Analysis Hawthorn rebuild: are they tanking?

Should Hawks Be Punished?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They did what Collingwood do in the final quarter with a lead. Just not quite as well. I don't like it much either when we do it - but it clearly can work - lots of heart stoppers, but I don't think I've seen anyone come from behind and win against us doing it yet.
The only team which could lay claim to doing it to the pies since mid way thru 2022 was Geelong in the QF. Pies were by up 12 during the 4th, scores were then tied with a min remaining before they scored but they didn’t get an opportunity to try to lock down the game.

The other 2 losses by under 2 goals were against the Swans in the PF and Melb on KB. Both were shite in those final mins. Pies came from nowhere to bring it to within a kick and both teams were lucky to hold on in the end.

Yes they were all outcoached by a genius with a 33% win record.
Why are you slinging Kane fricken Cornes's opinions at Hawks fans like arrows..?

I don't think you'll find a single Hawthorn fan who thinks Sam Mitchell is a "genius". He's a young coach who was given the responsibility of doing a much-needed rebuild of a shonky Hawthorn list.

Opinions are somewhat divided, but the majority us are behind him and think he is doing a fair-to-decent job. And that's it... The odds are probably against him seeing it all the way through. Not many coaches survive 5+ years down near the bottom. He'll need slice of luck with our recruiting and some radical improvement from a few of the flawed players already on our list. We don't have a lot of "blue chip" talent. But the outlook is looking a hell of a lot better than it was a few months ago.

Sammy's situation is a lot different to the "greatest coach of all time", Chris Scott who was handed the reins of one of the most dominant teams ever and let the Cats players coach themselves to the 2011 flag and then took another 11 years to finally win a flag with a team that was his. Mitchell took over the worst list in the AFL (and I include North). I doubt he'll be given the luxury of 11 years.

As for Kane Cornes, he is super-smart operator who has fashioned a lucrative media career for himself by playing the provocateur, expressing controversial, contrarian opinions and winding up entire fanbases (e.g Richmond). But mainly by catering his content for impressionable, easily-entertained flogs who don't use their brain and hang off his every word. :thumbsu:

For a young team is the value of the learning experience cancelled out by the tragic nature of the loss?

I get that a close loss can be useful for development etc but when it's those sort of circumstances, wonder if overall it's made worse
I think they learn more from the loss than if they had've held on. It was a win win.

Why are you slinging Kane fricken Cornes's opinions at Hawks fans like arrows..?

I don't think you'll find a single Hawthorn fan who thinks Sam Mitchell is a "genius". He's a young coach who was given the responsibility of doing a much-needed rebuild of a shonky Hawthorn list.

Opinions are somewhat divided, but the majority us are behind him and think he is doing a fair-to-decent job. And that's it... The odds are probably against him seeing it all the way through. Not many coaches survive 5+ years down near the bottom. He'll need slice of luck with our recruiting and some radical improvement from a few of the flawed players already on our list. We don't have a lot of "blue chip" talent. But the outlook is looking a hell of a lot better than it was a few months ago.

Sammy's situation is a lot different to the "greatest coach of all time", Chris Scott who was handed the reins of one of the most dominant teams ever and let the Cats players coach themselves to the 2011 flag and then took another 11 years to finally win a flag with a team that was his. Mitchell took over the worst list in the AFL (and I include North). I doubt he'll be given the luxury of 11 years.

As for Kane Cornes, he is super-smart operator who has fashioned a lucrative media career for himself by playing the provocateur, expressing controversial, contrarian opinions and winding up entire fanbases (e.g Richmond). But mainly by catering his content for impressionable, easily-entertained flogs who don't use their brain and hang off his every word. :thumbsu:
Only part I disagree with is that Scott allowed the cats to coach themselves to a flag in 2011. Geelong and Collingwood in 2011 were possibly the two best sides we have seen this century maybe except Essendon of 2000. Either would have the flag in any other year. To beat Collingwood who were pretty much unbeatable that season was no easy feat

You’ve got to be a special kind of deluded to think yesterday was anything but an important step for the team. Went toe to toe with a top team and just came short. Plenty of lessons to be learnt, but nothing but positives.
Toe to toe? Port should've won by 5 goals.

I might even agree with SYL at the end of the year when he says we won 7 games but we should have won xxxx.
We should have, could have, would have, but didn’t. Plenty of learning in that loss.

Meek just had to knock that last centre bounce to his feet and we win. Instead he tried to tap it out to a mid, and was sharked.
I remember McEvoy doing that in an early game when he came across too. Never did it again.

Only part I disagree with is that Scott allowed the cats to coach themselves to a flag in 2011. Geelong and Collingwood in 2011 were possibly the two best sides we have seen this century maybe except Essendon of 2000. Either would have the flag in any other year. To beat Collingwood who were pretty much unbeatable that season was no easy feat
Yep. He worked out 45 degree short kicks to get around our press. We had to put the press away. They wouldn't have won without his coaching.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So now bulldogs ans saints losses aren’t looking quite so bad for them.

Funny how a few points skews the narrative wildly. It shouldn’t.
It's always the case though. If Geelong won by a goal against Melbourne and Port instead of losing by a goal, a 9-0 start would make the Gold Coast game looked at as an aberration. But...they lost them, and the knives come out. How sides do in their close games often defines their seasons.

For a developing team it's less important though. I expected some sort of fade out by Hawthorn, it was just a matter of whether they'd barely hold on or not. It doesn't really change how they are tracking, so long as the players stay mentally durable and the coaches get to work on what they need to fix.

First time watching football?
Nope.

I'm just using the same logic that was given to me in this thread as to why Hawthorn were the better side in round 1 and should've won.

But I assume that doesn't apply to this game now. :)

Nope.

I'm just using the same logic that was given to me in this thread as to why Hawthorn were the better side in round 1 and should've won.

But I assume that doesn't apply to this game now. :)

Enjoy the ride. It’s a great sport once you get past your first couple games.

Upset? We lost a game of footy we should have won. Life moves on. I’m not the one lurking around a Hawthorn thread waiting for an opportunity to troll idiotically 😂.
Using the same logic your fellow Hawk supporters used is trolling idiotically?

Interesting assessment.

Sam Mitchell’s coaching in that final minute 🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢
It was fine. Hawks are not at a stage of their development where they would be wasting too much time preparing for close finishes.

Hawks lost because they are a young team that played three quarters at a manic intensity and then ran out of legs.

That will improve, just like Hawthorns ability to close out games will improve.

Hawks have had a great 5 weeks and need to keep building.

For a young team is the value of the learning experience cancelled out by the tragic nature of the loss?

I get that a close loss can be useful for development etc but when it's those sort of circumstances, wonder if overall it's made worse

I think they will be fine.

Like Sam said in the press conference we've been in 3 close games in a row and won 2/3. Shows we can match it with the best for at least 3 quarters but the next area of growth is going the full 4 quarters.

Sometimes hurt is good. There would have been plenty of lessons.

Back