Game Day Grand final thread (feat. inexperience watch)

Remove this Banner Ad

I've disliked Selwood for years but I've completely changed my opinion on him today.

Yeah, I've got to admit I found it difficult to hate on him today.

To play for 15 years at AFL level, maintain your playing standards and fitness and achieve what he has achieved deserves respect.

Yeah, I've got to admit I found it difficult to hate on him today.

To play for 15 years at AFL level, maintain your playing standards and fitness and achieve what he has achieved deserves respect.

I still don't like the ducking but to be fair, basically every player ducks and plays for frees now. Was a very special moment for him today and seeing his reaction to his goal was the only interesting thing that happened for 4 quarters so very happy for him.

Has been an extraordinary player for a long, long time.

The videos on Selwood pulling their water boy (bloody memory - can't remember his name) over the fence onto the field to celebrate with them was impressive. And one of the other players put his medal around the kids neck. Nothing contrived just genuine getting the kid involved - made my eyes get misty. The water boy is a young man with down syndrome who has been employed by the club for six years.

And Selwood also carried Ablett's kid onto the field and through the banner with him. That would have meant a hell of a lot to that family as well.

Damnit. I seemed to have misplaced my dislike of the man. I'm sure I'll find it again when next we play him ... oh wait...

Would not have made any difference to the result, but playing a not 100% fit Reid over say one of the younger future players of the club like McDonald was not a good look. Reminded me a little of Phil Davis for GWS in the 2019 GF when he should not have played with an injured calf.
Geelong took the hard decision and ruled out a player they thought was not 100% Team first. Sometimes some senior players need to think about that.

Davis gets another contract for 2023 whilst a young player like Brander who arguably is a back (but being playing Midfield) gets punted.

The videos on Selwood pulling their water boy (bloody memory - can't remember his name) over the fence onto the field to celebrate with them was impressive. And one of the other players put his medal around the kids neck. Nothing contrived just genuine getting the kid involved - made my eyes get misty. The water boy is a young man with down syndrome who has been employed by the club for six years.

And Selwood also carried Ablett's kid onto the field and through the banner with him. That would have meant a hell of a lot to that family as well.

Damnit. I seemed to have misplaced my dislike of the man. I'm sure I'll find it again when next we play him ... oh wait...

Yeah absolutely hate how he ducks but he's a genuinely good man.

Davis gets another contract for 2023 whilst a young player like Brander who arguably is a back (but being playing Midfield) gets punted.
Brander is not an AFL quality player who has now been delisted from multiple clubs. He has the athleticism but no footy nous or kicking ability, a terrible combo.

Brander is not an AFL quality player who has now been delisted from multiple clubs. He has the athleticism but no footy nous or kicking ability, a terrible combo.
He certainly is not an AFL quality mid/wing. Was forced to play in the mid for Eagles as Allen was rightfully developed as the young tall. Brander went pick 12 or 13 in 2017 Draft and from memory was a defender that could play forward. What value do GWS get from Davis going around again for his 15th season.

He certainly is not an AFL quality mid/wing. Was forced to play in the mid for Eagles as Allen was rightfully developed as the young tall. Brander went pick 12 or 13 in 2017 Draft and from memory was a defender that could play forward.
He was played in defence in both teams' reserves at different points and underwhelmed. He was actually a forward at time of drafting, but the same problems (unable to read the play) killed his hopes there.

What value do GWS get from Davis going around again for his 15th season.
He's basically a part time coach getting paid outside the soft cap that's a break in case of emergency Cat A rookie spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not necessarily on the game by the I have watched buddy this final series. 10 out of the last 12 quarters of buddy in the finals is enough for me to say what are the swans thinking! Forget the 22 rounds of footy In the the regular season. He was nowhere to be seen and had no influence at all. I cant believe they gave him another year. The guy can’t even take an over head mark! He has been awesome and I feel terrible hanging on him but his time to end gracefully has well and truely come!

Not necessarily on the game by the I have watched buddy this final series. 10 out of the last 12 quarters of buddy in the finals is enough for me to say what are the swans thinking! Forget the 22 rounds of footy In the the regular season. He was nowhere to be seen and had no influence at all. I cant believe they gave him another year. The guy can’t even take an over head mark! He has been awesome and I feel terrible hanging on him but his time to end gracefully has well and truely come!
I didnt watch the GF at all but what I'm hearing and saw in the finals - absolutely - I kinda feel like he's gone on more so he can have a farewell season around the country if you catch my drift, which is still playing for the wrong reasons. The young boy Logan shouldn't have been dropped for the GF so the likes of Buddy and Sam Reid - the latter selfishly played from reports - could play.

I didnt watch the GF at all but what I'm hearing and saw in the finals - absolutely - I kinda feel like he's gone on more so he can have a farewell season around the country if you catch my drift, which is still playing for the wrong reasons. The young boy Logan shouldn't have been dropped for the GF so the likes of Buddy and Sam Reid - the latter selfishly played from reports - could play.

Reid shouldn't have played, but Logan McDonald barely had a kick the last 6 or so weeks of the year. I don't think it mattered that he didn't play.

Sam Reid playing injured bought back memories of Browny playing in the 2004 GF on one leg, Lynch as well.

Should have played Aaron Shattock and Anthony Corrie instead.:think::eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back