Rumour Gunston requesting trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's terrible that players who are recently drafted can just leave!
I don't really agree with this. The onus is on the clubs to provide an environment from which players don't want to leave.

Creating rules to protect the weak is the wrong way to go IMO. If we become a well coached, well run club there won't be anyone leaving. By the mid point of this season it was obvious that we were a poorly run, poorly coached rabble and it is no surprise that people want out. These are self inflicted wounds. No amount of the pathetic 'Bad Bloke Gunston' bitching will change that.

As I said when we drafted him, beware the player whose father is on the Essendon Board.
Looks like you have been proven correct.

Can you just provide a quick quote though please, from any time prior to the Gunston leaving rumours starting. Thanks.

If we are as interested as I've heard then I think we'd probably consider pick 18, given Gunston is only 19 and the club may rate him as good as any prospect we may get with that pick.

As far as ex-pats Greenwood is the only one and Scott loves him.

My empathy though, it annoys me no end when prospects want to leave the club that has given them a start after a couple of years. It's a 50 minute plane trip FFS.

This may not be all bad. He clearly isn't going to commit to us long term anyway and his last 6 games make him worth much more than he was. Our needs aren't really mid range forwards, if we can trade well here we might do as we did with Fergus Watts win the trade. 16 for Watts was a great deal, sure we coughed it up on Pfeffier but the pick was good value for a bloke who only ever played one good game of senior football

I've no idea why Hawthorn are interested, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Would have thought Carlton would be top of the interested list unless they think they can get someone more established from someone else, maybe revive the O'Keefe trade.
Hawks don't need Gunna; play Schoey in that role, trade for an established KPD.

Schoenmakers will be the first bloke they put forward if they're after Gunston.

Stats from todays game to 12 years ago are irrelevant. The game is so different. They aren't comparable. Back them guys who started on the bench didn't get that much game time.

Welsh sent time at both ends of the ground at North. He was drafted has a defender.

First, it was a North supporter that wanted to compare Gunston and Welsh - why is trade value from 12 years ago, in a completely different draft, relevant? Yet statistics which have increased a mere fraction, not? If the comparison I have made is illegitimate, then so is the original supposition.

Second, if such a comparison is legitimate, I am comparing Welsh's fourth year, which he barely improved on that over his whole career, compared with Gunston's second year. Even if we factor in an increased possession rate in 2011 over 1999, the difference between a second year KPF and a fourth year KPF is exponentially higher. Gunna's potential trajectory is much more promising than Welsh ever showed.

Why Cappy?

How good is this Howard kid from the dogs? Where does he play. Being a high but surprising pick, if we must get a player for player, I,d go him and trade with the doggies.
Howard can play off HBF, wing, guts. He's high up on my wish list this trade period.
I don't no.

It seems from afar, they have a very astute team and are the most likely to may market value for Gunston.

I really don't have anything to base that on though. I also don't know what they would have to offer?
Problem with the Hawks is I don't like what they have to offer. Maybe their 1st pick and Clint Young?
How this thread has garnered over 950 posts (as of typing) in less than a fortnight is beyond me.
Big Footy trade period. Our teams aren't playing anymore and we gotta bitch about something.
What about Leroy Jetta?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why Cappy?

How good is this Howard kid from the dogs? Where does he play. Being a high but surprising pick, if we must get a player for player, I,d go him and trade with the doggies.
Howard can play off HBF, wing, guts. He's high up on my wish list this trade period.
I don't no.

It seems from afar, they have a very astute team and are the most likely to may market value for Gunston.

I really don't have anything to base that on though. I also don't know what they would have to offer?
Problem with the Hawks is I don't like what they have to offer. Maybe their 1st pick and Clint Young?
How this thread has garnered over 950 posts (as of typing) in less than a fortnight is beyond me.
Big Footy trade period. Our teams aren't playing anymore and we gotta bitch about something.
What about Leroy Jetta?
Predictable, easily shut down, one sided

Wouldn't GWS take him? Does the uncontracted player tag stop them during the national draft as well?
Yes.
Not sure I agree with uncontracted entering the ND.
Too bad.. it's been in the rules since 2008.
Edit: I get GWS not being able to grab uncontracted during the PSD as they have priority picks, but ND seems fair.
Not really, given that they have 9 of the first 15 selections. The scope for enticing a player to leave, then grabbing them with #15, is still significant.
GWS wouldn't need to worry about the PSD and Gunston would never make it that far. GWS would list him on Dec 6 as a pre-listed player, one of their 10 they can do so with. And that would be that.
They can't pre-list him as one of the 10, as he was on an AFL list in 2011.
plus, has this actually happened to the club before? i know others have gone home, but has anyone refused/flat out walked out on the club?
Hudson, Watts, Welsh..
Jeff White left Freo for Melbourne after his first year and he was selected by Freo with their #1 draft pick

Freo must have been pissed off at the time
Even more so, given that Melbourne had to breach the salary cap in order to steal him - for which they were duly penalised (but they still got to keep the player).
Thats the end of season draft, the pre season draft worked last year GC bottom down with clubs nominating if they wanted to enter.
That's not quite how it works. The PSD exists to allow teams to fill their senior lists if they choose to have a vacancy after the ND (as a result of passing on their last selection). Any team with a vacancy is able to participate in the PSD - they don't have to "nominate" if they want to enter.

The PSD is conducted in reverse-ladder order, the same as the ND.

If that is still the system Gunston would still have to run the gauntlet as I make 5 interstate teams before the the first Vic pick. Play it tough Adelaide for both our teams sakes.

Edit GWS changed to GC
The PSD is irrelevant. Assuming that Gunston & his manager have a modicum of intelligence they'll realise that his chances of getting to Victoria via this route are very slim indeed. If trade week negotiations break down he'll be going in the ND, not the PSD, for this very reason.
No matter what teams decide to nominate for the PSD, we'll still have a pick in it before any Vic team does if we want it. If it does come to him going into the PSD, I'd seriously love to see us draft him again just for the lol factor. :D
As noted above.. the PSD is irrelevant. He'll be in the ND if nothing can be arranged during trade week.

The PSD is irrelevant. Assuming that Gunston & his manager have a modicum of intelligence they'll realise that his chances of getting to Victoria via this route are very slim indeed. If trade week negotiations break down he'll be going in the ND, not the PSD, for this very reason.

Im not so sure about this bit. As I have said before, if Gunston does not agree to any of the trades during trade week, or we cannot find an appropraite trade, he can still get to his club of choice in the PSD.

History would suggest that if Gunston refuses to talk to, be interviewed by, or submit to a medical with any of the other clubs participating in the PSD, they will not select him. From memory only Nic Stephens is an exception.

I don't know why BigFooty puts such a stupid size limit on Avatar pics.

Lawrst, Wood Duck - those photos of yours could be Vader in a Crows guernsey for all we know.

Im not so sure about this bit. As I have said before, if Gunston does not agree to any of the trades during trade week, or we cannot find an appropraite trade, he can still get to his club of choice in the PSD.

History would suggest that if Gunston refuses to talk to, be interviewed by, or submit to a medical with any of the other clubs participating in the PSD, they will not select him. From memory only Nic Stephens is an exception.
If he goes into the PSD, I have very little doubt that Adelaide would grab him and haul his arse back to Centrals for another 12 months - at which point we'd trade him and get some decent value in a quality draft.

If he goes into the PSD, I have very little doubt that Adelaide would grab him and haul his arse back to Centrals for another 12 months - at which point we'd trade him and get some decent value in a quality draft.

Hope it happens. Theoretically possible I guess given the order of the PSD. Our pick comes before Hawthorn, Essendon, Nth Melbourne, well just about everyone actually.:eek:

Without bothering to speculate on who's ripping who off or whatever, I think Leroy Jetta is very much a family man. It's either Essendon or back home to Perth for him, I'd say. Especially with twins who are only 1 year old or so.

On the other hand, you're one of four clubs in for Henry Slattery at this stage, so he might be involved in a deal. Obviously with something significant going your way as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back