Hawthorn vs Geelong MCG- Saturday July 20th 2019 - Edited Page 18 current discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS beat us with clean centre clearances and good ball use. If Hawks are allowed to do the same, then we're in big trouble. If we drop this we have another good disposal team in West Coast the week after and all of a sudden, we could be 3-3 and back in the pack.

The key difference between our teams I would say, is not the injuries, but the lack of development of talented youngsters. Worpel will be a future B+F for your club, Cousins and Hardwick look good and Scrimshaw, Morrison, Brand and Miles all show promise, but outside of that, it's all the older blokes carrying the team.

It will always be a good game between our two teams, and despite our rivalry, there's always a lot of begrudging respect between respective fans and clubs. I do think, however, that it's not your injuries that are the biggest issue this year, but your lack of depth to cover them when they occur, due to a lack of focus on the draft in the past 5 years (admittedly we were the same, but we cleaned it up in 2016 after our 9th placed finish in 2015)

Well that sort of fits in a time frame sense; you were winning flags 07 - 011 then slid down to decide to replenish in 2016; we were winning 2013 - 15 so are in that same down slide phase.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't care who wins this game but would love to see another close one between these two teams. Think Geelong will be too strong though.
Respective teams

A graders

Hawthorn:

Sicily
Gunston
Breust
O'Meara
Clarkson

Geelong:

Stewart
Dangerfield
Hawkins

B

Hawthorn:

Stratton
Smith
Wingard
McEvoy

Geelong:

Sewlood
Kelly
Ablett
Duncan
Menegola

C

Hawthorn:

Hardwick
Scully
Henderson
Roughead
Worpel

Geelong:

Blicavs
Parfitt
Stanley
Dahlhaus
Rohan
Scott

D

Hawthorn:

Impey
Puopolo
Scrimshaw

Geelong:

Henry
Kolodjashnij
Taylor
Guthrie

E

Hawthorn:

Nash
Brand
Morrison
Mirra
Ceglar

Geelong:

Miers
Atkins
Ratugolea
O'Connor
Clark

Pretty even I'd have thought in both regards to top end talent and bottom end talent. Of course those ratings are open to interpretation but it's simply my opinion being used as a guide.

The game will be decided by the 10 players from either team selected in group E.

Hawthorn have the master coach Geelong have one who is rigid.

Hawthorn should win this by 3 goals and I expect it to be close.

The reason I feel confident is Clarkson has been hammering at the 6/6/6 thing and it's cost us but I reckon he's figured it out now and we are about to see his first crack at how to get an advantage there.

I love how he is prepared to go at something (even if it costs games) to learn and I have this feeling he has learnt a bit in the two disappointing losses we had.

The give-away for me is change in selections in terms of player types. Go Clarko you freaking legend. Hope I'm right, but who knows.

Respective teams

A graders

Hawthorn:

Sicily
Gunston
Breust
O'Meara
Clarkson

Geelong:

Stewart
Dangerfield
Hawkins

B

Hawthorn:

Stratton
Smith
Wingard
McEvoy

Geelong:

Sewlood
Kelly
Ablett
Duncan
Menegola

C

Hawthorn:

Hardwick
Scully
Henderson
Roughead
Worpel

Geelong:

Blicavs
Parfitt
Stanley
Dahlhaus
Rohan
Scott

D

Hawthorn:

Impey
Puopolo
Scrimshaw

Geelong:

Henry
Kolodjashnij
Taylor
Guthrie

E

Hawthorn:

Nash
Brand
Morrison
Mirra
Ceglar

Geelong:

Miers
Atkins
Ratugolea
O'Connor
Clark

Pretty even I'd have thought in both regards to top end talent and bottom end talent. Of course those ratings are open to interpretation but it's simply my opinion being used as a guide.

The game will be decided by the 10 players from either team selected in group E.

Hawthorn have the master coach Geelong have one who is rigid.

Hawthorn should win this by 3 goals and I expect it to be close.
Smith, Stratton, McEvoy, Ablett, Kelly, Duncan all B graders???????

Remove this Banner Ad

Back