List Mgmt. GWS Giants Academy News & Discussion

fridgeman

Club Legend
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
First game of the Academy series this weekend so it will be interesting to see which of the 6 are named and how they go. I do want Green to play well but not too well so the Vic media start beating the academy drums again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

U18 Championships 2019

Giant Strides

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Round 1 of the U18 Championships

Sunday June 9, 12.30 at UTAS Stadium. GWS Academy kids named in bold.

Allies
B: Tom Griffiths - Nick Murray - Luke Parks
HB: Connor Budarick - Josh Rayner - Braeden Campbell
C: Matt McGrory - Will Martyn - Mitch O'Neill
HF: Oliver Davis - Liam Delahunty - Bruce Reville
F: Will Chandler - Hamish Ellam - Noah Cumberland
R: Samson Ryan - Tom Green - Sam Thorne
I: Jackson Barling - Sam Collins - Matt Conroy - Errol Gulden - Malcolm Rosas Jnr

Vic Country
B: Jesse Clark - Sam DeKoning - Harrison Pepper
HB: Lachlan Ash - Brodie Kemp - Hayden Young
C: Brady Rowles - Caleb Serong - Lachlan Williams
HF: Ned Cahill - Elijah Hollands - Cody Weightman
F: Riley Baldi - Josh Smith - Fraser Phillips
R: Charlie Comben - Sam Flanders - Thomson Dow
I: Toby Mahony - Mitch Martin - Jay Rantall - Ryan Sparkes - Cameron Wild
E: Henry Walsh - Ben Worme

Vic Country will be looking to back up an opening win over their Metro counterparts when they travel to Launceston to face the Allies.

The allied forces of each Northern academy, NT and Tasmania are set to provide some stiff competition though, with a balanced midfield mix, zippy outside movers, and a couple of dynamic talls making up the 23. GWS inside gun Tom Green is set to lead the midfield brigade, with Brisbane skipper Will Martyn providing a mix of inside and outside traits, while Tasmania’s Mitch O’Neill looks set to feature on the outside. Diminutive Gold Coast leader Connor Budarick is the other who may feature through the midfield, but will get a shot on the flanks at either end first. Liam Delahunty and Hamish Ellem should create a formidable all-NSW key forward pairing, with both more than capable overhead and always a threat in front of goal. The Allies’ outside running types in the form of Sydney bottom-age pair Braeden Campbell and Errol Gulden will also be key, with Oliver Davis thrust onto a forward flank from midfield, and Sam Collins one to watch off half-back.

While the versatility and run that the Allies side will bring should prove a handful, Country have already shown they can shut down such a style of play. Brodie Kemp firmed as an early candidate to tackle Green in the midfield but has been named in defence, with Gippsland pair Sam Flanders and Caleb Serong set to take on that load instead alongside Thomson Dow. Look for the damaging half-back pairing of Lachlan Ash and Hayden Young to again dominate, with Jesse Clark also set to take on an important role as Brock Smith comes out of the back six through injury. Lachlan Williams comes in to add even more speed on the outside for Country, joined by Cam Wild and Toby Mahony – who will both most likely spend time between the forward line and midfield. It will be a tough ask for Josh Smith and Charlie Comben to back up their performances, but they will again be key as the most likely Country talls going forward.

This should be a tight one, and if Country’s first performance is anything to go by, they will be more than up for it. The gelling of a talented Allies side will be key to the contest, and Tom Green looms as a crucial figure with Country lacking like-for-like answers. All will be revealed on Sunday though, with many looking forward to a hot contest.

https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/2019/06/07/wa-and-allies-ready-for-battle-against-vics/

Last edited:

Giant Strides

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I'd like to see the full stats sheet for the game. From what I can piece together, I think Tom Green was likely the highest individual clearance winner in the game. Without seeing the game, it's hard to take a full understanding of what that means (e.g. Country could have rotated a bunch of guys through the clearances and Green could have been there all game). The comments from the draftwatchers indicates Green was pretty battered as the only big-bodied mid. If so, he would get some credit for fighting out the game and continuing to do his work. I know that one of the Sydney Swans posters had commented that the Allies' team selection was poor, playing individuals rather than selecting a coherent team that could compete in a game. Still, he seems to be a clearance machine so you'd think we'd be keen for that no matter what else happens with trades etc.

Nick Murray the interesting one for me. I hadn't really given him much thought last year, but he seems to be making a good fist of this year. While we did draft Idun last year, and Murray is a different style of player, does anyone think he could fit into our squad mix for next year?

fridgeman

Club Legend
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
A few more games for the players to show their skills and hoping they all do well just not too well and the time they will spend in the NEAFL will show the recruiting staff enough that they can make a very informed decision but at this stage I could only see 2 late picks/rookies from the academy based on past intakes of course still a lot to happen until draft time

fridgeman

Club Legend
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Delahunty, Peatling, Green and McGrory academy players in for this weekends game and not sure if Lucas is still in the academy but he has been named as well

Top Bottom