No Oppo Supporters Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only - Next Part

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus, as with Keath, Adelaide are a system oriented team and Laird is given a role in that system to play the type of footy he plays.

When you run a comparison of Metres Gained per disposal it's even more of a stark contrast.

Lets have a look at the blokes who slice you open distributing off the half back:

Lewis Jetta, 25 metres gained per disposal
Daniel Rich, 23 metres gained per disposal
Tom Stewart, 22 metres gained per disposal
James Sicily, 21 metres gained per disposal

All the way down at 429th in the competition is Rory Laird at 12 metres gained per disposal.

We needed some more drive off half back. What we don't need is a bloke who recycles the ball. Keep in mind Adelaide had their full defensive set up in for most of the year and they struggled now that teams have figured them out.

If I was going to go for anyone from the crows backline it'd be Brodie Smith.

Didn’t see this post before I posted mine but this is absolutely spot on.

I just don’t think that using pick 10 on Laird is the right way to go considering our small-medium defenders is probably our strongest part of the ground. We need to target KPD and elite midfielders.

Again though, Wrighty and Clarko know best.

If we chase Laird then Whitfield must have told us no... not overly keen on Laird. Where has this talk come from?

Laird averages 12.7 metres gained per disposal, McGrath averages 13.2. Just because he is older and knows how to find a bit more of the footy, doesn’t mean he is less of a crab.

For comparison, Sicily averages 21.3 metres gained per posession, Impey averages 17.6 and even Scrimshaw already averages 14.8.

I’m not saying Laird is a terrible player, but people who expect him to come in and give us “drive off half back” similar to Impey are going to be bitterly disappointed.

People warning against Alex Keath because he was a “system based defender” but advocating for Laird also makes no sense.

Anyway, GW and Clarko bring Laird in then I’ll back them in because they are the best in the business. Just putting it out there that he is not the player that many people percieve him to be.
Curiously asking is that Laird's career stats for metres gained per possession or is it just for this seasons? If its only his 2019 stats then I'd be interested to know what his stat breakdown is especially in both his AA years. He had a poor year this year as we all know.

Curiously asking is that Laird's career stats for metres gained per possession or is it just for this seasons? If its only his 2019 stats then I'd be interested to know what his stat breakdown is especially in both his AA years. He had a poor year this year as we all know.

For those wanting Laird, you’re not getting him cheap, and as a result you’re not getting Whitfield, Petracca, Wines or any other star midfielder to join us to strengthen us in the most important part of the ground.
do wonder if they ask the question thinking they could turn him into a dashing mid though. He isnt needed in the middle in Adelaide in theory, maybe Hawthorn see him more there than a flanker. Just a thought

So he's down by about 70 meters per game from 2018 to 2019. Seems like his form slump is tied directly to whatever was going on behind closed doors like 3/4 of their team. I wouldn't mind having him but it would definitely depend on what we'd have to give up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plus, as with Keath, Adelaide are a system oriented team and Laird is given a role in that system to play the type of footy he plays.

When you run a comparison of Metres Gained per disposal it's even more of a stark contrast.

Lets have a look at the blokes who slice you open distributing off the half back:

Lewis Jetta, 25 metres gained per disposal
Daniel Rich, 23 metres gained per disposal
Tom Stewart, 22 metres gained per disposal
James Sicily, 21 metres gained per disposal

All the way down at 429th in the competition is Rory Laird at 12 metres gained per disposal.

We needed some more drive off half back. What we don't need is a bloke who recycles the ball. Keep in mind Adelaide had their full defensive set up in for most of the year and they struggled now that teams have figured them out.

If I was going to go for anyone from the crows backline it'd be Brodie Smith.

It's important to consider the kick to handball ratios of those players when comparing to Laird. Sicily went at 3:1 for kicks:handballs whereas Laird is about 1:1. It's a lot easier to gain metres when you're kicking 3 times as much as you're handballing.

Not advocating for Laird as I think we need a KPD before anything else, just something to consider when talking about metres gained.

For those wanting Laird, you’re not getting him cheap, and as a result you’re not getting Whitfield, Petracca, Wines or any other star midfielder to join us to strengthen us in the most important part of the ground.

Don't disagree but what if none of those guys are interested in coming to Hawthorn?* Sure, everyone would prefer Whitfield but it is unlikely to be a choice between the two. Outside of the fact that we have clearly had long-standing interest in Whitfield (as I am sure many other clubs have) and the irrelevant fact that he supported us as a child, is there any reason to think that he is in play or a plausible trade target?

Laird is a much better player than Petracca.

If an elite player becomes available, we should be looking at them. Laird is a flanker but he's one of the best flankers in the game and run and delivery off half back has always been highly valued by Clarkson. He would make us a better side.

*Nothing to suggest Laird is interested in coming to Hawthorn either. It is all hypothetical at this stage.

Don't disagree but what if none of those guys are interested in coming to Hawthorn?* Sure, everyone would prefer Whitfield but it is unlikely to be a choice between the two. Outside of the fact that we have clearly had long-standing interest in Whitfield (as I am sure many other clubs have) and the irrelevant fact that he supported us as a child, is there any reason to think that he is in play or a plausible trade target?

Laird is a much better player than Petracca.

If an elite player becomes available, we should be looking at them. Laird is a flanker but he's one of the best flankers in the game and run and delivery off half back has always been highly valued by Clarkson. He would make us a better side.

*Nothing to suggest Laird is interested in coming to Hawthorn either. It is all hypothetical at this stage.
Agree with this...its talent accumulation.

You dont say sorry Rory we arent interested in case A, B or C turn around in a year and say he wants to come. If that happens and then the guys you are saying do want over then you find a way to move contracts around to make it work.

All irrelevant until he comes out and says he wants to come anyways so we can relax till then

You dont say sorry Rory we arent interested in case A, B or C turn around in a year and say he wants to come. If that happens and then the guys you are saying do want over then you find a way to move contracts around to make it work.

All irrelevant until he comes out and says he wants to come anyways so we can relax till then
If very good players who will improve our list become available, we look at them. If they are actually keen to join us and nominate us, get them to the club. Makes no sense to put list improvement on hold for hypothetical pipe dreams or tyre kickers who use us to drive up their price. This is the new norm, players are doing it everywhere (Goldstein with Geelong just this week).

BTW my comments re Whitfield saying yes and Gil saying no were tongue in cheek

I’ve got NFI, but it seems to me GWS have a list of “untouchable” players that will find themselves as “ambassadors” for something whenever they are out of contract

(should’ve used orange font earlier)

The club would have multiple irons in the fire and a priority list.

They'd be working on their top target first but who that is can change based on availability and ease of acquiring

They could absolutely say to Rory sorry we can't commit to you now if they have a more important target. Whether they would is a different question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back