Have you ever considered packing up your life and moving interstate/overseas?

Remove this Banner Ad

Again you are missing the point.

It is my opinion based on a variety of situations of travelling over the past 20 years to each of these continents.

It is not about what Australia has got with these 6 points. Its about what each of those countries that I have visited did not have that made me think 'gee I am glad I dont have to do this every day'.

For example, in one country I could not drink from a tap for 3 weeks let alone open my mouth in the shower or brush my teeth and drink it. That makes me think, 'gee I am glad I dont live here and have to do this everyday.'

I really dont know how to be anymore clearer than this; I think you just want to pick a fight based on some misguided xenophobic opinion you think I have.

The problem I found living overseas was that I didn't own a car and had to share a house with 4 other people. Felt like a 18 yo kid out of the house for the 1st time. After a while you grow sick of having to wait to wash your clothes or use the oven.

I am having a hate relationship with Australia at the present, maybe it's just the media but right wing, racist, poorly educated are the first things that come to mind when I see the Australian flag....and then there's the image I have of someone like Tony Abbott living in the lodge and to top it off I spent way to much time working in areas were every second person you meet is on Speed, Meth or suffering from some form of metal illness caused though substance abuse...I earn good money here I can't knock that but the place is creepy and I don't see it getting any better...I am making plans to build overseas at the moment and over the next 12 months will be in a position to spend 6 months there and 6 here until I have established a sustainable business over there and the only thing I will miss will be the football.
Pretty sure in plenty of other countries you'll find people on crack/Meth/whatever the local drug is. Most likely you'll Aldo find people whose politics you don't agree with also. It's called life

1. Space to move, grow, live, do whatever without others in your own face-space all the time.
2. Water you can drink from the tap.
3. A range of fresh vegetables and fruit and cereals.
4. A higher standard of living for the greater majority.
5. Universal health care system.
6. Helpful Customs.

Now there are exceptions to all of these and before the parrots jump on board them, they are generalisations from 20 years of travel and dont apply to all of the named ^^^ places.

But in each of those 6. points I have had experiences o/s which makes me think I am glad I live in Aust.

Dont get me wrong, I am happy to visit the ^^ places, I just wouldnt live there.

Not trying to pick a bunsenburneresque fight either, but on point 5.... I can waltz up to a western standard private hospital in Bangkok and get a couple of fillings or any other minor dental work done on the spot by a western educated dentist, the bill will be maybe $100 max. My son was born there, emergency caesar (I won't bore with details, but there were complications). Total cost less than $3k. In Sydney I was recently quoted $1200 for 5 fillings and a very simple extraction for my daughter. If I want antibiotics, in Bangkok I walk into a chemist and fork out $2 over the counter. Done. In Aus you have to go to a doctor (if you can get an appointment), wait... get a prescription... pay $30 or whatever for "subsidised" drugs. You get the drift.

A few years ago I had to have my gall bladder out. Won't bore with all details, but it was misdiagnosed as a stomach ulcer by a Dr in Aus. Pain continued; a few months later went to SOS in Jakarta, Dr explained straight away what the problem was and I was medivac'ed to Singapore that night. Problem solved. Could have been dead otherwise (not kidding, leads to pancreatitis which aint good!).

I agree our medical system is far better than the rip off state of the US, and is functional, but there's better places to go if you want quality medical care at a reasonable price.

Tempted to start a rant on crap service in Aus, particularly in retail and hospitality, but let's not go there.

I really wish we had the culture where you moved for uni. I don't mean a country kid going to the nearest city. More so, someone from Adelaide going to Tassie. It really only exists if you're a) interested in moving somewhere, b) get a great score and need to go to Sydney, Canberra, or Melbs to get the best education. Some Britons I know always say how the first year of uni is insane. You have to try not to get pissed and go up the student union every night. They made friends on the first week, kept them, and continually made more through their courses: Everyone was new, didn't really have close friends, and basically open.

I lived on campus this year and it was pretty boring. I lived with seven other people, and only one bloke (and a Swede for the first semester) were normal. Everyone else was extremely immature or completely socially *ed. When a Swede is up for going to the footy more than almost all your housemates, you know something's amiss. But hey. People tend to talk at uni almost exclusively, but then the idea of hanging out outside of that is daunting and weird. I dunno. I just think it'd be a lot more interesting and progressive if we had that system over here.

My only regret in life so far is not doing a semester abroad. Would have loved to been in the position to do a full degree in the states but there is very expensive. A semester was an option and I just never took it :(

That said the moment I thought I was able to make decent coin overseas I made the move, no regrets. I've never heard of anyone say they regret it either, the only real "risk" you run is meeting a someone and having to choose between them and coming home.

I agree our medical system is far better than the rip off state of the US, and is functional, but there's better places to go if you want quality medical care at a reasonable price.

That was my example of my 6. points.

And no, I am not going into the stories surrounding all 6 points.

My point was that combined, I am glad I was a visitor in those places and not living there.

Frustrating, I wish had never queried 'why Australia is s**t'.

breakingbad.gif

Its a interesting thing to consider.. I travelled to London and U.S.A last year and i reckon i could easily live in London but i dont have any special high end qualifications. I work as a Customer Service Rep for a big company in my role i focus on Corporate orders and Leagues / AFL clubs.. Not something that would land me a decent gig in London i wouldnt imagine..

I'd be pretty confident that the misses would be keen to move over if anything ever came up but I'd hate to have a crack at it and struggle.

I'd be pretty confident that the misses would be keen to move over if anything ever came up but I'd hate to have a crack at it and struggle.
s**t way to live.

Things can go wrong by staying in Australia. You might be made redundant, or your house could burn down like those poor Tasmanians. Life is wasted when it's conservative.

Its a interesting thing to consider.. I travelled to London and U.S.A last year and i reckon i could easily live in London but i dont have any special high end qualifications. I work as a Customer Service Rep for a big company in my role i focus on Corporate orders and Leagues / AFL clubs.. Not something that would land me a decent gig in London i wouldnt imagine..

Email a few recruitment agencies now with your CV and a bit of a background of what you currently do and whether you want to stay in the same industry or willing to try something different plus when you are looking at heading over. They should give you plenty of feedback and you can then decide if you think its worth it.

When I moved to the UK in 2001, I had already spoken to a couple of agencies and had interviews set up for 2 days after I arrived.

s**t way to live.

s**t attitude.

Most have differing views on life and how to live it. This could be impacted through experiences, up-bringing, friends, media, education, etc.

Without knowing his situation or stage he is in, to dismiss it like that is pathetic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

s**t attitude.

Most have differing views on life and how to live it. This could be impacted through experiences, up-bringing, friends, media, education, etc.

Without knowing his situation or stage he is in, to dismiss it like that is pathetic.

19 and knows it all...

Come on Silent Alarm, don't be a judgemental piss flap. This is about people's experiences, stories and advice.

Yeah, I did think it could come across that way. Obviously, the guy could have genuine reasons. But baseless angst is pointless.

Do it.

Lived OS from 2002 - 2010 (mostly Ireland and Scotland)

Came back to see what Aust was like. Bored now.

Going back to Europe as soon as I can (need a job before I go now)

Strange how people who hate Australia and it's views and people will spend endless hours on an Australian football forum conversing with 99% Australians.

I guess theres not much else to read or do online, they must not really have the internet overseas.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but depsite a few criticisms (inevitable in any comparison / constructive debate), especially when one sees a million other (better?) ways of ordering a pint, did anyone in this thread actually indicate they "hate" Australia? The broad minded amongst us will express views, positive and negative, but "hate"?

I think the general consensus is you can have a great time if you live the life of an expat for a year or 10. But hetrad for one's homeland is a little strong a sentiment.

Go the Tiges.

Strange how people who hate Australia and it's views and people will spend endless hours on an Australian football forum conversing with 99% Australians.

I guess theres not much else to read or do online, they must not really have the internet overseas.

Seriously? You equate people interested in football with unquestioned zealotry towards cultural tropes & norms?

Pretty sure in plenty of other countries you'll find people on crack/Meth/whatever the local drug is. Most likely you'll Aldo find people whose politics you don't agree with also. It's called life

That's a fact...the issue I have with oz is the opportunity that it has had to be great and instead it has gone down the path of becoming the Asia/Pacific's equivalent of Paris Hilton...rich and all the friends money can buy but stupid and not someone you would choose to hang out with...it is a disappointment.

*maybe hop on a flight to Bali one day, go down Hindley St in Adelaide, venture into the northern suburbs..this is mainstream Australia and it should have done better.

Was born in perth.. moved to Melbourne.. back to Perth.. back to Melbourne and back to Perth.. then in year 6 moved to Brisbane. Have managed to stay at the one high school and that almost changed 6 months ago when we may have had to move to Chinchilla for Dad's work.. only got one year left and then who knows where I will end up..

Largely the cultural customs, its become america lite

The politics
Class envy
Insular mind sets
Small town media & attitudes
Anti business or social mobility

Etc

There is great climate & lifestyle but culturally its armageddon

Cant argue with those...yet your avatar and name is ironic....;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back