No Oppo Supporters Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only - Next Part

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greenwood would be a tremendous addition. Tough, contested beast and good over head.
We don’t yet have a midfield enforcer, we need a brute in there who can dish out some heavy tackles or lay some blocks for our other mids who are all 5’10-6ft types. We need a bull.

He may be 27 but in football terms he’s more like 23. Hasn’t got the mileage of a 27 year old.

People are short sighted, no he’s not Coniglio, but he’s is a handy footballer who can contribute to Hawthorn going up the ladder. Can’t just have the same 22 all year, you need a squad to win finals and flags.
He takes pressure off of Worps and Jaeger for a start. Is much more versatile than Howe and makes good decisions with his basketball background. If he can get a little bit more ball each week he will become vital to us contending again. He is your classic foot soldier who will be disciplined and committed to any task given to him. Richmond have a plethora of these types and how are they going ATM.

Oh FFS !!!!
Really.....!!!!!
So what do you know ......????
Be assured my friend, be utterly assured I have some knowledge, far from complete knowledge, but I can assure you List acquisition is the sum of a number of List acquisitions. I will say that again..... the sum of a number of List Acquisitions. It is called List strategy and balancing.

I may not have enough info about individual player targets at this very moment to confidently divulge them, BUT I do have more than enough knowledge about how we go about building a TOTAL List, including Depth or Role players.

Frankly my friend, you have yet again affirmed why it is pointless sharing any meaningful information in this place.

FFS !!!
Come on, that's not a team approach from a Hawk, it was a serious question with no offence meant! Wouldn't a smarter plan be to be to take our draft picks this year, pick up Finn and Pepper, pick up some role players cheap, front end contracts and then finally offer a massive contract next year to Whitfield or Cameron or Grundy etc.

Delisted Free Agent, some perspective peeps. Costs nothing, literally nothing. I'd absolutely take him.
Isn't he originally Victorian?, would certainly be interested in coming back home in that case. You know what you will get with Masten. Isn't A grade but at worst a C grader who knows his limitations and strengths. Would fit seamlessly into our team and anyone who thinks otherwise is being silly.

I’m generally up for signing anyone in a pressure forward role if it means Wingard plays midfield 90% of the time next year. Having four mids who can kick goals on the run (Mitchell, JOM, Worps and Wingard) would certainly help us crack the century scores more next season. Greenwood is more than welcome in my eyes if that’s the role he is filling.
Maybe not 90% midfield time but agreed with the sentiment as he plays his best footy in the guts. All four players you listed are capable of rotating forward as well. I think Worpel and Mitchell do most of their damage around goal at stoppages though as opposed to playing forward.

C: Mitchell, O'Meara, Worpel
F: Wingard
I/C: Shiels

Just have them rotate around these positions and it helps greatly with our midfield and scoring power. Throw in burgoyne for a couple centre bounces and forward too and I am already excited about our performance.

That being said, pressure forward, KPP forward/defence and speed from defence is what we should be targeting. Unless of course we lose a player that leaves a void.

I honestly dont understand why people are against either Greenwood or Masten. I think that potentially we as Hawthorn supporters expect a big name every year, this simply isnt able to happen. Greenwood would be a good addition, he is a big bodied midfielder that can take a mark and is a great tackler. I think he would play pressure forward that can play inside too. When he goes into the middle he attacks the ball and uses his big frame to assist the other midfielders. Masten, whilst lower on his possessions the past few seasons still uses it at 77% efficiency which is graded as Elite by the AFL standards.

I think we are expecting to get in the stars that will change the game but every team that competes at this time of the year have a competitive bottom 6 and at the moment we dont have that.

We have heard Clarkson make comment on Geelong's turn around so lets compare the pair. After last season they finished in 8th with 13 wins and got knocked out first week of the finals by 29 points to Melbourne. In the exchange period they added Dahlhaus as a Free Agent and traded for Gary Rohan. Neither of these guys, whilst AFL standard, are absolute stars yet the Cats finished on top and are in a Preliminary Final this weekend.

This season we finished 9th with 11 wins.

I do get guys wanting to play kids and get games into them, however to me, flat out saying that recruiting Masten as a free agent (if that happens) and trading in Greenwood, who would contribute, and likely wont cost you much in way of a trade as the wrong move and not seeing that our list needs the depth is baffling to me.

Masten won a flag last year, we have lost Roughead and probably more, maybe he will be able to bring in some fresh notes and we all forget if he does come you can bet that Sam Mitchell has green lit the Hawks going for him which to me means there is something worth it in the move.

It is the same with recruiting Patton. If this club thinks throwing a 3rd or 4th rounder at him to bring him in then who are we to complain and carry on? They have a deep history of getting this stuff right.

I will back them in everyday of the week, if they for some crazy reason moved their first for Greenwood then okay lets meltdown but till then I am 100% for it and think he will be of great benefit to our list.

I honestly dont understand why people are against either Greenwood or Masten. I think that potentially we as Hawthorn supporters expect a big name every year, this simply isnt able to happen. Greenwood would be a good addition, he is a big bodied midfielder that can take a mark and is a great tackler. I think he would play pressure forward that can play inside too. When he goes into the middle he attacks the ball and uses his big frame to assist the other midfielders. Masten, whilst lower on his possessions the past few seasons still uses it at 77% efficiency which is graded as Elite by the AFL standards.

I think we are expecting to get in the stars that will change the game but every team that competes at this time of the year have a competitive bottom 6 and at the moment we dont have that.

We have heard Clarkson make comment on Geelong's turn around so lets compare the pair. After last season they finished in 8th with 13 wins and got knocked out first week of the finals by 29 points to Melbourne. In the exchange period they added Dahlhaus as a Free Agent and traded for Gary Rohan. Neither of these guys, whilst AFL standard, are absolute stars yet the Cats finished on top and are in a Preliminary Final this weekend.

I do get guys wanting to play kids and get games into them, however to me, flat out saying that recruiting Masten as a free agent (if that happens) and trading in Greenwood, who would contribute, and likely wont cost you much in way of a trade as the wrong move and not seeing that our list needs the depth is baffling to me.

Masten won a flag last year, we have lost Roughead and probably more, maybe he will be able to bring in some fresh notes and we all forget if he does come you can bet that Sam Mitchell has green lit the Hawks going for him which to me means there is something worth it in the move.

It is the same with recruiting Patton. If this club thinks throwing a 3rd or 4th rounder at him to bring him in then who are we to complain and carry on? They have a deep history of getting this stuff right.

I will back them in everyday of the week, if they for some crazy reason moved their first for Greenwood then okay lets meltdown but till then I am 100% for it and think he will be of great benefit to our list.
Geelong had a dream run with injuries, we did not.

Geelong had a dream run with injuries, we did not.
im not saying it will be a clone of a season, nor am i saying that they are that much better purely because of those guys...simply that we need to broaden our vision from bringing in one star to 2-3 role players that will help

Look at his 2018 season, not 2019. Played well in 2018.

Season high of 26 possessions (once), 24 next best (once). Fourteen games of <20 touches, eight of 20 and over, equalling an average of <18, this is not a ringing endorsement.

However his tackling numbers are nice.

Last edited:
Season high of 26 possessions (once), 24 next best (once) and an average of <18 is not a ringing endorsement. However his tackling numbers are nice.
We don’t really need another big major ball winner like Mitchell, we need a greenwood, good clearance and contested player, a wonderful tackler. Also can have a good impact when fwd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on, contrary to popular belief Masten is actually a good kick, glaring errors get shown in games which gets highlighted but is usually pretty solid by foot from what I've seen. Doesn't take too many risks and is a good decision maker. I can easily see him accumulate 20 possessions a game if he was in the seniors because he would get to the right spots and we would trust him with the ball in hand. Has the runs on the board to justify that faith.

Spot on, contrary to popular belief Masten is actually a good kick, glaring errors get shown in games which gets highlighted but is usually pretty solid by foot from what I've seen. Doesn't take too many risks and is a good decision maker. I can easily see him accumulate 20 possessions a game if he was in the seniors because he would get to the right spots and we would trust him with the ball in hand. Has the runs on the board to justify that faith.
Was a former number 3 draft pick we need to remember.

We don’t really need another big major ball winner like Mitchell, we need a greenwood, good clearance and contested player, a wonderful tackler. Also can have a good impact when fwd.

I like the idea of him as a forward - his tackling, hardness and marking are things we need.

I just don't want to hear that he's a gun midfielder and has played excellent games there in the past when all stats suggest otherwise.

At the end of the day he's a mid/forward that averages <18 touches and <1 goal per game, and will be 28 next season.

I like the idea of him as a forward - his tackling, hardness and marking are things we need.

I just don't want to hear that he's a gun midfielder and has played excellent games there in the past when all stats suggest otherwise.

At the end of the day he's a mid/forward that averages <18 touches and <1 goal per game, and will be 28 next season.
I think he would be used as a forward, rotating through the middle. Could see him being the big body blocker for Mitchell or O'Meara around packs to assist them breaking away. Used like Roughead in the middle when he was going in at times in the past

I'm not sure when this thread is better. When it's like it is now with pedantic religious arguments left, right and centre or like it was when Cogs was hot and the thread was filled with mewling and neediness.

I like the short posts, though, as they are easier to scan and discard.

You speak about pedantry as though it's a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back