Teams Green Bay Packers - The Frozen Tundra

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry its been a busy few weeks.

im just going to do a quick summary on players this time.

Offence:

QB's
Aaron Rodgers: Looked great when he was healthy, even the Panthers game he was ok. Missed some throws and had some bad INT's but they were more or less expected. With him going down it showed just how valuable he is, went from a 10/12 win team down to 7 and 3-6 without him with 2 OT wins over bad teams.

Brett Hundley: Well i think we all knew he wasnt a good QB, but i dont think we expected him to be quite so poor most of the time. Other than the Steelers game and 2nd half of the Chicago game, He didnt have much good. He couldnt get any chemistry with the WR's which made him look worse. the only WR he had chemistry with in preseason was Max McCaffrey who we cut and was on a PS might of been the Saints. I would of cut Jannis for McCaffrey mid season.
We will need to draft a new back up QB [Im expecting it to be 3rd-5th round, unless we fall in love with a QB who will be a mid 2nd round]. I said it in Preseason Taysom Hill is the best back up we have and we cant let him go because he showed too much to sneak him onto the practice squad.

RB
Ty Montgomery: Didnt have a good season, got hurt early and played through then got hurt again and finished on IR. with the emergence of Williams and Jones i dont expect much from Montgomery next season at RB. But he is a weapon for the offence that we need to use more like in 2016. have him as WR4 and also bring him into the backfield. I felt like we didnt use him the right way before he was hurt. You have a player who can change how defenses play you but our playcalling was no exotic just basic and predictable.

Jaamall Williams: Took over as RB1 mid-late season and would keep improving most weeks. I would expect him to keep the starting job next season but like the Falcons/Saints/Eagles have a shared RB room with Williams and Montgomery with a few snaps to Jones also. Williams also showed to be a decent pass blocker, picked up some key blitz. And is also a good 2 way threat with his reviving. I would love to see a 2 back backfield next season with Williams and Montgomery we could run sweeps, counters or inside with either or pass out of it.

Aaron Jones: Had some good games when Montgomery went down and before Williams would take over as starter. Didnt see much out of him as a receiver. I would expect him to currently be 3rd string and might even be fighting for a roster spot if we pick up another RB this draft/post draft FA.

WR
Jordy Nelson: He is getting older now, but im not going to condemn him on this season without Rodgers. He just couldnt get in sync with Hundley on the shorter passes, and on the deep ones Hundley would miss the targets. I wouldnt be shocked to see him asked for a pay cut, but dont see him traded or cut.

Davante Adams: Took over the WR1 spot this season, which next season could help the offence putting Cobb in the slot more. Backed up his good with an impressive 2017 for who was throwing to him most of the season. His hands are amazing with some of the catches he has pulled in. With his new long term deal hopefully he can keep this up and keep getting better. Hopefully no concussions next season.

Randall Cobb: Had a down season and Adams took over some of his routes, but Cobb didnt seem to mind and was a good team player. Hopefully more time in the slot will help Cobb again. I still think we have a good core of starting WR's

Geronimo Allison: His season will most likely be known for the fumble at the end of the Panthers game, but on a whole Allison seemed to have a "sophmore slump". But its hard to judge the WR's when Rodgers was down.

Trevor Davis: Didnt see any snaps at WR, had some great, some good and a bunch of bad at K/PR. some great and good returns but a few too many bad ones or fair catches/fielded catches inside the 10. Could be fighting and leading the fight for the WR we keep next season because of his ST job. since Jannis is mostly just a gunner now.

Michael Clark: He showed some good, but still raw. Another preseason working on catching will help him. He had some brutal drops in the Vikings game week 16.

TE
Richard Rodgers: DickRod was what you expect, he does his job. Not the best but was better than Bennett was.

Lance Kendricks: Will likely be the starting TE next season, with Bennett he didnt get much time early in the season, but i think he was also injured early. He showed some good things late in the season, would like to see what Rodgers can do with him now.

OL
Our best starting OL of Bahk, Taylor, Linsley, Evans/McCray and Bullaga were all mostly good when they played. but had almost no snaps together as a unit. Taylor and McCray were impressive. Next season hopefully everyone stays healthy and could be a top 5 OL.
Murphy was solid when he played, but was injured and put on IR early in the season. Spriggs still has bad footwork, im not sure he is ever going to be a tackle because of that. He might be better inside as a guard.

There is not much to say on the players on D. They just spent too much time on the field and communication was poor most of the season.

DL
Mike Daniels and Kenny Clark did their jobs like always, Both would eat up double teams and would still get a push or pressure. Clark just keeps getting better he showed big improvement late in the 2016 season and would keep it up this season, but it was harder to see without watching what he did on each play.
Montavis Adams just didnt get much playing time, spent most of the season inactive
Dean Lowry had a great season, Im not sure he is good enough to be a started but is a great backup. His pressure at times was impressive. and his INT was what won us the Bucs game. Love the kids heart and will.

LB
Perry and Mathews both had a disappointing year, and unsurprisingly both had injuries. Perry played better but had higher expectations after last season.
Brookes and Biegel played ok-good. Biegel spent most of the year injured and was on the PUP list to start. Both healthy could help next season getting pressure.
Martinez was the best LB, still made some poor reads but improved on his rookie year. Team leader in tackles. Should be MLB1 and calling the plays next season.
Ryan still just isnt good enough. He would be a good backup but as a starting MLB in a 3-4 just gets beat or fooled too much.
Fackwell Still dont know how he made the roster, and would not expect him to survive to the 53 man after preseason this year. Gilbert showed more in the final 2 games than Fackwell did all season.

DB
Everyone played both good and bad. Randall took his benching early in the season well and bounced back to play some of his best football in the NFL. Keeping Mike Evans and Josh Gordon to only 1-2 catches when he was covering them. Kevin King was good and took over a starting job early in the season while playing with a bad shoulder before it became too bad and he finished the season on IR. but King will be a good starting CB next season.
House was a good pickup best as a nickel but played some good games as a starter.
Pipkins and Hawkins showed some good things late in the season when King and House were out. Pipkins has good speed and made some good plays, but needs to get better in coverage. could be a usefull backup.
Burnett and HaHa both had poor seasons. with bad reads and miscommunication all over the D. would like to see Burnett play LB more and hope we resign him.
Back up S/CB Jones played good dont think he is ready to become a full time starter. had some great plays and some bad rookie mistakes.
Kentrell Brice was missed this season, He got injured early which throw Jones into playing more. Would like to see him back. he is a huge hitter and makes better reads than Jones did.

Nice write up aussiedude. Couple of things for mine;
- Jones will be the back-up running back for sure, he's a totally different runner to Williams who's more a bruising back compared to Jones who is a one cut back with top end speed. Makes a great duo.

- Davis is gone in my opinion. I'd honestly rather keep Janis like we did with Bush as our ST player. At worst Janis can K/PR to the same level as Davis while being one of the best gunners in the league.

- Daniels and Clark are both beasts, with Clark only going to get better these two are going to be dominant force for us. Overall we have quite a strong DL and it has depth as well.

- The LB is just so damn weak. Perry, Matthews, Brooks and Martinez are the only guys who have proven they can play. Going to need a big jump from Biegel and Gilbert. Fackrell's best thing all season was a blocked punt.

- I think Burnett won't be offered another contract here, wouldn't be surprised to see Brice take over his role with Jones becoming the starter at safety.

Nice write up aussiedude. Couple of things for mine;
- Jones will be the back-up running back for sure, he's a totally different runner to Williams who's more a bruising back compared to Jones who is a one cut back with top end speed. Makes a great duo.

- Davis is gone in my opinion. I'd honestly rather keep Janis like we did with Bush as our ST player. At worst Janis can K/PR to the same level as Davis while being one of the best gunners in the league.

- Daniels and Clark are both beasts, with Clark only going to get better these two are going to be dominant force for us. Overall we have quite a strong DL and it has depth as well.

- The LB is just so damn weak. Perry, Matthews, Brooks and Martinez are the only guys who have proven they can play. Going to need a big jump from Biegel and Gilbert. Fackrell's best thing all season was a blocked punt.

- I think Burnett won't be offered another contract here, wouldn't be surprised to see Brice take over his role with Jones becoming the starter at safety.
Agree with most. Im not sure how the RB situation will look. Montgomery is too big of a weapon to be 3rd string RB unless we use him more at WR again and play more 5 wide where we can move him into the backfield if we get a formation that can be exploited.

I like out DL. Clark is a monster i love seeing some of the small things like on run plays when he is getting double teamed and pushed back he drops his knee into the ground and uses that to help the LB's clean up the RB.

I dont know how our draft will look yet, and wont guess till after Free Agency has started to see who we keep and who we target.

we need outside rushers and a MLB to play next to Martinez. Gilbert could have a big impact, I dont know why he was inactive till the last 2 games.

What we need right now and should get from Free agency or the Draft OLB, ILB, TE, CB, OT/G, and S if Burnett walks.

If we get the chance to take Royce Freeman in the 4th round or so i would not mind. He is a good speed back that might fall under the radar, even with the RB's we picked last season.

There are a couple of good players at TE and DB that could fall to 3rd or later that i see as instant starters. and there are a few good DT's this year that we could grab on day 2.

A little birdy tells me that your new front office is suddenly showing interest in both Reich and DeFillipo as replacements for MMcC.
Take it with a grain of salt, but views??
Far too early to be looking for the next HC when you are looking at how to fix the holes in the roster to get them into the superbowl.

Teams who are looking for the next HC 12 months ahead are not going to do anything the upcoming season, and might as well fire the current HC now if you have so little faith in them.

A little birdy tells me that your new front office is suddenly showing interest in both Reich and DeFillipo as replacements for MMcC.
Take it with a grain of salt, but views??
I highly doubt it, we've just been through the biggest off-season drama since Favre left. GB is a typically conservative organisation and I don't believe there's a chance that we'd do a full clean out, especially not with Rodgers returning.

McCarthy is on a one year contract and will be re-assessed at the end of next year. I personally think it might be time for him to move on, but we shall see.

For low money sure, but wouldnt pay much for him.
Interesting. Very interesting. If we do sign Wilkerson I'd expect Dial won't be offered a new contract.

It would give us a formidable line with Wilkerson, Daniels and Clark though with Lowry and Adams off the bench.

Interesting. Very interesting. If we do sign Wilkerson I'd expect Dial won't be offered a new contract.

It would give us a formidable line with Wilkerson, Daniels and Clark though with Lowry and Adams off the bench.
Clark is a monster at DT, and can play DE in nickle/dime sets.

I would of liked to see more of Adams last season, but Lowry is a solid back up. Signing Mo would be good but not what we need the most.

Clark is a monster at DT, and can play DE in nickle/dime sets.

I would of liked to see more of Adams last season, but Lowry is a solid back up. Signing Mo would be good but not what we need the most.
It really depends on how Pettine wants to run this defence, we are very thin on the D-line body wise. Plus Pettine was Wilkerson's coach during his Pro-Bowl years so maybe he can light that spark in him again.

Would have been nice to see Adams but I think he hurt himself? I disagree the better we get on defence, plus having a line of Daniels, Clark and Mo (motivated) someone is always going to create pressure, something we lacked last year.

We need OLB and 2nd ILB more than a de.

I think we wlll go after a TE again. Prob the eagles one.

I ment it shouldn't be high priority to get mo. Unless we can get him for a discounted price to join up with MP again

We need OLB and 2nd ILB more than a de.

I think we wlll go after a TE again. Prob the eagles one.

I ment it shouldn't be high priority to get mo. Unless we can get him for a discounted price to join up with MP again
We seriously need another OLB and one that can rush the passer effectively.

I hope he comes cheap, if not then we get someone else.

Burton will probably cost too much for us now.

Will also be interesting to see what we do with House and Burnett.

We seriously need another OLB and one that can rush the passer effectively.

I hope he comes cheap, if not then we get someone else.

Burton will probably cost too much for us now.

Will also be interesting to see what we do with House and Burnett.
Rodgers new deal could free up heaps of money, same with Clay, and restructure for Nelson.

Doubt Cobb will take a pay cut

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matthews, Nelson and Cobb all need to be re-structured. No way would I want any of these guys cut.
Mathews will get extended like Rodgers, Nelson will restructure. Cobb will be asked but i keep seeing people saying they doubt he will take a cut.

But you have Kizer now, who needs a DL when you have QB awesomeness like Ker-sizer-er??

But you have Kizer now, who needs a DL when you have QB awesomeness like Ker-sizer-er??

This will fit in well in green bay, it is Favre/Rodgers like just without the finish or skill.

If somehow he pulled this throw off it would of been like a Favre throw..... even with the INT its like a Favre play

Well we need a DL now to get pressure because or CBs sure as won't be able to cover.

Kizer can't be worse than Hundley. Hopefully.

Well we need a DL now to get pressure because or CBs sure as won't be able to cover.

I think we will look at Tru Johnson. He wants to play for a contender so might take a bit less than others will offer

I'm actually liking the move... Kizer was thrown to the wolves far too early, and I think if he sits for a bit and learns from the best, he may be worthwhile, hopefully trade bait in 2-3 seasons (cos Aaron will still be playing at a high level until he's 50).

Randall, for all the positive signs, apparently the senior defensive players wanted him gone. So I reckon maybe there's a bit more to whatever happened last season. And getting a possibly-talented QB for a troubled CB seems ok to me.

I think we will look at Tru Johnson. He wants to play for a contender so might take a bit less than others will offer

Nah, 'Kunst has said he's not looking for superstars... This is going to be Thompson MkII. I hope he can hit on DBs and EDR like TT hit on WRs.

Really weird trade when you think about Wolf now working in Cleveland.

Packers happy to give up on a recent first round pick, Wolf happy to take him on, Reports that the Packers were interested in drafting Kizer last year, Wolf part of the crew who traded him at first chance. o_O:think::huh:

Kizer at least has arm talent (unlike Hundley) and will get to sit like he should have last year, i dont mind the gamble.

Really weird trade when you think about Wolf now working in Cleveland.

Packers happy to give up on a recent first round pick, Wolf happy to take him on, Reports that the Packers were interested in drafting Kizer last year, Wolf part of the crew who traded him at first chance. o_O:think::huh:

Kizer at least has arm talent (unlike Hundley) and will get to sit like he should have last year, i dont mind the gamble.

Randall was lucky to not get cut last season after the bears game, but by the sounds of it Pettine didnt see him as the slot CB for the new D. We were actively trying to trade him at the combine. Randall had a good rookie season but then was all over the place. He is good when he has a role, like late last season when he was shadowing the #1 WR. but when he gets moved all over the place he gets exposed more. or doesnt try as hard.

If we had no real plan for him, im glad we got something for him even if it is just a back up QB and moving up 14 spots in the 4th and 5th rounds.

But if recent trends of DB's the packers have moved on from continues Randall will be an all pro next season.

I dont think there are any bad feelings between Wolf and the Packers.

Randall, for all the positive signs, apparently the senior defensive players wanted him gone. So I reckon maybe there's a bit more to whatever happened last season. And getting a possibly-talented QB for a troubled CB seems ok to me.
I think that was the main thing. The senior players were sick of his s**t. In recent years we cut Sitton and Bennett both for causing locker room distractions.

Breaking news: Jordy out and Jimmy Graham headed to Lambeau.

Had a gut feeling we might snag Graham but didn't see the Jordy cut coming, was sure he'd be restructured or take a pay cut!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back