Debutant
Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
100603_team.gif

Followers: Renouf, Sewell, Burgoyne

Interchange from: Ellis, Ladson, Moss, Muston, Shoenmakers, Shiels, Skipper

In: Bateman, Ladson, Moss, Muston, Schoenmakers, Shiels

Out: Brown (inj), Franklin (susp), Hooper (inj)

taken from the HFC site

Re: Changes & Discussion - Hawks vs Port

Port's Squad:
B: Jacob Surjan, Alipate Carlile, Troy Chaplin
HB:paul Stewart, Chad Cornes, Steven Salopek
C: Jay Nash, Domenic Cassisi, Travis Boak
HF: Matt Thomas, Daniel Stewart, David Rodan
F: Brett Ebert, Jackson Trengove, Tom Logan
R: Dean Brogan, Danyle Pearce, Kane Cornes
Interchange from: Matthew Broadbent, Josh Carr, Jason Davenport, Hamish Hartlett, Daniel Motlop, Danny Meyer, Nick Salter
In: Davenport, Hartlett, D Motlop, Meyer, Brogan
Out: Cameron Hitchcock (shoulder), Justin Westhoff (omitted)

Interesting that Motlop is named on the bench...strange.

I have a bad feeling about this game. Our forward line is dangerously short, complemented with little forward pressure.

Defence looks serviceable, but Port have some big ins and will want to redeem themselves after losing to Richmond.

Battle of the middle imo and having an average ruck is not a good start to that.

Would love to see the Shoe given a chance at Full Fwd.

A good performance could enlighten the coaches on the prospect of trying Rough at CHB when Buddy is back and Rough ain't getting a kick in the fwd line.

Swinging Shoe fwd and Rough back from time to time could be a great option to have in the future. Especially playing the likes of the Saints, Cats and Lions with big bodied fwds.

From the look of that lineup the selection panel must have read the earlier discussion thread.

The team looks fine (well...as good as it can be buddyless) to me, only lacking in the ff line, its a bit much to ask of super-carl to hold down FF, though he may go off like a firecracker nearer to the goals... I'd like to see that! he showed us he can take a speccy.

Of Ellis, Ladson, Moss, Muston, Shoenmakers, Shiels, Skipper
we will probably get:
Skipper, Muston, Shoe (if its dry)/Shiels (if its not..), Ladson (if its dry)/Moss (wet)

Will be surprised if Ellis plays with a bent shnoz..

From the look of that lineup the selection panel must have read the earlier discussion thread.

The team looks fine (well...as good as it can be buddyless) to me, only lacking in the ff line, its a bit much to ask of super-carl to hold down FF, though he may go off like a firecracker nearer to the goals... I'd like to see that! he showed us he can take a speccy.

Of Ellis, Ladson, Moss, Muston, Shoenmakers, Shiels, Skipper
we will probably get:
Skipper, Muston, Shoe (if its dry)/Shiels (if its not..), Ladson (if its dry)/Moss (wet)

Will be surprised if Ellis plays with a bent shnoz..

I reckon Ellis definite, Skipper Definite

most likely going to be Moss- because of the forward line

and Schonmakers- So maybe Hodge will go Forward

They are very tall in the back half and quite good. Roughy is going to have his work cut out this week taking contested marks.

It might pay us to go with the small line up and make sure we force the ball to the ground.

I would like to see the bench:

Skipper, Shiels, Shoenmaker, Ellis.

If X is out with a bent shnoz, then Musto to take his place.

Shoenmaker is a must for height cover

They are very tall in the back half and quite good. Roughy is going to have his work cut out this week taking contested marks.

It might pay us to go with the small line up and make sure we force the ball to the ground.

I would like to see the bench:

Skipper, Shiels, Shoenmaker, Ellis.

If X is out with a bent shnoz, then Musto to take his place.

Shoenmaker is a must for height cover
second that, no way is Laddo ready to return. Musto can do a defencive or midfield job if Ellis doesn't come up, Moss is a one trick pony and to slow IMO. I am very confident about this week, Port may have a point to prove, so what....we aren't here to make up the numbers, we are on our home track and should have them covered.

second that, no way is Laddo ready to return. Musto can do a defencive or midfield job if Ellis doesn't come up, Moss is a one trick pony and to slow IMO. I am very confident about this week, Port may have a point to prove, so what....we aren't here to make up the numbers, we are on our home track and should have them covered.

I'm actually quite confidant too, we seem to have gained the winning feeling back, Port may come out wanting to prove a point but so do the Hawks we lost to them at the G last year, if we lose I will be devistated with or without Buddy we are still a much better side and now it's about time we show it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon had port been able to go the didtance like sydney did, they have the smarst to get over the line.

We need to bury them early. They are a bogey team for us

Couple of points.
* Berger knows all their plays and players backwards so hopefully we know exactly what they plan. Most clubs now know what each other plans are but to have someone from the inner circle just gives us a bit more knowledge (like Viney at Adelaide).
* Hodge could hardly walk last week. Will he come up. It will take amputation to stop him declaring himself fit but should he be overruled if he was in the state he was in last week (who would volunteer to overrule him). Any training reports on Hodge?
* Lets hope for a big one from Roughie
* We know we'll be able to tell in the first 10 mins if the hawks are up and about for the game (like the Carlton game, I'd nearly forgotten what that feeling was like).
Port are a bit the same. They can jump out of the box and be front-running and hard to slow down before they have a winning break. They also have a massive point to prove after last weeks disgrace.
It might be worth being very defensive for the first 10 minutes to let them get that out of their system and then hit them on the counter attack when they easy off after a massive opening. Then again if we can match their opening intensity and then break away by a few goals by quarter time then they will have trouble picking themselves up and getting back the momentum. Front running teams can be like that - break their spirit and the game is won.

I hope the past two weeks have taken a toll on the Port players. They played Melb in Darwin followed by Rich at a soaked Footy Park.

I've often wondered about that; will two tough games give them leaden feet or will playing in the extremes give them better conditioning to run out a game played on a decent surface at a cool temperature?

I think the mental impact of losing to the Tigers could be seen the same way, either they will have lost all confidence and will give up without a whimper - or they will come out fired up and play like men possessed.

Stuffed if i know, which is what makes footy interesting.

We have not beaten Port at the MCG in 10 years and only 2 of the last 12 times we have played them :eek:.

We are due.

C'mon boys this mob has had it over us for ages let's get one back.

Seriously guys who will kick their goals???? Motlop maybe a few but who else.
Let them worry about Peterson, Rough, Rioli, Burgoyne, Ossie etc...

If we lose to Port its bye bye 2010 in my book.

They have lost to Melb and Rich in last 2 weeks, would be an embarrassing loss regardless of our outs!!!!

Re: Changes & Discussion - Hawks vs Port

Port's Squad:
B: Jacob Surjan, Alipate Carlile, Troy Chaplin
HB:paul Stewart, Chad Cornes, Steven Salopek
C: Jay Nash, Domenic Cassisi, Travis Boak
HF: Matt Thomas, Daniel Stewart, David Rodan
F: Brett Ebert, Jackson Trengove, Tom Logan
R: Dean Brogan, Danyle Pearce, Kane Cornes
Interchange from: Matthew Broadbent, Josh Carr, Jason Davenport, Hamish Hartlett, Daniel Motlop, Danny Meyer, Nick Salter
In: Davenport, Hartlett, D Motlop, Meyer, Brogan
Out: Cameron Hitchcock (shoulder), Justin Westhoff (omitted)

Interesting that Motlop is named on the bench...strange.

Probably because his attitude and form this year has been deplorable.

Seriously guys who will kick their goals???? Motlop maybe a few but who else.
Let them worry about Peterson, Rough, Rioli, Burgoyne, Ossie etc...

If we lose to Port its bye bye 2010 in my book.

They have lost to Melb and Rich in last 2 weeks, would be an embarrassing loss regardless of our outs!!!!

thats the discussion we have on the port threads too...who will kick our goals

hope u dont mind my posting here.

if u lose to us yes your season is shot. truly, you can't. we have no forwards and the worse forwards coach in Oz in Jason Cripps.

all you need to do to beat us is run to space, run in a group with the ball carrier and try harder. we give up too easily. just try harder.

worried? maybe Rioli, not roughhead- VERY sad lance got busted- talk about AFL shame. how he got rubbed out for any of them i'll never know

why here? im not a traitor, just sick of our coach and lazy players and want choco gone. plus enjoy a discussion

tactics; you have guerra gilham burgoyne and clarkson, um, yeah, i think youhave more than just burgoyne for inside info- to that comment

rebound factor: Har!!! PAFC..Pride? LMAO. Nope, the last 3 losses are not enough for us to feel cranky and want to prove a point. we've been drawing lines in the sand for 4 years now, this is nothign new, our players are now mentally damaged. don't worry about us losing and wanting to prove something. just try harder for longer to beat us.

Our concern is we are playing brogan with no ruck support. we have a kid in Lobbe we desperately need to get game time into. what we are doing is thrashing this kid Trengove (watch him, he's going to be outstanding player- he is one of the top 4 in this years rookies for mine he's under the media radar cos the media dont go to adelaide or perth unless its a hartwarming story like barlow. he could end up being anything...) as a back up ruck.

anyway we've dropped westhoff finally after 6 good games in 3 years
we dropped schultz- a dud anyway - finally
tredrea is injured
motlop is lazy and tries to overdo it, so he's not to worry- but he will kick 3
tommy logan can't kick straight forget about him
hitchcock might have pinched 4 goals but he's out
robbie gray if he were in victoria would be a star but he's out

most pAFC fans have been desperate for Nick Salter (#19) to get a game for 2 years. so expect choco not to name him now that westhoff tredrea and schultz are out and we need some talls

we have he and Stewart a rookie upgrade who we have great hope in, but despite salter kicking bags in the SANFL choco wont play him or wants him for a defender as he plays Salopek and Krak back there- and they are NOT defenders. if Krak is kicking it in its a good sign for you. pressur htem 2 and they crumble

so IF Salter plays he will sit on the pine or be sent back. so dont expect goals from him. thus where can the goals come from???!!!

so daniel stewart with 1 afl game is it for us, plus motlop (good for 3) and ebert (who misses to the left anyway IF he holds his marks)

so choco is going to try to shut the game down and u watch we'll drag our forwards up into the square and hope to get the long ball into 1 on 1s and have davenport and chaplin (watch him for 3 insde 50's) and boak and pearce run it into 50.

so it will be a game of your rolling zone (if u still do that vs our players beating it cos its old news)

last year you lost that game at MCG because clarkson got outcoached and he stuck to that zone like a zealot and we overlapped your players guarding their patch of grass. i can't see him making thatmistake twice. we were cacking ourselves in the stand watching it we still cant believe he didnt adjust it. anyway. both our seasons were bad last year my team can't laugh

so expect that in this game by the 3rd q we will come out and adjust to any clarkson adjustments (we are 4 goals too slow to reply so you can get 2 lots of 4 goals on us), so i put this game down to a close finish in the 4th q

so who will win? i'll tell you now, its really simple

watch danyle pearce. if he is given space we will win

watch rodan. if he gets space we might

watch our goal kicking. if we are accurate we'll win

players to respect and appreciate

Defender Paul Stewart- #14, really stepped up this year, does good shut down jobs

Surjan- under respected

anyway, hope its a good game and those players we each want to perform get a good game into them

cheers

I hope the ins are Muston & Shoenmakers. You'd have to think Skipper and Bateman are certainties…

We are always going to be vulnerable with Franklin not in the side. He is our most important player. He gets double and tripled team which frees up other players. If he played round 22 last year the Hawks beat the Bombers and make the finals. We need him in every game. He's too critical. (Hodge is a very close second.)

Yes, lose and we are gone. We have to win 8 out of the next 12 games to make the finals. Last week we were just OK but wasted opportunties. My concern was that we faded out again in the last quarter. What is going on? Serve up the same performance and PA are in with a big chance.

I hope the ins are Muston & Shoenmakers. You'd have to think Skipper and Bateman are certainties…

We are always going to be vulnerable with Franklin not in the side. He is our most important player. He gets double and tripled team which frees up other players. If he played round 22 last year the Hawks beat the Bombers and make the finals. We need him in every game. He's too critical. (Hodge is a very close second.)

Yes, lose and we are gone. We have to win 8 out of the next 12 games to make the finals. Last week we were just OK but wasted opportunties. My concern was that we faded out again in the last quarter. What is going on? Serve up the same performance and PA are in with a big chance.

Well actually we did not fade in the last quarter, we kicked 3-6 Swans kicked 5-3 so in actual fact we had more shots at goal but couldn't convert.
Only reason why lost the last quarter is because of our inacuracy.
I don't know why every one keeps saying we shouldn't of won I was at the game and watched every second and what I got out of the game was that we are definately on the right track back for 2010.

MacDaddio: I watched the game on TV and the last 15 mins was all the Swans. Sans a few key touches by Rioli in the last couple of minutes and we lose.

Inaccurate kicking or not, the bottom line is that we were outscored again in the final quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back