Rumour Goodwin under close scrutiny

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he’s being a bit ambitious with the $20k asking price for the Crom jumper. A really average team that got hot when it mattered.

The Dees destroyed the Crows in the finals in 98.

If it wasn't for the AFL's SA bias we would have won the flag that year. Clearly we were the best side in it

Having AFL accreditation is about the AFL having a measure of control over journalists, it isnt a measure of a journalist being good or not good
Absolutely, the afl is run like westfarmers thanks to Goyder. A collection of tightly controlled clubs ‘retailers’ , and media

The Dees destroyed the Crows in the finals in 98.

If it wasn't for the AFL's SA bias we would have won the flag that year. Clearly we were the best side in it
Massive asterisk on teams who win from outside the top 4. Crows we’re lucky that North and Bulldogs s**t the bed two weeks in a row. They showed their true mediocrity when the Dees pumped them at the G week 1.

But not speed demons. Cocaine demons doesn't have quite the same ring to it though.
"Dust Demons" is the best I could do. Bringing new meaning to the stereotype of the club being fond of their visits to the "snow".

Stand-Up Lol GIF by Muppet Wiki

I'm not sure if the rumours are true RE: 🧊🎰, it wouldn't shock me at all if they are, maybe '97 has a bigger spot in his heart than '98 and he needs to recoup whatever he lost in his divorce, but still can't imagine someone selling their premiership jumper unless they really had to.

I think it's worth saying, a lot of people in high performance jobs are functional drug addicts, I reckon it's a certainty that 9/10 AFL coaches are prescribed therapeutic amphetamines - Ritalin, Vyvanse etc. it wouldn't be an even playing field if they weren't all taking it since those meds are basically PEDs for people in 'always on' roles, and they're entirely legal. They turn people into stone bastions of concentration.
One guy I know who's prescribed them once said to me 'I get so much done now that I don't have to sleep anymore'....
Cow manure.... you reckon, 90 percent of afl coaches on the speed.

Cow manure.... you reckon, 90 percent of afl coaches on the speed.
Yup. Have you seen the level of concentration coaches have in the box?
Amphetamine prescriptions have gone up 200% in the last few years. They're prescribed for many things - from ADHD to general concentration issues to weight loss... it's very easy to shop around for a willing doctor if you've got the money and time.
Like I said it wouldn't be an even playing field if they weren't all on them since they're basically PEDs for paying attention.

Massive asterisk on teams who win from outside the top 4. Crows we’re lucky that North and Bulldogs s**t the bed two weeks in a row. They showed their true mediocrity when the Dees pumped them at the G week 1.

You can put an asterisk on any flag.

When it mattered, they showed up and won.

Winners win, losers can…

Must have a serious gambling problem. The Club and the AFL know what's going on and won't do anything to pull him in line. If he's in this deep that he needs to sell what I imagine would be one of his most prized possessions, how long until he starts making a few strange match-day moves - or has he already?
A couple of close finals losses with a lot of poor coaching moves might need a review.
A non issue, Goodwins never made a match day move mate

Why would the Crows want Goodwin back as coach, given all the off field issues he has ?
They are better off sticking with Nicks or Buckley if the Crows miss finals in 2024

Nicks and The AFC have done a fairly decent job repairing their club's image and culture after the fallout of that infamous pre season camp.

Bringing back Goodwin in some capacity to West Lakes would undo a lot of good work Adelaide has done repairing their club's standing and image over the past 4-5 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would the Crows want Goodwin back as coach, given all the off field issues he has ?
They are better off sticking with Nicks or Buckley if the Crows miss finals in 2024

Nicks and The AFC have done a fairly decent job repairing their club's image and culture after the fallout of that infamous pre season camp.

Bringing back Goodwin in some capacity to West Lakes would undo a lot of good work Adelaide has done repairing their club's standing and image over the past 4-5 years.
Adelaide already have the man responsible for Melbourne 2021 premiership at their club - Darren Burgess. If they can also get Chocco Williams down there, they will lead Adelaide to a premiership in the next 3 years.

Adelaide already have the man responsible for Melbourne 2021 premiership at their club - Darren Burgess. If they can also get Chocco Williams down there, they will lead Adelaide to a premiership in the next 3 years.

Crows probably 2 gun midfielders and maybe a better first ruck option away from being serious flag contenders (from an on field personnel view) but I get your point..

Doubt a dyed in the wool Port Adelaide Man in Choco would ever agree to join the Crows in some kind of coaching capacity tbh but who knows ?

Melbourne crisis: Former club doctor issues legal letter to Demons​

Melbourne’s board room turmoil has taken a new twist with a former club employee seeking access to explosive documents at the centre of the Simon Goodwin saga.
Michael Warner

3 min read
February 16, 2022 - 6:50PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
Melbourne coach [PLAYERCARD]Simon Goodwin[/PLAYERCARD] is at the centre of the former club doctor’s allegations. Picture: Mark Stewart

Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin is at the centre of the former club doctor’s allegations. Picture: Mark Stewart

Melbourne

Don't miss out on the headlines from Melbourne. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
Melbourne’s former head doctor has issued a legal letter to the club, seeking the surrender of a series of documents surrounding his sudden sacking.
Lawyers for Zeeshan Arain want access to key emails and other papers amid concerns chief executive Gary Pert breached an agreement not to disparage him as part of a secret six-figure payment to settle an unlawful dismissal dispute.
Stream every match of every round of the 2022 Toyota AFL Premiership Season Live & Ad-Break Free During Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-days free now.
In a scathing December 2020 email sent by Pert to Demons board members – revealed by the Herald Sun last week – the CEO declared “one of the main reasons I terminated Zee’s (Dr Arain’s) contract is that I had lost trust in his honesty and integrity, which is completely unacceptable for a head doctor”.
The email was sent the night before a crisis meeting relating to an investigation into claims of serious behavioural issues and bullying by senior coach Simon Goodwin.
Dr Arain’s lawyer, Mark Comito of Stal Employment Lawyers, yesterday (Wednesday) told the Herald Sun his client was “considering all of his legal options regarding the references made about him and will seek to exhaust any legal avenues open to him regarding the matter”.
[PLAYERCARD]Simon Goodwin[/PLAYERCARD] and Melbourne CEO Gary Pert in 2020. Picture: Michael Klein

Simon Goodwin and Melbourne CEO Gary Pert in 2020. Picture: Michael Klein
He declined to comment on whether an approach had already been made to the club.
The Herald Sun last week revealed that Dr Arain had been sacked just days after raising concerns about the club’s culture, including alleged bullying by Goodwin, in a lengthy telephone conversation with Pert in October 2020.
Lawyers for Dr Arain hit the club with an unlawful dismissal claim, which led to a significant settlement in late November 2020. As part of the deal, Dr Arain was also required to co-operate with a board investigation into the bullying claims.

Then-president Glen Bartlett conducted a subsequent interview with Dr Arain on December 11, 2020, when the board first became aware of more serious allegations of behaviour and lifestyle issues by Goodwin.
The board canvassed standing Goodwin down, and even briefed AFL chiefs Gillon McLachlan and Richard Goyder in early February 2021.
But no action against Goodwin was ultimately taken, with Bartlett joining Dr Arain as a casualty of the internal turmoil, when he was forced out as president in April last year.
In an email to club chiefs on December 21, 2020, Bartlett had described Dr Arain as “in effect a ‘whistleblower’ ”, alleging Goodwin had behavioural problems, adding “some staff knew about this in January 2020”.
Former Melbourne club doctor Zeeshan Arain has issued a legal letter to the Demons. Picture: Tony Gough

Former Melbourne club doctor Zeeshan Arain has issued a legal letter to the Demons. Picture: Tony Gough
A series of documents uncovered by the Herald Sun reveal Pert lambasted Dr Arain during the club investigation, despite the fact Melbourne had signed a non-disparagement agreement with the long-time medico.
In one email to the board, Pert wrote: “When dealing with Zee on issues, he consistently changed his stories when I challenged him on details and his stories rarely matched up to other people involved …
He also described Dr Arain’s evidence as “full of inaccuracies, misrepresentations and a rewriting of history, which was a frustration to all he was accusing”.
In a reply to Pert and club directors on December 21, 2020, Bartlett – a workplace lawyer – warned: “As part of the settlement Dr Arain is required to co-operate with me (or my delegate) regarding matters associated with the workplace bullying allegations he made against the senior coach.

More Coverage​

The day Dees told Goodwin they had a problem
Dees mute on doc’s claims of concussion pressure
“The deed places, among other things, specific obligations on members of the exec (and directors) not to disparage Dr Arain.
“We don’t want to get into a situation where Dr Arain claims we have breached the deed, terminates the deed and commences litigation …”
Melbourne last week rejected allegations of misconduct by Goodwin, but the legal manoeuvrings by Dr Arain’s camp threaten to shed new light on the issues plaguing the club on the eve of its 2021 premiership season.

Where there's smoke, there's fire, I guess. I do know this, We had a lad come back to S.A to play with us 2016/2017 after 3 years on Melbourne's list. Many times he spoke very highly of Dr. Arain. In fact, he would ring him while he was with us for advice. Said, he was well regarded by the Melbourne players. I think Dr. Arain may have been collateral damage as a dissenting voice. Melbourne did have to pay him an undisclosed amount in settlement.

Fish rots from the head.

Funny how the Pies had similar issues under Pert. "Volcanic behavior'.

This is another related article.....

Melbourne crisis: Demons defend approach to player welfare, but refuse to be drawn on doc’s claims over concussed player Angus Brayshaw​

Melbourne refused to be drawn on claims coach Simon Goodwin pressured its club doctor over concussed Angus Brayshaw, but the Demons have defended their approach to player welfare.
Lauren Wood Lauren Wood
Follow
@LaurenHeraldSun

7 min read
February 9, 2022 - 7:17PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
Angus Brayshaw at Melbourne training on Wednesday. Picture: Getty Images

Angus Brayshaw at Melbourne training on Wednesday. Picture: Getty Images

Melbourne

Don't miss out on the headlines from Melbourne. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
Melbourne has defended its governance of player welfare but refuses to answer questions over allegations coach Simon Goodwin pressured a former club doctor not to rest concussed midfielder Angus Brayshaw.
The club also failed on Wednesday to address allegations of a fiery exchange in which Goodwin questioned Dr Zeeshan Arain’s advice that Brayshaw needed to go home and rest “following an exacerbation of his concussion symptoms”.
SCROLL DOWN TO READ MORE ABOUT ALLEGATIONS OF AN EXPLETIVE-LADEN TIRADE
Dr Arain was sacked as Melbourne’s senior doctor in October 2020 just days after raising concerns with CEO Gary Pert over the club’s culture.
His legal claim, resulting in a six-figure payout, detailed a series of alleged bullying incidents involving Goodwin.
Among them was a claim that Goodwin had delivered an abusive tirade to Dr Arain after the medico advised that Brayshaw required more rest after another head knock.
Stream every match of every round of the 2022 Toyota AFL Premiership Season Live & Ad-Break Free During Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-days free now.
Angus Brayshaw at Melbourne training on Wednesday. Picture: Picture: Getty Images

Angus Brayshaw at Melbourne training on Wednesday. Picture: Picture: Getty Images
While not responding directly to the Brayshaw claims, Melbourne said in a statement on its website the club: “wants to be very clear on the importance it places on player welfare and concussion management.
“The club doctor solely decides if the player is concussed and when they can return to training or to play. This is a policy that we have always followed since the AFL Concussion Policy was created.

“Further to this, it is part of the club’s governance that every year the club doctor attends either a board meeting or a board subcommittee meeting and this has occurred since 2014.
“This communication process was established to create the appropriate channel for the club doctor to raise any concerns they may have regarding occurrences within the Football Program, with the Board Directors and CEO.
“As a matter of governance, in each meeting, inquiries are made of the club doctor whether he or she had experienced any pressure from a coach or staff member regarding returning a player from concussion to training or playing earlier than the club doctor recommended.
“No concerns have been raised to the Board or CEO at these board meetings by any club doctor since the policy was created in 2014.”

‘F***en fair dinkum’: Doc’s claims of Goodwin abuse revealed

—Michael Warner
Premiership coach Simon Goodwin delivered an abusive, expletive-riddled tirade to Melbourne’s senior doctor in a bid to pressure him not to rest concussed player Angus Brayshaw, the medico alleged in legal papers.
The fiery exchange allegedly took place after Goodwin questioned long-time club head doctor Zeeshan Arain’s advice that Brayshaw needed to go home “following an exacerbation of his concussion symptoms”.
“Are we f---en fair dinkum,” Goodwin was alleged to have asked Dr Arain.
“Why the f--- would you change the plan when we agreed he could push through his comfort zone. F---ing (player’s name) was at Chadstone with his mates last Thursday but is f---en concussed today.”
The alleged conversation was included in legal documents lodged with the Melbourne Football Club by Dr Arain’s lawyers as part of an unlawful dismissal dispute in October 2020.
Detailing “unreasonable behaviour” by the coach, a legal letter stated “one player had suffered a concussion and a plan was devised for his recovery including rest”.
Melbourne midfield gun Angus Brayshaw with coach Simon Goodwin. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images

Melbourne midfield gun Angus Brayshaw with coach Simon Goodwin. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images
“According to our client (Dr Arain), Mr Goodwin voiced his extreme displeasure about the decision to rest the player …,” the legal letter said.
“After attempting to explain his recommendation to Mr Goodwin, Mr Goodwin continued to swear and talk over our client, suggesting that the player was exaggerating his symptoms and our client (Dr Arain) was not managing him properly.”
Clubs have been under increasing pressure to put the wellbeing of concussed players first amid compelling evidence of a link between repeated head knocks and the devastating brain disease chronic traumatic encephalopathy, which can only be diagnosed after death.
Graham “Polly” Farmer, Danny Frawley and Shane Tuck were all diagnosed with CTE.
Many more players have launched, or are launching, legal actions against the AFL and clubs relating to mental health issues linked to repeated head knocks, with CTE symptoms including memory loss, confusion, depression and anxiety.
Last year, the AFL introduced a mandatory 12-day rest for all players diagnosed with concussion, but new research reveals the brain might need up to a month to heal, with a growing push for a 30-day stand-down period.
Melbourne’s club doctor Zeeshan Arain, pictured in 2017. Picture: Tony Gough

Melbourne’s club doctor Zeeshan Arain, pictured in 2017. Picture: Tony Gough
Wingman Brayshaw has suffered a series of head knocks and wears a helmet during games.
The 26-year-old premiership star has said he even considered taking some time away from footy due to the impact of repeated knocks early in his career.
“There were times when I was prepared, if it was the best thing, maybe to step away from the game,” Brayshaw said.
Dr Arain, in his October 2020 legal letter to the club, also accused Goodwin of bullying in relation to end-of-season surgeries in 2018.
The medicos’ lawyers said: “Mr Goodwin telephoned Dr Arain expressing his frustration about all surgeries and particularly regarding one player who had not yet received surgery … Mr Goodwin became irate expecting all surgeries to be completed within 72 hours of the last game, saying ‘You’re f---ing around. (The player) is an A-grade player and we need training in the pre-season ASAP. All this f---ing around has taken up valuable time. Are we f---en here to do our job and win games of football or are we here to f--- around?’
“He then abruptly hung up on our client.”

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back