Player Watch Izak Rankine Part II - Welcome to Adelaide

Pick 5 and a swap of 3rd/4th round picks for Rankine was...

• Massive overs

• Moderate overs

• Slight overs

• Fair value

• Slight unders

• Moderate unders

• Massive unders

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

In case you can’t open it, in the last 6 weeks he’s 8 scores from 22 clearances. Laird is only one up with 50% more clearances.

Rankine is only attending 35% CBA, this needs to be increased.

Midfield should be Soligo, Rankine, Dawson with Laird and Crouch rotating in.
I think Soligo and Crouch attending the most CBAs is about right given that both Dawson and Rankine have shown they can be very damaging in other roles. Would be very happy with those four getting the vast majority of CBAs but with Soligo and Crouch having the most.

The odd one out is Laird. Just not sure we need him really.

In case you can’t open it, in the last 6 weeks he’s 8 scores from 22 clearances. Laird is only one up with 50% more clearances.

Rankine is only attending 35% CBA, this needs to be increased.

Midfield should be Soligo, Rankine, Dawson with Laird and Crouch rotating in.
I have been banging on about Rankine as a virtual full time mid for a long time now - Andrew McLeod mk 2 in my opinion if he does - he can be that good

I think Soligo and Crouch attending the most CBAs is about right given that both Dawson and Rankine have shown they can be very damaging in other roles. Would be very happy with those four getting the vast majority of CBAs but with Soligo and Crouch having the most.

The odd one out is Laird. Just not sure we need him really.
Surely we use Laird more in the backline for his experience... & move Smith out of the backline back on to a wing.

Back on topic... surely Izak is a lock of All Australian if he keeps up this form.

I have been banging on about Rankine as a virtual full time mid for a long time now - Andrew McLeod mk 2 in my opinion if he does - he can be that good

I think the current balance of mid/forward time is about right. We don’t want to lose what he offers as a forward.

I think it’s also important with players like him that we don’t make them waste effort doing grunt work. Do we really want Izak to have to focus on running both ways and potentially lose his explosiveness and speed going forward?

I think the current balance of mid/forward time is about right. We don’t want to lose what he offers as a forward.

I think it’s also important with players like him that we don’t make them waste effort doing grunt work. Do we really want Izak to have to focus on running both ways and potentially lose his explosiveness and speed going forward?
I get the feeling the club sees in Izak what most of us do and hence the big play for Hayward who can fill that forward slot and allow Izak to be a full time mid that can drift forward

I get the feeling the club sees in Izak what most of us do and hence the big play for Hayward who can fill that forward slot and allow Izak to be a full time mid that can drift forward

I’d rather see Rachele be the mid guy and Rankine keep something similar to his current balance.

Also if we were to get Hayward surely he takes the McHenry/Murphy spot?

I’d rather see Rachele be the mid guy and Rankine keep something similar to his current balance.

Also if we were to get Hayward surely he takes the McHenry/Murphy spot?
Not me. Rankine has the much higher ceiling and can be our modern day McLeod in the middle. Rachele can be a quality mid but he is a level down from Izak imo - most players are. I am happy for Rachele to still rotate through the forward line but I like the thought of Rankine burst through the middle 1 handed pick up and accelerating away from his man and feeding it into the forwards.

King does make me laugh, before Rankine came to us he'd been 'badly advised coming to Adelaide'.... That comments aged like milk.

He changes his mind on stuff more than I change my jocks.
I won't ever forget that one either. Big time toys out of the cot moment for some reason. Vic clubs raided the expansion teams for years and everything was fine. But a young indigenous lad wants to come home to SA and he's being poorly advised.

Not "making a poor decision" as a grown man, being "poorly advised."

And come on, if there was ever a player in the last 10 years who needs to be playing in front of >35K every 2 weeks, it's Izak.

Not me. Rankine has the much higher ceiling and can be our modern day McLeod in the middle. Rachele can be a quality mid but he is a level down from Izak imo - most players are. I am happy for Rachele to still rotate through the forward line but I like the thought of Rankine burst through the middle 1 handed pick up and accelerating away from his man and feeding it into the forwards.

He’s doing that right now pretty frequently in his current role.

I get your point about McLeod but when we won flags we had Jarman in the forward line.

2002 and 2005/06 we got close with peak/close to peak McLeod and we were crying out for goal kickers.

The name of the game is still kicking goals and Izak is our second leading goal kicker. If we take him away from that I don’t think we can fill that hole. Currently I think we’re as close to the best of both worlds as we can get.

Not every player has to go into the midfield.
Was Eddie Betts best value in the midfield or forward line?
Is Charlie Cameron more valuable in the forward line or midfield.
I want to see Izak where he will do the most damage, and that's kicking goals.
He can go into the midfield, but he should spend most of his time around the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I won't ever forget that one either. Big time toys out of the cot moment for some reason. Vic clubs raided the expansion teams for years and everything was fine. But a young indigenous lad wants to come home to SA and he's being poorly advised.

Not "making a poor decision" as a grown man, being "poorly advised."

And come on, if there was ever a player in the last 10 years who needs to be playing in front of >35K every 2 weeks, it's Izak.

They like us in the little box that we are, big enough of a club to bring eyeballs to the league and be self-sustaining, but not really threatening Victorian dominance.

We start to get our act together and lure some SA talent home and the alarm bells go off.

Not every player has to go into the midfield.
Was Eddie Betts best value in the midfield or forward line?
Is Charlie Cameron more valuable in the forward line or midfield.
I want to see Izak where he will do the most damage, and that's kicking goals.
He can go into the midfield, but he should spend most of his time around the forward line.
I agree to the bolded bit, but we are talking about Izak Rankine in particular and he has elite midfielder written all over him so its negligence to NOT move him there for 70-80% of the game. We don't have the luxury of having a JHF, Butters and Rozee there by way of example so we need to try our best players there to see if they can be that elite mid and that is exactly what Izak will be if played there imo. Eddie never had the tank to play as a full time mid. Charlie Cameron could have been a majority full time mid I think had he had the opportunity and he would have been great there too

I get your point about McLeod but when we won flags we had Jarman in the forward line.

2002 and 2005/06 we got close with peak/close to peak McLeod and we were crying out for goal kickers.

The name of the game is still kicking goals and Izak is our second leading goal kicker. If we take him away from that I don’t think we can fill that hole. Currently I think we’re as close to the best of both worlds as we can get.
Hence why they are looking at snaring Hayward - he fills that void to allow Izak to be the mid we crave with Soligo, Dawson and Rachele while still maintaining a permanent goal threat. Of course Rankine, Rachele and hopefully Pedlar will still rest forward for spurts but only as that.

One of the great things about Rankine in the midfield is that he can get free from his defensive opponent and force his midfield opponent to defend, which actually creates more scoring opportunities for him than if he was just in the forward line. There's some defensive downsides too so it's a risk/reward consideration, but it's part of why in some games this year (Carlton for example) he's had so much space at times in the f50 to either score or create goals - his opposing midfielder is trying to get the ball rather than following Rankine around.

I don't think he needs to be a full-time mid, but going in there reasonably often suits his game well and he's still a huge scoring threat. My suspicion is around 33-50% of CBAs is about right.

Interestingly Dees are looking to do the reverse & play Petracca more up forward as they need him scoring more goals given how poor their forward line is.

Wonder how many Brownlow votes he has at this point. Assuming none from the first 4 weeks of the season, he has been in our best 2 players (Match reports afl.com.au) in 4 (inc the 3 wins and draw) of the last 5 weeks. So perhaps 6-8 votes?

Couldn’t believe he was still paying 501-1 at 620pm Sunday just gone. Odds now halved. Flashy player who kicks goals. I was hoping for much more midfield time this year which may still happen. Big call from Kingy talking about a top 3 player in the league but he is the most freakishly skilled I have seen since DJ and Macca.

Just thinking imagine we drafted Izaak, he wasn’t the hardest worker by all reports, that’s not something we value, goes to show sometimes you have to just back talent, even if they drift in and out.
Isn't that kinda what we did though? Backed pure talent and targeted it in advance?

Our drafting is definitely worthy of criticism, but targeting Rankine and Dawson (and pulling it off) has to be looked at separately and with praise.

Maybe I misinterpreted what you said

Isn't that kinda what we did though? Backed pure talent and targeted it in advance?

Our drafting is definitely worthy of criticism, but targeting Rankine and Dawson (and pulling it off) has to be looked at separately and with praise.

Maybe I misinterpreted what you said
More we’d have not played him early on. GC did that for us and we’ve reaped the benefits.
I’m not sure he’d be where he is if he’d only played 20 games instead of 50

More we’d have not played him early on. GC did that for us and we’ve reaped the benefits.
I’m not sure he’d be where he is if he’d only played 20 games instead of 50
I seriously don’t get the hate on Nicks re playing young players. Rachele and Soligo less than 2.5 years into their career have played almost as many games as Rankine did in 4 years at GC.

Sure there is stuff to criticise Nicks on but seriously when you see the stats of (1) who has played the most debutants , (2) least experienced team (or bottom 2) in his time at the Crows - what does do those facts actually tell you?

Back