Frankston Sth, Mt Martha, Mornington.
And about an hour from the city.

too easy.

peternorth said:
wantirna south. the new eastlink freeway will be finished in a few years linking the south eastern and eastern freeways. i live right next to it!

only problem is wantirna south is around 400K plus.

. . . and it's full of hillsong church types and every single house looks the same.

rick James said:
. . . and it's full of hillsong church types and every single house looks the same.

except for me. yes my house looks the same as the others on the lot, but its because the one builder did them all.

and i am thanking god im out of ringwood. place for young single mothers, bogans and deadbeats. i swear by breathing the air in eastlands you can get pregnant.

peternorth said:
except for me. yes my house looks the same as the others on the lot, but its because the one builder did them all.

and i am thanking god im out of ringwood. place for young single mothers, bogans and deadbeats. i swear by breathing the air in eastlands you can get pregnant.

Ringwood at least has character, but anyway, I don't live in Ringwood.

Wantirna South = everyone living in an identical box.

rick James said:
Ringwood at least has character, but anyway, I don't live in Ringwood.

Wantirna South = everyone living in an identical box.

but a nice box nevertheless, compared to ringwoods cardboard box :D

character = deadbeats, frequent visitors of centrelink.

the only night i leave my car parked on ringwood street at night its broken into. bad memories of the place indeed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

portentous said:
Templestowe. I lived there for 3 years and loved it. Straight down the eastern freeway to the city, and right on the fringe of the "bush". Warrandyte, Eltham are nice also.
We have a winner! I would love to live there when I return to Melbourne. I always loved going there when I was younger to visit family.

Echuca is great. :thumbsu:

Fantastic in the summer to be able to just pop down the river on any old arvo and bring your boat if you got one. Most the people are nice and the pubs are good. It's got all the main shopping places now (Big W, Target), which it didn't have several years ago, which generally meant a trip to shepparton. :thumbsdown:

About 2.5 hours from the city, 2 hours if speed signs don't mean much to you. :eek:

FrangaRoo said:
5 minutes from beach:
Frankston Sth, Mt Martha, Mornington.
And about an hour from the city.

too easy.
Definately agree but 300-400k won't get you much.

Lidge said:
For $300-$400K you won't get anything half decent near the beach within 2 hrs of the Melbourne CBD (Talking houses, not flats).

For that price range - you could buy something nice in the Yarra Valley Ranges (Warburton, Yarra Junction area), Macedon Ranges (Romsey, Macedon, Kyneton) - all commutable to the city for work.

Or Ballarat and Bendigo (probably just stretching the 2 hrs via car if commuting) if you want to get away that little bit further.

Definetly - There would be many options at this price range around the Kyneton, Trentham area.

If you want something near the beach try Phillip Island and in particular Rhyll - your price range would get you a place a street of two from the water. Rhyll is a great little spot on the island and is 90 mins from Melb or 60 mins from the southern subs.

the macedon ranges looks like a pretty good area. i will have to have a look around down there when i get some holidays. thanks everyone for you replies.

peternorth said:

Do you ever go into the wrong house.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back