Hawthorn vs Geelong MCG- Saturday July 20th 2019 - Edited Page 18 current discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Our best player this year has probably been Scully. Has to be A grade
Not sure if you're taking the piss, but given you think the 6-6-6 rule is adapted at every stoppage around the ground I don't think you are.

Not sure if you're taking the piss, but given you think the 6-6-6 rule is adapted at every stoppage around the ground I don't think you are.

Not as much as you are with Selwood and Co. in category B.

And H2F, Henderson and McEvoy have been our best this year alongside O'Meara, Sicily and Worpel. Scully is improving every game though.

Not as much as you are with Selwood and Co. in category B.

And H2F, Henderson and McEvoy have been our best this year alongside O'Meara, Sicily and Worpel. Scully is improving every game though.
Selwood isn't the player he was and has slowed down considerably to the point that his awareness and reflexes have waned that we often see him now rushing his kicking and making fundamental errors. He also can't get into position fast enough because his body won't allow it.

Kelly's foot skills under pressure let him down. He can find the ball, win clearances and break free, but it's his footskills that are preventing him from going to the next level.

Ablett is no longer A grade but that's expected from someone who turns 35 this year. He's being forced to play predominantly and outside game from half forward because he's lost a yard of pace and can no longer break free at stoppages on a consistent basis.

McEvoy has never been A grade. Good ruckman but a class below the elite.

Stratton, whilst being underrated, doesn't have some of the tricks that other key backs do that put him in the A grade category. Blicavs, whilst being a duel B&F and being a reasonable defender drops down a level or so below because he's awful with ball in hand and makes too many school yard errors. He lacks smarts.

Who did I miss?

It's your prerogative who you rate where, but I guess I rate them differently.

At the end of the day there really isn't any right or wrong.

Geelong have started well this season, have adopted quickly and well to some of the new rule changes and found a couple of good youngsters.

Still think Hawks have got enough quality players to do some damage however the last 3 weeks have been average and can’t play well for more than 2 qtrs of footy. Hawks defensive structures and pressure has been good this year but once we get the ball not willing to take the game on and too many simple skill errors. Hopefully the players and game plan will start to click. 4 weeks into the season surely it’s this week!🤞

The Hawkers are a constant thorn in Macpotata's side. Bloody good bunch that mob from Glenferrie. Always give us a hard fight and scalped us twice last year. Footy's a funny game and the season is up and down. Wouldn't be surprised to see a form reversal once more and they knock us off. Even the Crows might flip the script as they host Gold Coast today and could upstage the Saints next week. As for tomorrow's game I was confident but not so sure now. Anyway a bumper crowd expected as always on Easter Monday and it's going to be a wonderful occasion. Just one rest day then round 6 rolls on with the Wednesday night ANZAC Eve clash between Melbourne and Richmond with games all the way through to Sunday, next Sunday:)

* good time of the footy calendar.

Clarkson, the king of spin saying if the Hawks are not strong enough and tough enough Geelong will run over the top. He is raised on foxes milk the cunning hawker trying get the cats believing it will be a walk in the park. he is fooking good the wily old fox.
The thing is Geelong will go into the game believing it.

This is the game Clarkson realises his time at Hawthorn is over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awesome game. It has arrived.

Hawks started well but the two late goals to Rohan hurt the hawkers on the cusp of qtr time. Hawkins should have hurt them further with another goal going into the main break, again after the siren which would have been another dagger to Hawthorns spirit. Costly miss and keeps them breathing.

Earlier on and a poor turnover in the middle and potentially a two goal swing as the Hawks were moving the ball forward. Stanley goalled making it 12 the difference, potentially it could have been even. Good contest and both teams up for the fight.

It's amazing how all of last week Hawthorn 'supporters' were going on about how in game injuries ruined them, despite only having one more injured than St Kilda. Fast forward a week, Geelong lose a player at half time, Hawthorn lose, not a word of it....

Bump.

Keeping up the great tradition between these clubs. Some good highlights in here.

Ablett is no longer A grade but that's expected from someone who turns 35 this year. He's being forced to play predominantly and outside game from half forward because he's lost a yard of pace and can no longer break free at stoppages on a consistent basis.

McEvoy has never been A grade. Good ruckman but a class below the elite.

Stratton, whilst being underrated, doesn't have some of the tricks that other key backs do that put him in the A grade category. Blicavs, whilst being a duel B&F and being a reasonable defender drops down a level or so below because he's awful with ball in hand and makes too many school yard errors. He lacks smarts.

I think Ablett is still A grade and would be a walk up starter into any team as of right now.
He still doesn't make any mistakes like your B graders are prone to. His kicking is elite. Not penetrating but he cuts you to pieces making the right decisions time and time again. He's dropped away in recent times but that is attributed to the crazy level of excellence he was playing at for many, many years.

McEvoy is an A grade ruckman.
Todd Goldstein, Max Gawn, Nic Naitanui, Ben McEvoy, Brodie Grundy I'd have as A graders.
You then have another batch just below like Bellchambers, Ryder, Kreuzer, Martin, Jacobs etc.

Ben Stratton is a much better footballer than Mark Blicavs. Some of his shut down roles in finals throughout the years have been as good as it gets.
Probably no longer A grade due to injuries taking their toll but a damn good defender and one whom I have no qualms suggesting will beat his direct opponent tomorrow against us at the MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back