Society/Culture Has it become impossible now to hit on someone for sex?

Remove this Banner Ad

Like, for example, you doing it to Selma Hayek

No, I wouldn't do that, not without some serious cues anyway. Could I walk up to a woman, and after the usual to and fro's that look for what I can perceive as the right cues, ask her if she wants to come with me for some horizontal limbo? Yes. Have I done this? Yes. Has it been successful? Yes. Have I been knocked back? Yes.

What is your point?

I have found the vast majority of the men worried about whether they can get any action in the "current modern day environment" are complete losers who weren't getting any action in the first place and nor would they be getting much action in any environment.

Blokes who know how to talk to chicks have always been successful and will continue to be.

No, I wouldn't do that, not without some serious cues anyway. Could I walk up to a woman, and after the usual to and fro's that look for what I can perceive as the right cues, ask her if she wants to come with me for some horizontal limbo? Yes. Have I done this? Yes. Has it been successful? Yes. Have I been knocked back? Yes.

What is your point?
I don't the ladies of Darlinghurst and St Kilda that this poster is obviously referring to are that fussy......

What is your point?

Well, you seem to be agreeing with my point, so you get it, you have nothing to fear from the exposure of these people.

Secondly, Don Burke believes he has behaved inappropriately or would not be making up excuses for it.

Well, you seem to be agreeing with my point, so you get it, you have nothing to fear from the exposure of these people.

I don't understand why you would even entertain that assumption.

My fear is totalitarianism masked as political correctness continuing down the bat s**t crazy path.

Secondly, Don Burke believes he has behaved inappropriately or would not be making up excuses for it.

As I stated waaaaay back in the Burke thread, I think he is genuinely remorseful for some of his past conduct.

I don't understand why you would even entertain that assumption.

My fear is totalitarianism masked as political correctness continuing down the bat s**t crazy path.

As I stated waaaaay back in the Burke thread, I think he is genuinely remorseful for some of his past conduct.

From my first post in here, apparently, according to you, this was the reason for creating the OP, I found that surprising. I thought it was due to your second sentence...

With regards to your second sentence, ah yes, but;

1) PC going down a bat s**t crazy path vs the direction this thread went is ~=.

2) Society has already (and still is) ran / running away from reality on a number of fronts, so it wouldn’t make any difference. But it is good that whoever is in charge of the freak show is regularly displaced, keep the freak show interesting.

Correct, I would not behave like that. However, I understand that people engage in a myriad of courtship behaviors and that it is not my place to be overly judgmental about this. I have seen women walk up and seduce men by grabbing their crotches. It's not male only conduct.

I don’t think anyone has said nobody can ever do this sort of thing.

But it is risky behaviour. All it takes is for the subject of the action to object and you’ve got a sexual assault case.

Any touching of another person is assault, but assault can be justified by things like direct agreement or by general rule allowing incidental contact.

So if you want to remove a bit of risk from your life, don’t do it.

But if you do continue to engage in risky behaviour don’t hide from the consequences, pissing and moaning about how unfair it all is and pretending it’s some weird new imposition on your life.

“But I’m famous/rich/a tough guy I shouldn’t be held to the same standards! I’m confused about what I can do because I get away with stuff mere plebs can only dream of! Don’t judge me!”

That’s the whiny s**t we’re all ******* sick of.

From my first post in here, apparently, according to you, this was the reason for creating the OP, I found that surprising. I thought it was due to your second sentence...

With regards to your second sentence, ah yes, but;

1) PC going down a bat s**t crazy path vs the direction this thread went is ~=.

2) Society has already (and still is) ran / running away from reality on a number of fronts, so it wouldn’t make any difference. But it is good that whoever is in charge of the freak show is regularly displaced, keep the freak show interesting.

Here’s another unsolicited thought for no one in particular, has all the proselytising from the “right”, rubbed off on the “left”? That is, are the “left” exactly what the “right” states without giving action to these particular sentiments. Perhaps the “left” has listened to all the self righteousness and taken it on board, for example, “camels passing through eyes of needles” “do unto others”

What if the “left” all get up to heaven first? Or the “left” are the divine judgement? The “left” are evolved when the “right” sin. The “left” are created as judgement.

Blokes who know how to talk to chicks have always been successful and will continue to be.
That’s the point of the argument by Snake_Baker. The likes of Affleck and Burke actually aren’t curbed by this phenomenon. It’s incredibly naive to think they will be.

The over confident and high status men who try it on with every woman in any situation will paradoxically have freer reign with his behaviour, while men for whom the risk of loss of status is too great for a chance of occasional sex will self select out.

That’s the point of the argument by Snake_Baker. The likes of Affleck and Burke actually aren’t curbed by this phenomenon. It’s incredibly naive to think they will be.

The over confident and high status men who try it on with every woman in any situation will paradoxically have freer reign with his behaviour, while men for whom the risk of loss of status is too great for a chance of occasional sex will self select out.

A lot of the talk here discusses Gender, are we ignoring the Kevin Spacey side of things?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All (non paying) heterosexual men engage in manipulation to find sexual partners.

All (non paying) heterosexual women also engage in manipulation to find sexual partners.

I assume you are calling me Tarzan? No doubt, the irony of the evaluation is completely lost on you.

To a point agree. Don't know if manipulation is the right word (but I honestly can't think of a better one) but people are rarely 100% honest about anything in life, including in and during courtship. Instinctively men and women know "some" of their interests don't align so present what they think the other wants to hear. Hence confusion.

So have we come to a conclusion about the title of the thread? "Impossible" is a pretty rigid word so I think it has a yes or no answer.

What do you think: Yes or no?

Not impossible at all but more difficult. Men and women have been getting it on for millions of years and will do for millions more.

BUT it people have always been influenced by the culture and time they find themselves in. Today's climate (for a heap of reasons) does make it harder for men and women to relate to one another.

To a point agree. Don't know if manipulation is the right word (but I honestly can't think of a better one) but people are rarely 100% honest about anything in life, including in and during courtship. Instinctively men and women know "some" of their interests don't align so present what they think the other wants to hear. Hence confusion.

Manipulation is not necessarily dishonest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back