Goodes and Monfries incidents

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought it should have been a free kick - not quite sure though. Ball was fairly well gone. Goodes did everything right not to hit him dangerously.
Definitely not a report.

Riewoldt did everything to avoid contact copped three. Goodes has to be gone.

Are those photos blocked for Swans supporters on here?

On that first picture, and I'm assuming Monfries dropped the ball when first hit by Goodes, he surely should have tackled, hits him high, and therefore will be cited.

Riewoldt was done on this recently, and Buddy repeatedly.

Goodes is in trouble.

On that first picture, and I'm assuming Monfries dropped the ball when first hit by Goodes, he surely should have tackled, hits him high, and therefore will be cited.

Goodes is in trouble.

Since you haven't seen it it's probably best you don't make a judgement based on wrong assumptions.

Goodes is in trouble.

You'd be incorrect in your assumption.

From memory Monfries had the ball moments before the collision but it was knocked from his hands by a team mate.

Goodes was initially going in for the tackle but had to adjust as the ball spilled free. He had basically no choice at all in his actions....

If he had elected to tackle it would have been a clear free kick.

Good solid hit, he didn't dip his shoulder or anything, was just a great hit.

It's what footy is about.

8 weeks most likely.

Absolutely nothing in it. Monfries got a bit of a shock and stayed down for a moment, then thought "Oh yeah, I promised to change my ways" and got up. Correct decision, play on.

Gotta admit that made me laugh.

However regarding the incident itself i must admit in the spur of the moment i thought it was a free (copious scotch and my essendon bias probably helped that) but after seeing the replay and reading some other posts, have to agree there was nothing there and play on was the right call. Never even thought about suspending the bloke.

But now that iv said that he will probably get 2 weeks and we can all just scratch our heads and continue to wonder where it is the MRP are getting that fine fine stuff they must all be smoking...

As has been said time and time again, all we want is some consistency. Its ridiculous that as spectators of the sport 50 of us see the same incident and manage to come up with 50 different outcomes, because we all compare the one incident at hand with 50 other different incidents we all saw as similar but the MRP handled differently (if that makes sense, best i could word it). I dont think that would be the case in any other sport in the world ever.

Ben Johnson did same type of bump on Robbie Grey and is offered a reprimand.

Goodes does a bump and AFL says - ok that's ok carry on.

MRP piss off waste of time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL the AFL,S Love child walks free. What a joke.

"After...receiving a medical report from the Essendon Football Club, which stated there was no high contact to player Monfries and he had not been treated for any injury..."

The problem though is that it doesn't matter what Goodes or Judd do they simply will not be suspended as the AFL sees them as marketing tools.

In this situation I think the decision is correct and he is clear to play but in previous incidents he has got away with murder.

He or Judd could walk onto the field with a knife and stab someone and the MRP would deem it insufficient force.

So the MRP now use the following criteria to assess incidents:
Was the incident deliberate?
How hard was the impact?
Was the impact high?
Was the player injured?
And is the player reported a valuable marketing tool (this supersedes all other considerations) ?

You'd be incorrect in your assumption.

From memory Monfries had the ball moments before the collision but it was knocked from his hands by a team mate.

Goodes was initially going in for the tackle but had to adjust as the ball spilled free. He had basically no choice at all in his actions....

If he had elected to tackle it would have been a clear free kick.

Just watched the MRP video, and agree with what you say above. I hope the MRP can assess future similar instances like this one:thumbsu:

Can't believe this wasn't a free kick. How can an umpire who calls high contact for a stroke of the shoulder in a tackle see this incident and not give a free kick for high contact? I agree it wasn't worthy of a suspension but surely on first look you could not say that it wasn't high contact.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/...kippers-for-crucial-clash-20110808-1ijba.html

Congrats to the Dons for their honesty in their medical report that said there was no high contact.

This...

They could have done what Geelong did when Mumford 'sling' tackled Ablett.

Geelong produced a medical report claiming head injury, concussion etc even though he didnt leave the field, bounced to his feet, won the next 5 contests in a row and went on to be best on ground.

Mumford got 2 weeks for a fair tackle and it set the precedent for all future 'sling' tackles.

It was a dog act from Geelong FC and payback for losing Mumford and now we all paying for stupid rule.

The problem though is that it doesn't matter what Goodes or Judd do they simply will not be suspended as the AFL sees them as marketing tools.

In this situation I think the decision is correct and he is clear to play but in previous incidents he has got away with murder.

He or Judd could walk onto the field with a knife and stab someone and the MRP would deem it insufficient force.

So the MRP now use the following criteria to assess incidents:
Was the incident deliberate?
How hard was the impact?
Was the impact high?
Was the player injured?
And is the player reported a valuable marketing tool (this supersedes all other considerations) ?

Do you know what evidence is? I love the idea that because he has won 2 brownlows he is the 'umpire's love child' and hence that translates into automatic free kicks. Well, it doesn't. The statistics show that he has been penalised and has received more frees against then frees for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back