Society/Culture Has cancel culture gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

Indeed.

And what's that little saying they have "Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it."
Left wing politics is at heart a demand for the whole of society to bend around an individuals false perception that it either hasn't done its job or actively discriminates against them. Unhappy people who fall into a group narrative that they think best explains their prediciment. So when a voice from mainstream society points out the lack of individual responsibility (which is the real problem) its easiest to respond as a collective and have that voice silenced.

Last edited:
The great problem here is left wing politics is at heart a demand for the whole of society to bend around their false perception that it either hasn't done its job or actively discriminates against them.
Huh? Discriminates against who?

This is gibberish.

Unhappy people who fall into a group narrative that they think best explains their prediciment.
That happens on the right all the time as well. You may as well be describing organised religion or the grievances of RW populism.

Stop making stupid blanket statements.

Left wing politics is at heart a demand for the whole of society to bend around their false perception that it either hasn't done its job or actively discriminates against them. Unhappy people who fall into a group narrative that they think best explains their prediciment. So when a voice from mainstream society points out the lack of individual responsibility (which is the real problem) its easiest to respond as a collective and have that voice silenced.

So when the LNP cancelled Malcolm Turnbull, that was left wing politics?

You're telling lies. Statue names are not being changed. Dates are not being changed.

You have proven yourself to have unsupportable, whacky views and admit associating with far-right groups. Hence your satire looks like something you actually believe is the literal truth.
Is your complaint here that I stated that statues are being "renamed", rather than the literal truth: they are being pulled down by undemocratic rioters?

Did we not just have the legacy of innovator Edward Coon soured by people who believe that common surnames = violence?

Do we not have perpetual demands to change dates, such as Australia Day?

As for my link to Proud Boys, who I now condemn as being part of the problem... how many deaths have they been responsible for this year? How many millions of dollars in property damage? Is the answer to both questions "zero"?

Compared to BLM, who have caused at least 30 deaths in the US alone this year, 26 of them from gunshot wounds.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Wait! When did FK patch over to the Proud Boys?

Never mind. Can we take a step back and please stop the bickering? Sweet Jesus has thoroughly proven the case that cancel culture has gone too far.

The obvious question then is, what do we as a community do about it?

Do we need to educate the cancelers? Do we punish them, or take a holistic approach instead? So many questions.

I'm talking about people, you are talking about statues of people.
I'm not. I've said very little about statues.

Which context are you referring to?
The context is a discussion of "cancel culture". Malcolm Turnbull wasn't a victim of cancel culture. He was replaced as the leader of a political party.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not. I've said very little about statues.

The context is a discussion of "cancel culture". Malcolm Turnbull wasn't a victim of cancel culture. He was replaced as the leader of a political party.

I'm saying that it's literally the same thing as knocking down a statue of him. Or, Captain Cook's statue, if you prefer that argument.

Is your complaint here that I stated that statues are being "renamed", rather than the literal truth: they are being pulled down by undemocratic rioters?
Yes because changing the name of statues is not what is happening. That's ridiculous.

Try again.

Did we not just have the legacy of innovator Edward Coon soured by people who believe that common surnames = violence?
Yes, your childhood hero. The man whose respect and dignity you have constantly fought for. Or just some alt-right bandwagon you've attached yourself to.

Try again.

Do we not have perpetual demands to change dates, such as Australia Day?
This is not an act of erasing history. Australia Day has been held on half a dozen different days over the years.

Try again.

As for my link to Proud Boys, who I now condemn as being part of the problem... how many deaths have they been responsible for this year? How many millions of dollars in property damage? Is the answer to both questions "zero"?
Because they are a waning "force" since many of their leaders quit, went to prison, got disbarred, got sacked, grew up, joined other fashy organisations etc etc etc.

Who is the new not-quite-Nazi mob you're now aligning yourself with? When do they plan to get kicked off of Facebook?

Yes because changing the name of statues is not what is happening. That's ridiculous.

Try again.
To be clear: statues being defaced and pulled down with chains is a lesser issue than them being "renamed", per my quote?
Yes, your childhood hero. The man whose respect and dignity you have constantly fought for. Or just some alt-right bandwagon you've attached yourself to.
So while cancel culture does not exist, on those occasions where it clearly does exist, and against the innocent families of historical chemists: "They're not your childhood hero and therefore it doesn't matter"?
Who is the new not-quite-Nazi mob you're now aligning yourself with? When do they plan to get kicked off of Facebook?
I guess it's easy to ignore the considerable violence committed by BLM if you can pigeonhole anyone calling it out as an insincere alt right deviant.

To be clear: statues being defaced and pulled down with chains is a lesser issue than them being "renamed", per my quote?

So while cancel culture does not exist, on those occasions where it clearly does exist, and against the innocent families of historical chemists: "They're not your childhood hero and therefore it doesn't matter"?

I guess it's easy to ignore the considerable violence committed by BLM if you can pigeonhole anyone calling it out as an insincere alt right deviant.
Did you condemn Colin Kaepernick being cancelled?

Or did he have it coming because his protest was unacceptable?

Did you condemn Colin Kaepernick being cancelled?

Or did he have it coming because his protest was unacceptable?
I was fine with civil criticisms of his actions being made, I was not fine with him losing his job or facing threats or anything else. The Twitter mob on both sides tend to be represented by that 1% of extremist nutters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back