Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Richmond by a little

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Richmond by a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Did the Norm Smith voters just look at Dusty's don't argues? Houli and Prestia were both better than him when the game was on the line.

Mmmm I thought Adelaide won enough of the ball in the middle 2 quarters but fell down at that transition to forward. There were a lot of high bombs out to the centre but no one really hitting up anyone on a lead. And indeed not a lot of hard leading. Both Crouches were very good in getting the ball, but their outside runners were more useless than Richmonds.

Seemed to be more of a structural thing combined with a lack of effort up forward by Jenkins in particular. Tex is slow as anyway, he's never going to pressure - he simply can't. The 3-4 (depending how you count Lynch) tall structure they have works amazing when the delivery is even halfway good. When it is s**t as it was yesterday, a good opposition simply waltzes out with it.

I'm not really sure what Richmond's win means for us. I hope it means nothing really, because it was a touch reminiscent of the older style we're trying to move away from. I think the 'don't need a KPF' thing is overblown. You have to get to the finals first, then you have to get to top-4, then you have to get to the GF. Inevitably the vast majority of these teams have a gun KPF year after year. Even if they don't kick a bag they help with structure and bringing the ball to ground. And it's the talent factor, not just any old lump. You can throw as many Kerstens or Clarkes up there and it won't make much of a difference. What I am certain of is that the back-line and midfield are just as important - Houli and Rance were critical. There we have the personnel, it is about getting them to develop and working out what we want to do stylistically.

Last edited:

You'd think that would be obvious to anyone who'd watched more than a couple of games of AFL before, but it has to be explained to people on here pretty much every week.
And it has to be explained to you pretty much every week that having and playing three key talls is NOT the be all and end all when it comes to forming a premiership winning side..
Im still keen to hear your thoughts on how Richmond ,playing ONE key tall (the same height as mccarthy i might add) beat your gun kpf laden team so comprehensively?

The midfield's job isn't just to win the ball at the contest, although that's where it invariably begins. It's also to progress the ball forward through run/carry and passing it by hand or foot. And lastly to connect with forwards such that a goal scoring opportunity is realised. Adelaide did step 1 OK yesterday, but guys like Douglas, Mackay, Greenwood and Atkins were toilet.

And it has to be explained to you pretty much every week that having and playing three key talls is NOT the be all and end all when it comes to forming a premiership winning side..
Im still keen to hear your thoughts on how Richmond ,playing ONE key tall (the same height as mccarthy i might add) beat your gun kpf laden team so comprehensively?

Midfield dominance.

Brendan Gale and Peggy O’Neal should get a lot of the credit. Would have been easy to move Dimma on and get a new coach and go into rebuild mode, but they hung tough. They did a thorough football review and made the big calls that needed to happen. Swapped out almost every assistant coach to get the right support around Dimma. If only Alcock and Roisch could be so brave and follow suit. Although, it must be difficult trying to lure talented assistants across the nullabor, especially since most will have young families. Four year rebuild it is. Heave ho!
Isn't that what Tom Morris is getting paid for to review coaching performance?

Am I right, or am I right?! Been saying for years Taylor Walker is incredibly overrated and useless in big games.

Adelaide losing by so much was a massive shock, but losing wasn't too much of a surprise. Forward line choking in a big game was expected. Don't think Adelaide are as close to a flag as everyone thinks they are, massive reality check.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I rate Tex Walker pretty highly, but I Think on the Tuesday when they do their review they will quickly come to the conclusion you can't play two or more lumbering forwards in the same team, you just lose too much forward pressure in the modern game.

Bit of a story of my day
Junior is 17 & was going to watch the game with mates, but the best bud was crook, so he decided to join his dad.
Him 187 cm & 85kg not an ounce of fat vs me 4cm less, but much heavier, so he looks even taller.
He has the long hair & mine is much shorter.
We both wore Freo tops, but I also wore a Tigers scarf.
Walking from the cbd 2 the G, a number of people mistook him for Fyfey.
Proud dad moment when he gave thumbs up to kids who waved at him & yesterday in his similar outfit he had selfies taken with him by drunk people who thought he was Fyfe.
Crazy thing is, as we went too far around the G & started walking back we bumped into Nathan Fyfe who said "hey boys" & shook our hands.
I told him that people kept thinking my son was him & Fyfey laughed, but we were both so starstuck that we forgot what he said to us as we walked away.
We then walked into Richmond & watched the game at the Richmond Social Club, before walking back.
Andy Lee from Hamish & Andy fame, joked about our Freo gear & we had a laugh, before Dermott Brereton did the same thing, but couldn't hear my reply as he was about to go live, so he had an earpiece & couldn't hear the crowd. They were both friendly as opposed to rude, & having met Dermott a couple of times before, he has always been genuine.
Junior waved at a few other people as Fyfey, but by the time we got to a Fed Square he had to remove his shades & so the Fyfe thing disappeared.
We had a bloody great day & because he was with me, I didn't drink, so it was cheap as well.
On the red wine now.
1 bottle down
Go Freo!
Well I told one of my boys to back Tigers for the Flag 4 weeks ago before their first final, Told him they have home ground advantage and their first two finals will be in front of 95+K tiger fans with GF dilluted do to restrictions on ticket allocation for competing sides But still playing on their home ground. $40 invested for a $130 collect- Thanks Dad!!

I rate Tex Walker pretty highly, but I Think on the Tuesday when they do their review they will quickly come to the conclusion you can't play two or more lumbering forwards in the same team, you just lose too much forward pressure in the modern game.

Jerkins is overrated as *, but their issue is the midfield. If Adelaide draw even with Richmond in the contested ball numbers then they should win.

Nothing wrong with their offence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You think a single game will make them come to that conclusion? It worked pretty well for them all year, including the only other time they played Richmond this year when they won by 76 points.

Losing a grand final sucks, but the result of a single game shouldn't overshadow the review of the season in total.

6 of the last 7 grand finals have been won by the home (Victorian) team against interstate opponents. And the exception was when Hawthorn kicked themselves out of the game in 2012.

If you ask me that home ground advantage was a much bigger factor on the day than Jenkins' and Ottens' poor game was.

Last edited:
Victorian Teams:

-Travel less.
-Have the GF played in their home state.
-Get more MCG experience

#AFLEquality

Everyone will say that an oval is just a patch of grass with goal posts at the ends, blah blah blah, but people wouldn’t be whinging about the home ground advantage if it wasn’t a factor.

The only time the MCG is neutral ground in a GF is when 2 Interstate sides are playing or 2 sides that are not using it as their home ground. Even then, all Victorian sides have more runs on the MCG than interstate sides.

It would be fairer if the higher placed of the the two grand finalists should have the privilege of hosting the GF to reward them for their performance all season (and conversely benefit the host state), but that won’t happen until the MCG contract expires - if at all, ever. It’s just always going to be a given that an interstate side’s path to a flag will always be harder and the bar higher than a Vic team.

Jerkins is overrated as ****, but their issue is the midfield. If Adelaide draw even with Richmond in the contested ball numbers then they should win.

Nothing wrong with their offence.

I kinda agree and disagree with you I think!

Their midfield was excellent basically all year but poor in the grand final. I even thought Greenwood was a beast until his calf shot him down. Certainly if they get Gibbs they challenge again for mine, maybe even without him.

We both agree that Jenkins is overrated as **** but you feel there is nothing wrong with their offence. To me Jenkins never plays again in that team and they back McGovern 100% of the time and it will pay off in spades.

You think a single game will make them come to that conclusion? It worked pretty well for them all year, including the only other time they played Richmond this year when they won by 76 points.

Losing a grand final sucks, but the result of a single game shouldn't overshadow the review of the season in total.

6 of the last 7 grand finals have been won by the home (Victorian) team against interstate opponents. And the exception was when Hawthorn kicked themselves out of the game in 2012.

If you ask me that home ground advantage was a much bigger factor on the day than Jenkins' and Ottens' poor game was.

Get what you are saying but for mine Jenkins was playing a seagull role all year rather than any important key position role. Do not rate, McGovern is the way forward for them.

Get what you are saying but for mine Jenkins was playing a seagull role all year rather than any important key position role. Do not rate, McGovern is the way forward for them.

He's also there to chop out for Jacobs. One thing Richmond have done this year that very few other teams do is play a single ruckman with no backup whatsoever. It's great if it works out, and luck has gone their way to a fair extent in that respect. A minor injury to their only ruckman and the game is gone.

There were a couple of times yesterday when Nankervis couldn't make it to the contest so Richmond deliberately didn't nominate anyone and just looked to rove off Jacobs.

Everyone will say that an oval is just a patch of grass with goal posts at the ends, blah blah blah, but people wouldn’t be whinging about the home ground advantage if it wasn’t a factor.

The only time the MCG is neutral ground in a GF is when 2 Interstate sides are playing or 2 sides that are not using it as their home ground. Even then, all Victorian sides have more runs on the MCG than interstate sides.

It would be fairer if the higher placed of the the two grand finalists should have the privilege of hosting the GF to reward them for their performance all season (and conversely benefit the host state), but that won’t happen until the MCG contract expires - if at all, ever. It’s just always going to be a given that an interstate side’s path to a flag will always be harder and the bar higher than a Vic team.

Best of 3 GF fixes it, highest ranked team has 2 home games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Victorian Teams:

-Travel less.
-Have the GF played in their home state.
-Get more MCG experience

#AFLEquality
Richmond would be use to playing in front of massive crowds at the MCG. Adelaide haven't experienced that. MCG factor and having more fans, which usually leads to umpires making poor decisions based on the fans making noise, is a massive factor.

Isn't that what Tom Morris is getting paid for to review coaching performance?
Who knows what he’s doing. I thought he came in because RTB didn’t have time to be developing coaches and players. I thought the rowing dude was meant to just help with assistant coach development - whatever that looks like.

Adelaide looked like Freo in the first derby this season; couldn't get it out of defence and kicked it to Gov (Rance) going forward. I still think Adelaide was the best team of the year, they just had a bad day st the office. I place some blame on Pyke for not trying to change/man up Rance earlier. He has been exposed when he has to defend one on one and isn't allowed to be the spare man at the contest.

Adelaide looked like Freo in the first derby this season; couldn't get it out of defence and kicked it to Gov (Rance) going forward. I still think Adelaide was the best team of the year, they just had a bad day st the office. I place some blame on Pyke for not trying to change/man up Rance earlier. He has been exposed when he has to defend one on one and isn't allowed to be the spare man at the contest.
He put Otten on Rance at the start. It didn't work, Pyke had no plan B. That was a seriously poor coaching performance by Pyke. Had no plan B for anything.

He put Otten on Rance at the start. It didn't work, Pyke had no plan B. That was a seriously poor coaching performance by Pyke. Had no plan B for anything.

Why not try shift Jenkins, Lynch or Walker onto him? Push Lynch, Walker and Otten up the ground and let Jenkins, Betts and Cameron have the forward 50? Literally anything would've been better than nothing.

Back