Strategy Hawthorn 90 year team of the VFL/AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

It's always done my head in that Salmon was in the team. I've always considered him more as a true Essendon player and having an Essendon player in the side really doesn't sit well with me.
On the contrary he was always a true hawthorn player who happened to play for essendon. Even when he played for essendon he supported hawthorn. He was stoked when we offered him a contract. He is Hawthorn though and through

I read this post, looked at the bolded bit, and thought 'nah, I'll just let it go'.
Then I re-visited the thread to read other posts and saw it again. Can't let it go this time.

You really haven't seen Brendan Edwards play at all, so have just assumed that since you don't know him, then he doesn't deserve to be there.

Of all those old timers in the TOTC, he the the very last one who I would omit. I am not arguing a case for Cyril, but man, to omit Edwards and include Lewis is just insane.

Why don't you just come out and say 'well I never saw these old blokes, so I'll put together a team of the last 40 years.' Then you may get some agreement.
Played a 109 games 1 b&f 1 x premiership player
Lewis 240 games
B&f in a premiership year 4 x premiership
Who's career would you rather have I think lewis has had a better career at hawthorn.

I might get red carded for this but will ask the question-

Was Michael Tuck as good as what people make him out to be as a pure footballer? I understand he played 427 games (phenomenal durability) and was skipper of the club during our greatest era but as a kid growing up through the 80's and going every week to watch us Tucky never ever really stood out to me.....

(Always contributed for sure and obviously a great leader of men)

Aside from playing more games than anyone ever, more premierships, more finals and captaining the club's greatest era (as you mentioned), Tuck also:
  • Was All Australian twice* - in the 'carnival' era when they picked players from the WAFL, SANFL ,etc and you had to be in the best couple of players in the entire league to get in (by comparison, Leigh Matthews was once All-Aus).
  • Collected 120 Brownlow votes in an era when votes were more spread and playing alongside some of the greats of the game (by comparison, Hodge has 115)
  • Was picked to represent Victoria 11 times, including as captain.
  • Finsihed Top 3 in the B&F 9 times, including 7 times runner up! This in a star studded team with many of those runner up placings being to the player many consider to be the greatest of all time.
Fair to say he desrves his place! (especially remembering these accolades came before he was known as the games recold holder)

*All-Aus was also not picked in 10 of the seasons Tuck competed in, including when he was at his best.

Last edited:

Played a 109 games 1 b&f 1 x premiership player
Lewis 240 games
B&f in a premiership year 4 x premiership
Who's career would you rather have I think lewis has had a better career at hawthorn.
Mate, I would take Brendan Edwards over Lewis every day of the week. Lewis is a great player, but Edwards was special.

I've heard Brendan edwards may have had 50 KICKs in one of the finals leading up to the 61 GF.
Dunno about 50, but he did have 33 in the GF. Considering the way the game was played back then - no one-two cheap possessions - it would be equivalent to a 50 possession game today. And in a GF no less. The Normie wasn't around back then, but if it was, Edwards would have won it by a country mile.

Quite astounding how such a player could be discarded from a 'greatest' team, and with a comment like 'enough said'. FFS.

I read this post, looked at the bolded bit, and thought 'nah, I'll just let it go'.
Then I re-visited the thread to read other posts and saw it again. Can't let it go this time.

You really haven't seen Brendan Edwards play at all, so have just assumed that since you don't know him, then he doesn't deserve to be there.

Of all those old timers in the TOTC, he the the very last one who I would omit. I am not arguing a case for Cyril, but man, to omit Edwards and include Lewis is just insane.

Why don't you just come out and say 'well I never saw these old blokes, so I'll put together a team of the last 40 years.' Then you may get some agreement.

I agree, and I have said before, Edwards is one player in the past who could easily slot into today's team, play today's game style and plan, and still be running hard at the end. He was way before his time, a fitness fanatic. It also raises the point that players of the past weren't full time professional footballers, but held 30/48 hours a week jobs, and only trained twice a week. For the record Edwards was a PE teacher, so that gave him an advantage.

I agree, and I have said before, Edwards is one player in the past who could easily slot into today's team, play today's game style and plan, and still be running hard at the end. He was way before his time, a fitness fanatic. It also raises the point that players of the past weren't full time professional footballers, but held 30/48 hours a week jobs, and only trained twice a week. For the record Edwards was a PE teacher, so that gave him an advantage.

Exactly. Probably the one player from the 60s and even 70s who could slot into modern day football without blinking an eye, because even back then he had a bit of a 'modern day' game play about him, aside from being a fitness freak. So far ahead of his time, so under appreciated for what he could do.

It took Sammy Mitchell to eventually knock him out of my greatest ever team. Up until the extractor came along, Edwards was sitting comfortably in the centre possie.

Alongside a few other players already mentioned, it's amazing that Darrin Pritchard hasn't had a look-in anywhere in this thread...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HAWTHORN:
B
Gary Ayres - Kelvin Moore - Albert Mills
HB Col Austen - Chris Mew - Peter Knights
C Robert DiPierdomenico - Jim Bohan - Brendan Edwards
HF Graham Arthur (Cap) - Dermott Brereton - Gary Buckenara
F Jason Dunstall - Peter Hudson - John Platten
R Don Scott - Michael Tuck - Leigh Matthews
INTERCHANGE: Chris Langford, Ian Law, Roy Simmonds, Paul Salmon
COACH: John Kennedy

Interesting, all but four are Victorian and all four are in the forward line.

HAWTHORN: The locals

B Gary Ayres - Kelvin Moore - Albert Mills

HF Graham Arthur (Cap) - Dermott Brereton– John Hendrie

F Roy Simmonds - Michael Moncrieff – Peter Crimmins

INTERCHANGE: Chris Langford, Luke Hodge, Sam Mitchell, Jarryd Roughead

HAWTHORN: The Interstaters

B Shaun Burgoyne – Brian Lake – Ian Paton

HB Grant Birchall - Bogdan Jaworskj – Robert Day

C Darrin Pritchard – Ben Allan – Shane Crawford

HF Lance Franklin – David Hale - Gary Buckenara

F Jason Dunstall - Peter Hudson - Luke Bruest

R–Steven Lawrence - Darren Jarman - John Platten

INTERCHANGE: Shaun Rehn , Michael Osborne , Rodney Eade, Cyril Rioli,

COACH: Brendon Bolton

Last edited:
HAWTHORN: The locals

B Gary Ayres - Kelvin Moore - Albert Mills

HF Graham Arthur (Cap) - Dermott Brereton– John Hendrie

F Roy Simmonds - Michael Moncrieff – Peter Crimmins

INTERCHANGE: Chris Langford, Luke Hodge, Sam Mitchell, Jarryd Roughead

HAWTHORN: The Interstaters

B Shaun Burgoyne – Brian Lake – Ian Paton

HB Grant Birchall - Bogdan Jaworskj – Robert Day

C Darrin Pritchard – Ben Allan – Shane Crawford

HF Lance Franklin – David Hale - Gary Buckenara

F Jason Dunstall - Peter Hudson - Luke Bruest

R–Steven Lawrence - Darren Jarman - John Platten

INTERCHANGE: Shaun Rehn , Michael Osborne , Rodney Eade, Cyril Rioli,

COACH: Brendon Bolton
Stratton is a bit stiff to miss out for the interstaters.

Welcome to 1925 and the first vfl game of the hawthorn football club.

We may struggle on our first couple of years, but no other team will win more premiersips than us in the next one hundred years

"I reckon hes had a few too many of those champagnes, mate"

Edit, carlton or collingwood could still blow this prediction by winning one more than us in the next decade :)
Oh yeah at Fitzroy even though you have won the most premierships so far (seven, Essendon 6, Collingwood/ Carlton both 5), you will be taken over by Brisbane.

My dad being a mad Hawks fan named me after Brendan Edwards from what I have been told by people who saw him play said he was dead set gun. So think he should at least be on the bench.

And the entire league will be run by muppets who think we're american and love stupid pregame bullshit, the game will be removed from saturday afternoons to make television income more important than the actual game itself or its fans, and when some bloke named Hudson comes to the club, take him from the ground ten minutes into the 2nd qtr in round 1 1972 and don't bring him back on the ground until the following round.

And the entire league will be run by muppets who think we're american and love stupid pregame bullshit, the game will be removed from saturday afternoons to make television income more important than the actual game itself or its fans, and when some bloke named Hudson comes to the club, take him from the ground ten minutes into the 2nd qtr in round 1 1972 and don't bring him back on the ground until the following round.
Endorsed.

On the contrary he was always a true hawthorn player who happened to play for essendon. Even when he played for essendon he supported hawthorn. He was stoked when we offered him a contract. He is Hawthorn though and through

He said all his close friends from football are Hawthorn players.

Top bloke. Everyone should watch his Open Mike. One of the best made.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back