Game Day Grand Final thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The Tigers are the ultimate system based team IMO albeit with one out and out star in Dusty, their game plan seems quite simple ie. surge the ball forward at every opportunity whether by hand, foot, tap on or kick off the ground in attack and unrelenting pressure on the ball and man in defence, they trust their team mates to get that job done and it works.

It's a wonder a coach/team hasn't figured out a way to beat it.... yet.

We did 3 weeks ago. The secret is fire v fire.

Agree . In hindsight we spent our tickets in the Richmond game but still should have put up a better showing against Geelong . I don't think we would've beaten either in a GF. Need an up lift in our personnel and just more general toughness to see through a finals series .

I don't buy this we're in the box seat for a Premiership BS . Teams can improve out of nowhere these days . We need to stay on the path of continual improvement and strengthening our list as we have been . And even then we're still only one of a few genuine competitors for a flag.

I think we weren’t match fit for the Geelong game. Defensive rebounding was also an issue due to the loss of Gardiner (mission critical for us) and much slower at half forward with CEY - Kiddy or Berry would have kept to our game plan better.

Felt like everyone was a few % off plus we had a couple of passengers.

The talk of how many Tigers players would make a combined team with our 01-03 side led me to posting a thread on the main board, thought it might be of interest here, I tried to be as unbiased as I could, OP verbatim from the main board >
______________________________________________________________________________________________

I know this will be pretty divisive particularly since as a Lions supporter I have selected more Lions players in the side than the other 3 sides, I do however think that the Lions of that era were stacked with more elite individual talent than the other 3 sides, the merit of each side as a collective is for another thread.

Criteria- Must have played in at least 3 flags(some Hawks have won 4) which leaves out the likes of Gary Ablett and Lance Franklin.

Dylan Grimes, Matthew Scarlett, Chris Johnson.
Luke Hodge, Justin Leppitsch, Corey Enright.

David Hale, Michael Voss, Sam Mitchell.
Simon Black, Trent Cotchin, Shane Edwards.

Jonathan Brown, Jack Reiwoldt, Dustin Martin.
Cyril Rioli, Alistair Lynch, Luke Breust.

Joel Selwood, Shaun Burgoyne, Nigel Lappin, Jason Akermanis.

Unlucky- Brad Ottens, Toby Nankervis, Clark Keating, Bachar Houli, Jimmy Bartel, Steve Johnson, Paul Chapman, Darryl White, Nick Vlastuin, Brian Lake, Grant Birchall.

I found it hardest to select the ruckman and to leave out Houli, Birchall and Bartel, tossed up Edwards or Bartel and Johnson or Houli/Birchall.

There are 59 players to select from, the Lions have 16 3 time flag winners, Cats 12, Hawks 17 and Tigers have 14.

[QUOTE

Tigers are a very young team. There will be no sliding. We need to play our best 22 no matter the opposition, a decent injury run to key players and stick to a solid and repetitive set shot routine. GF are not a given and neither are prelims.

I think there will be but time will tell. Once the guns start to decline - Martin,JR,TC etc - the Tigers will slide it's inevitable. A few promising players but not enough to keep them on top once the stars decline and retire. Lions Port Blues etc will overtake them. Still be a tough team to beat no doubt but IMO this flag is the last gasp of a great era.

That’s pretty funny Lethal got his description of dimensions mixed up and gave Broad two votes instead of Short for Norm Smith voting..and the votes still stand

They are that sort of team, Richmond. A few stars and then a squad of well-drilled, indistinct role-playing foot soldiers.

I am pretty football literate but I wouldn’t be able to point out Short, Broad, Castagna, Balta, Baker, Graham or Lambert in a police lineup.

God Jack Reiwoldt is an attention seeker. He makes it all about him. :thumbsdown:

Pity he wasn't a bit more like Dusty and keep a lower profile
How was Cotchin saying that it was like winning a Country Football Premiership.
Because they are away from the G and their family.
Poor little bubas.😢

How was Cotchin saying that it was like winning a Country Football Premiership.
Because they are away from the G and their family.
Poor little bubas.😢

I thought he said that in reference to the celebrations after the game, when they got back to the Gold Coast. Only those at the hub involved. It would be significantly different to 10s of thousands at Punt Rd. The country football comparison made complete sense to me.

I thought he said that in reference to the celebrations after the game, when they got back to the Gold Coast. Only those at the hub involved. It would be significantly different to 10s of thousands at Punt Rd. The country football comparison made complete sense to me.
I was being a bit facetious, but point still stands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it helps when they have so many dynamic players through traffic. Gives them confidence that in a 2 on 3 situation they can still win and then they have an extra on the outside to feed the ball out to.

Not sure of you listens to Chris Scott’s presser. But pretty said exactly that. Their system is predictable, but not easy to replicate, if it was everyone would be doing it. He went in to say they recruited particularly well, players that suit their system.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think people assume that the status quo will remain much further into the future than it often does. The reality is very much one in which teams go through phases, peaks and troughs. While Richmond seem very hard to beat right now it takes only small differences to produce quite different outcomes.

It is incredibly difficult to stay consistently at the very top and especially when age and salary caps are a constant factor to consider. Richmond have done well and may win again next year, but the differences between the top ten teams in the competition are not as large as the ladder would suggest. All eras come to an end inevitably. Something clicks for one team and they get to the top. Then something is five percent off and others can quickly overtake them the next year. Essendon were going to completely dominate the early 2000’s according to some pundit after their premiership season. Then along came the Lions - hungry, talented and increasingly experienced.

Ultimately the real art of being a multiple premier in an era is probably to stay up around the top for 5-10 years and take the chances when they come, in the years where everything falls into place. It is really what Hawthorn, Geelong and now Richmond have done, the Cats just never quite grabbed their chances like the others but they still might. West Coast generally do it as well.

What Richmond have done is to be consistently getting to the point of having a chance to win. One year they ran into Collingwood on a rare hot streak but the other three they went all the way. They were blessed with a solid base of experience, a system that is hard to break down easily (but can be done) and a finals player who delivers when it matters.

I think it is the secret for us too. You never know which year everything will play out in your favour in finals - a team is just on a hot streak when you come up against them, but the following year might be your turn. Good teams keep getting to finals and stay in the hunt as long as possible. Then it comes down to experience and finals intensity when it counts.

It might take five years, it might be next year, but if we are consistently up near the top, our time will come.
This a very good assessment of what is required to get success. Happy as I am that the Tiges have won the flag again, it only as you've stated takes a slight drop off due to form, injury or a couple off older players past it to alter the status quo. The Lions improve 2% and The Tiges drop off 2% then we have a new top dog.
All dynasties eventually crumble and a new one is established. Consistency usually delivers the ultimate prize.

Really great atmosphere, lucky to be there. Definitely a step up from the Prelim.
A mate I was there with, who has been to 9 Grand Finals, said that every Grand Final must be a night GF from now on, the atmosphere was unbelievable he said. Night takes it to a new level, makes it feel like a SUper Bowl. Funny how it is the opposite of what they were saying on TV.

Maybe actually being at the ground made a huge difference.

Maybe same with the entertainment. I really enjoyed it whereas many of the TV viewers bagged it on Social media.
Up There Cazaly was really amazing, something else.

This a very good assessment of what is required to get success. Happy as I am that the Tiges have won the flag again, it only as you've stated takes a slight drop off due to form, injury or a couple off older players past it to alter the status quo. The Lions improve 2% and The Tiges drop off 2% then we have a new top dog.
All dynasties eventually crumble and a new one is established. Consistency usually delivers the ultimate prize.
Well done on the dynasty claim

Remove this Banner Ad

Back