Gunston requesting trade - part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Freddy we are simply not good enough on out third party deals IMO. We all have the same cap. It what guys get offered in Melb that makes the difference (media etc). Its huge advantage for them and accounts for why the homesickness thing rarely works the other way:mad:

Nice theory but I can tell you for a fact that "Burgoyne, Gibson, Bruce, Hale" don't appear to have regular media contracts, so it must be the "etc".

It's a big market over here - Melbourne feels like a big city compared to Adelaide, lots of things going on and - probably - wealthy coterie members who help guys like Burgoyne set up property deals and so on. I would have thought that part of it could be done in Adelaide.

Can't change the size of the city though. On the flip side, if you're a footballer out on the town in Melbourne, you get noticed - just like Adelaide. Its just a bigger fishbowl and more fish.

How is it that our salary cap is maxxed out but Hawthorn with the likes of Hodge, Franklin, Mitchell, Rioli, Roughead can attract players every trade season. Names like Burgoyne, Gibson, Bruce, Hale and now Gunston...

It is a fu**ing joke and it is blatant cheating
Actually it's just good management.

One of the things people have always overlooked in Chris Pelchen's time at Hawthorn was that players like those you have mentioned above have just quietly re-signed with Hawthorn, without any media fan-fare( see D.Thomas, M.Pavlich, J.Brown over the years)under market value and gotten on with the job.

Knowing how some of our deals have set up, and how much money players like Rioli, Hodge and Franklin have turned their back on, it's more about how well the club is going off the ground than any semblance of cheating.

One of the things people have always overlooked in Chris Pelchen's time at Hawthorn was that players like those you have mentioned above have just quietly re-signed with Hawthorn, without any media fan-fare( see D.Thomas, M.Pavlich, J.Brown over the years)under market value and gotten on with the job.

Knowing how some of our deals have set up, and how much money players like Rioli, Hodge and Franklin have turned their back on, it's more about how well the club is going off the ground than any semblance of cheating.
Similar to Geelong, Echols. Apart from the obvious Ablett saga, their players have settled for less contract $$$ in order to stay together as a core group and strive for success.

I agree with you, it is good financial management and striking the right balance keeping in mind each individuals needs and wants, and possibly keeping the youngster a little 'hungry'. Not having a go at Adelaide at all (respect), but just agreeing with this good point.

If the question is: Have the AFC made serious mistakes in player retention, off-field and on-field performance? The answer is an obvious yes.

If the question is: Is Gunston a soft mumma's boy with question mental integrity? The answer is also a very probable yes.

These two assertions are not incompatible.

Quite comfortable with this assessment.

The thing is tho... As a club we need to fix the former and do better at avoiding, or managing, the latter.

Both balls that sit squarely in the clubs court no matter how much ppl want to abuse gunston. He's 19, I don't expect consistent, mature decisions from a 19yo. Look at some of the posting here as evidence if you need to....

I do expect our club with it's resources and supporter base to not be performing as poorly as we are in these types of issues.

Hawthorn just abstained on taking a F/S selection and have kept our first and second round picks open. So wether we are looking to trade player and pick or just picks will be the negotiations that will ensue.

Players names that have been bandied about include Young, Renouf, Lisle, Ladson. These names are all speculation and I would be happy not to lose any of the above names. I am hoping a fair deal can be achieved using draft picks.

It will all be smoke and mirrors until late trade week one would suspect.

Hawthorn's first pick is shit. Still not certain he's nominated a club, or if that even matters. If he has, a potential trade may include Clint Young, Xavier Ellis, or both I don't know.

Mate, I have a soft sport for the Hawks, they are my second team....But there is no way you can keep that list together and chase 1 or 2 big names each trade period. Stroke yourself and talk team success, Chris Pelchen rubbish or whatever you like but if this was the NRL, kiss 2008 goodbye.... You are lucky Vlad turns his back on an serious issues ( like Bailey admitting he tanked )

Do the Maths mate, it does not work out!

What or who from Hawthorn would you guys concider fair compensation for Jack Gunston.

IMO the Hawks bend over everyone they trade with. Would prefer not to deal with them.

In recent years.

Stole Gibson for a packet of Sao biscuits.

Gave up Premiership Forward Williams for 2 first round picks. He played a further 4 games his body was that rooted. Used those 2 picks to pick up Burgoyne.

Got 2 first round Picks for Jon Hay. He retired after playing bugger all more footy with an illness the Hawks were aware off.

Would rather Gunston gets sent to PSD than take any of Hawthorns injured rejects... And they have no draft picks that would be suitable....

IMO the Hawks bend over everyone they trade with. Would prefer not to deal with them.

In recent years.

Gave up Premiership Forward Williams for 2 first round picks. He played a further 4 games his body was that rooted. Used those 2 picks to pick up Burgoyne.

Got 2 first round Picks for Jon Hay. He retired after playing bugger all more footy with an illness the Hawks were aware off.

Would rather Gunston gets sent to PSD than take any of Hawthorns injured rejects... And they have no draft picks that would be suitable....

FB, its not our fault we got the best deals possible. Kangas, Bombers had a choice in the deals.

Likewise, I expect the Crows to be suitably compensated. I would think the Hawks would be prepared to pay overs for Gunston. Is upto Trigg & Co. to make sure they play hardball.

Deep down you don't want to lose him for nothing.

Hope its a win/win for all involved. His management have even said they would like the Crows adequantly compensated.

Time will tell.

In recent years.

No doubt we did well in the mid 2000's but of late teams are driving a hard bargain, I'd say teams have had the better of us.

These are our past 3 trades

End of first Round Compensation pick (27)(Kieren Harper) & Draft pick #71 for David Hale and Draft pick #52

Draft picks #25 (Bastinac) and #41 for Josh Gibson and draft pick #69

While we were smashed on this one.

Ben McGlynn and Josh P. Kennedy for Draft picks #39, #46 and #70

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hale/Gibson trades, the North Board were jizzing themselves over how much they ripped us off.Neither player was going to get games in the seniors according to them, so we hardly ripped anyone off there.

McGlynn/Kennedy trades were great for Sydney, no doubt there. But also great for the players involved, both were offered contracts and didn't want them, we got a deal done for them.

Our first rounder is probably the best we'd offer. Can't see Shoenmakers being traded.

People talk about Ladson/Young and those players, but I honestly don't think they're any use to another club. Outside of potentially GWS :D

I haven't seen enough of Gunston to really know what he's worth though. But he could be a 1 year wonder player too.

Gibson would still get a game, but Hale would struggle unless injury to Goldstein or McIntosh gave rise to an opportunity.

I have not heard one single complaint about the trades considering the players we have managed to draft in return. However, this has more to do with Norths current drafting department than any fortuitous act on Hawthorns behalf.

Hawthorn is getting a bad name for poaching players and they don't have any problems in suggesting ridiculous unders as an equitable trade for a player they require.

The Hay debacle also cast them as a pack of complete shitmen at the trading table.

IMO, it's a case of buyer beware, take nothing from them except draft picks, or fit, ready made players.

FB, its not our fault we got the best deals possible. Kangas, Bombers had a choice in the deals.

Likewise, I expect the Crows to be suitably compensated. I would think the Hawks would be prepared to pay overs for Gunston. Is upto Trigg & Co. to make sure they play hardball.

Deep down you don't want to lose him for nothing.

Hope its a win/win for all involved. His management have even said they would like the Crows adequantly compensated.

Time will tell.

No doubt.... I wish we had you recent trade history, best in the competition by a mile... I am just worried about how we will come out of it.... Ladson, Young and Ellis is the rubbish that we will end up with....

How does Jordan Lewis sound and we give you our 2nd rounder and Gunston?

Or Puopolo and Issac Smith?

No chance in the world because you want to pinch him for spare change...

No doubt we did well in the mid 2000's but of late teams are driving a hard bargain, I'd say teams have had the better of us.

These are our past 3 trades

End of first Round Compensation pick (27)(Kieren Harper) & Draft pick #71 for David Hale and Draft pick #52

Draft picks #25 (Bastinac) and #41 for Josh Gibson and draft pick #69

While we were smashed on this one.

Ben McGlynn and Josh P. Kennedy for Draft picks #39, #46 and #70

The Mcglynn trade was the same year as the Williams rort and Burgoyne trade werent they? 2009

I think you are picking out trades to suit your story:)

Dont try and tell me you wouldnt do the Gibson trade again.. If you didnt have this year it is doubtful you would of played finals. He should of been All Australian.

Hale has been crucial for you, especially with Roughy going down....

Mcglynn and Kennedy were salary cap/ opportunity issues more than anything I would of thought....

At the end of the day, it should be the North Melbourne supporters crying not me, you have given it to them time after time with no lube whatsover:thumbsu:

Hale/Gibson trades, the North Board were jizzing themselves over how much they ripped us off.Neither player was going to get games in the seniors according to them, so we hardly ripped anyone off there.

McGlynn/Kennedy trades were great for Sydney, no doubt there. But also great for the players involved, both were offered contracts and didn't want them, we got a deal done for them.

Our first rounder is probably the best we'd offer. Can't see Shoenmakers being traded.

People talk about Ladson/Young and those players, but I honestly don't think they're any use to another club. Outside of potentially GWS :D

I haven't seen enough of Gunston to really know what he's worth though. But he could be a 1 year wonder player too.

With that you will not get his boots.

No doubt.... I wish we had you recent trade history, best in the competition by a mile... I am just worried about how we will come out of it.... Ladson, Young and Ellis is the rubbish that we will end up with....
I wouldn't mind Young or Ellis

Quite comfortable with this assessment.

The thing is tho... As a club we need to fix the former and do better at avoiding, or managing, the latter.

Both balls that sit squarely in the clubs court no matter how much ppl want to abuse gunston. He's 19, I don't expect consistent, mature decisions from a 19yo. Look at some of the posting here as evidence if you need to....

I do expect our club with it's resources and supporter base to not be performing as poorly as we are in these types of issues.

Hahahaha

:thumbsu:

I think we're all on the same page, we just focus on different sides of the same coin.

Get a C-Grade player and a 3rd rounder????

Id rather rap Gunston up with our 2nd or even first round pick and get a genuine quality player...

C-Graders will not help our club...
Disagree with your classification of them.

Hawks midfield runs deep. Josh Kennedy couldn't get a regular game. Is he a C Grader too? Ellis is in the same boat IMO.

Young was a regular when fit. Long kicking half back, nails goals from outside 50. Has had two years of injuries which may be a little off-putting for us I admit but reckon he's better than a C Grader when fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back