Opinion Have we clicked?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it’s time that I get a definition of this lid thing. I have a vague idea based on what’s been said here. But we don’t use the term in the states. Seems like it’s going to be an ongoing thing as we continue our march towards an undefeated season, and it doesn’t feel right to keep mocking schmutty and LP about it unless I fully understand it.

Now that I think about it I don't think I've ever known what the metaphor is supposed to be. I know it derives from the phrase "keep a lid on it", but basically in footy speak if the lid is on it means you are being humble and don't engage much in the excitement of good form or speculate too much about the possibilities of long term success.

When the lid is off it means you basically turn into a nuffy.

I think it’s time that I get a definition of this lid thing. I have a vague idea based on what’s been said here. But we don’t use the term in the states. Seems like it’s going to be an ongoing thing as we continue our march towards an undefeated season, and it doesn’t feel right to keep mocking schmutty and LP about it unless I fully understand it.

Similar to the phrase 'training the house down,' the idiom has deviated so far from its original source it's hard to identify exactly where it arose from. As the esteemed poster above me mentioned, I think it arises from the phrase 'keeping a lid on it,' which in turn derives from the phrase 'blowing your lid,' (alternately called 'blow your top') when someone would explode without warning because of something happening to their distaste. All of which I can only assume derives from the joke 'can of peanuts' which would explode when opened on the poor unsuspecting punter who was simply hoping for a nice salted peanut.

The current state of the MFC lid can be explained with this clip:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back