Player Watch Harley Reid isnt leading the rising star so far

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do people think West Coast has suddenly become Gold Coast, bleeding players back to Victoria? Has happened all of once. West Coast is a bigger club than Essendon, he got drafted by the bottom club (as all No.1 picks do) and is playing in front of 50,000 people screaming on everything he does.
If I'm Reid, I'm staying there

Richest club around and a whole city to himself

The list will improve in due course

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why do people think West Coast has suddenly become Gold Coast, bleeding players back to Victoria? Has happened all of once. West Coast is a bigger club than Essendon, he got drafted by the bottom club (as all No.1 picks do) and is playing in front of 50,000 people screaming on everything he does.

The go home factor isn't as strong as what some fans believe.

Yeah he played pretty well. But I get the feeling he's been drinking his own bathwater. Thinks he's maybe more advanced than he really is. Got pinged holding the ball twice and could have had a couple more. Assumes no one cantackle him. Wrongly. Also tried to through his weight around with late bumps and push and shove on Cox, Pendlebury and others. Just looked a bit of a goose doing that. They just laughed at him.
One of those holding the balls was from Pendlebury deliberately tripping him….

The go home factor isn't as strong as what some fans believe.
Yep, West Coast barely lose players to the go home factor and he will no doubt stay as Corn Cobbers posted above. I honestly don't see why he would leave when he has the club (and City/State) at his finger tips, and WCE have a proven record of talent retention.

Now....if he was at Freo, that would be a different story.....

One of those holding the balls was from Pendlebury deliberately tripping him….

One of them was when he got monstered by Lachie Sullivan which resulted in a goal...

He got caught in the last quarter against Essendon as well which should have been holding the ball. He is a young player and will continue to learn but teams will exploit the fact he tries to take players on too much and will continue to get caught.

Also not a good look continually arguing with the umps after he is done cold.

Leads him by the bearest margins, meanwhile Wardlaw needs him in tackles, contested possessions etc. I'm just saying it's not a foregone conclusion that Reid is way out in front and Wardlaw is as impactful and he's still only spending 70% tog.
low tog because he doesn't have the conditioning required.

One of them was when he got monstered by Lachie Sullivan which resulted in a goal...

He got caught in the last quarter against Essendon as well which should have been holding the ball. He is a young player and will continue to learn but teams will exploit the fact he tries to take players on too much and will continue to get caught.

Also not a good look continually arguing with the umps after he is done cold.
Yes, teams will continue to exploit it right up until the moment they can't. The fact he's been successful as often as he has as a 19-year-old suggests there will be very few who can stop him once he has time to develop.

And yes, he has some real arrogance about him as a player, something Eagles fans love in him in inverse proportion to how much they hate it in other teams' gun players.

They do the same with Daicos. It happens...every good player/really good/superstar...the media compliment everything they do. For that teams supporters - they love it. For opposition fans...they quickly become sick of the media doing it.

I say, just ignore it.
I’m victim to this, I hated Nick last year with the media adoration but love him this year now that they’ve moved onto Heeney, Gulden, Reid AND Nick

You are bang on though, best to ignore it - just enjoy footy as a neutral until you play these young, hyped stars

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's just what Vic people want to happen, usually with the idea that Perth isn't really a great place to live.

Wouldn't it be awful if Harley had to earn a million a year in a coastal city with temperate weather where property is half the price of Melbourne. Truly a horrific existence.

Yep, West Coast barely lose players to the go home factor and he will no doubt stay as Corn Cobbers posted above. I honestly don't see why he would leave when he has the club (and City/State) at his finger tips, and WCE have a proven record of talent retention.

Now....if he was at Freo, that would be a different story.....

I remember when both Judd & Pavlich were in contract years & the West ran a bunch of stories on why Pav would leave & Judd would stay. Their reasoning was very similar to yours above. We know how that ended.

Yeah he played pretty well. But I get the feeling he's been drinking his own bathwater. Thinks he's maybe more advanced than he really is. Got pinged holding the ball twice and could have had a couple more. Assumes no one cantackle him. Wrongly. Also tried to through his weight around with late bumps and push and shove on Cox, Pendlebury and others. Just looked a bit of a goose doing that. They just laughed at him.

Tbf he's been pinged for HTB a few times a game since his very first game so if he's drinking too much of his own bath water it's been overall working out well

Tbf he's been pinged for HTB a few times a game since his very first game so if he's drinking too much of his own bath water it's been overall working out well

He got pinged twice on the weekend (fairly sure...from memory) one he only got tackled because he was tripped and really should have received a free. The other one that resulted in a goal, he'd argue he got rid of the ball legally and live, I thought he had a case, there was a lot of bodies around the ball so hard to tell.

He got pinged twice on the weekend (fairly sure...from memory) one he only got tackled because he was tripped and really should have received a free. The other one that resulted in a goal, he'd argue he got rid of the ball legally and live, I thought he had a case, there was a lot of bodies around the ball so hard to tell.
Gee you have been reading too much of the West Australian.

Take your West Coast glasses off. Reid was absolutely holding the ball when he was tackled that resulted in a direct goal. Reid tried top push off Sullivan but Sullivan was too strong in the tackle and drove Reid to the ground.

Reid cant beat them all. Granted he has shown glimpses of promise (namely in the Derby) but overall he has just been a solid first year player.

Take your West Coast glasses off. Reid was absolutely holding the ball when he was tackled that resulted in a direct goal. Reid tried top push off Sullivan but Sullivan was too strong in the tackle and drove Reid to the ground.

Reid cant beat them all. Granted he has shown glimpses of promise (namely in the Derby) but overall he has just been a solid first year player.
They only paid HTB one way in the first half though. Some of the ones they let go for Collingwood were laughable. No wonder they were getting pissed off.

Still, it's a weird ting for people to be getting hung up on though. All players are going to get caught HTB at some point. The fact that he can break 5+ tackles a game and open the game up means he needs to keep trying it.

Yes Reid has gotten caught out, and he will get caught out plenty more times in his career. Every player does. But he's going to learn from mistakes, and get better. Happened to Dusty plenty of times, has happened to Naicos, Bont, Trac and a plenty more of the best.

Trying to criticize him when he's playing to his strengths is an odd take, he'll take risks because he backs himself in, it won't always work out but that's ok. You highlight that the tackle resulted in a direct goal against, but also ignore that goals have been scored for West Coast as a direct result of him breaking tackles and opening up the game.

Darcy Wilson will win. Just further developed. Infact I dont recall many players more ready and developed as this guy. You can see he was ready from day 1.

Im confident Reid ends up the better player overall when they hit 30 years old, but im confident also Wilson is the steal of the draft class and worthy of winning the award

Remove this Banner Ad

Back