List Mgmt. Hayden Crozier [Traded to WB]

Remove this Banner Ad

What a poor trade, suppose its all the best because under Ross he would never achieve his potential.

What is astounding is that Matera is to replace him when his a notoriously known for poor defensive work and well lazy work ethic. His surname got him a gig in the AFL if you ask me.
Would you prefer to see him walk for nothing in the pre-season draft? Once he decides to go its do a deal or get nothing.
I'd like to know, however, why we didn't match the WB offer. We rated him well enough to offer two years but not three. Why?
Also, why bother with this year's #82 and next year's 4th rounder? It seems like a bit of a pointless exercise for both us and WB.

Would you prefer to see him walk for nothing in the pre-season draft? Once he decides to go its do a deal or get nothing.
I'd like to know, however, why we didn't match the WB offer. We rated him well enough to offer two years but not three. Why?
Also, why bother with this year's #82 and next year's 4th rounder? It seems like a bit of a pointless exercise for both us and WB.
I could’ve wrong but I think he’s on holiday with Hammer and Kersten and even if we matched the Bulldogs offer, he might’ve left anyway after talking with them. The latest article on the Freo website is how happy Hammer is and how it was absolutely the right decision; he gets to see his family everyday, closer to his friends and in his home state. The stuff away from football is a big factor.

Crozier, Crozier....

Was drafted for a set of skills that were inconsistently shown in his playing career for us, making him having to resort to being another role player in Lyon's system when he did get the call up. Over the years he really was only getting games because of injuries and even then he was average depth. There was never really much desire or initiative from him to take that next step or even warrant half his selection Pre-2017. If I'm being honest - 2017 was probably his best year in terms of consistency so it's sad to see him go now after so much development and waiting for this serviceable form.

Offered 2 years by us but I think he knew he was going to fizzle out of the Best 22 and be depth eventually, was becoming borderline B22 towards the end of the season anyways. I think getting 3 years and more insurance of playing for the Bulldogs is probably the best thing that could happen for both parties. I can definitely see him being a bigger piece to the puzzle for Bulldogs' list than ours.

I wish him the best in the rest of his playing career.

Crozier's kicking was super disappointing this year. Both goal and field kicking.
Still better than Wellers IMO and especially when coming out of the back half last year compared to Lachie this year.

Goal kicking looked like the yips to me which can happen to any player regardless of how good of a kick they are.

Crozier, Crozier....

Was drafted for a set of skills that were inconsistently shown in his playing career for us, making him having to resort to being another role player in Lyon's system when he did get the call up. Over the years he really was only getting games because of injuries and even then he was average depth. There was never really much desire or initiative from him to take that next step or even warrant half his selection Pre-2017. If I'm being honest - 2017 was probably his best year in terms of consistency so it's sad to see him go now after so much development and waiting for this serviceable form.

Offered 2 years by us but I think he knew he was going to fizzle out of the Best 22 and be depth eventually, was becoming borderline B22 towards the end of the season anyways. I think getting 3 years and more insurance of playing for the Bulldogs is probably the best thing that could happen for both parties. I can definitely see him being a bigger piece to the puzzle for Bulldogs' list than ours.

I wish him the best in the rest of his playing career.
Hopefully can reach the upper echelons of vanilla

Still better than Wellers IMO and especially when coming out of the back half last year compared to Lachie this year.

Goal kicking looked like the yips to me which can happen to any player regardless of how good of a kick they are.
Crozier > Weller as far as half back goes.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why , can't even compare ?
Croz play HB in 2016 and Weller in 2017 and other team in the competition improve in different area also .
Croz disposed of the ball more efficiently. He read the play better, intercepted the ball and didn't get exposed like Weller did in defense. They really should've swapped roles.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Howdy folks, Cheers for the well wishes on our board, much like the Port boys with Trengove. it is good to see...but not overly surprising, we have had a couple very welcome Freo boys post on our boards over the years. As you know, not all trades are so pleasant... ahem...

This trade was clearly a square up for Hamling going to you for slight unders. Great to see the Hammer really enjoying his footy back home. Hope our pick 40 serves you well, we wouldn't have used it, and the 4th next year is handy points for us regarding F/S Rylee West next year, so again a good will pick on your part.

As to how Croz will fair at the dogs... who knows, but one can imagine he might be encouraged to express himself as the others at the dogs have been encouraged. It might be hard playing under Ross if you have flair, but it is also hard playing under Bevo who pushes versatility and flair to breaking point. Very different set of game requirements to be met by Croz under Bevo, he may take like a duck to water, or may need a year to settle in. Ross and Bevo may be Apples and Oranges game styles... but it all comes to naught if Croz is a Pear.

We are hoping he turns out an Orange.. or Mandarin at worst :D

Howdy folks, Cheers for the well wishes on our board, much like the Port boys with Trengove. it is good to see...but not overly surprising, we have had a couple very welcome Freo boys post on our boards over the years. As you know, not all trades are so pleasant... ahem...

This trade was clearly a square up for Hamling going to you for slight unders. Great to see the Hammer really enjoying his footy back home. Hope our pick 40 serves you well, we wouldn't have used it, and the 4th next year is handy points for us regarding F/S Rylee West next year, so again a good will pick on your part.

As to how Croz will fair at the dogs... who knows, but one can imagine he might be encouraged to express himself as the others at the dogs have been encouraged. It might be hard playing under Ross if you have flair, but it is also hard playing under Bevo who pushes versatility and flair to breaking point. Very different set of game requirements to be met by Croz under Bevo, he may take like a duck to water, or may need a year to settle in. Ross and Bevo may be Apples and Oranges game styles... but it all comes to naught if Croz is a Pear.

We are hoping he turns out an Orange.. or Mandarin at worst :D

I think you're spot on re: his playing style - he often seemed a little bit out of place in the side for some reason... in retrospect, maybe the only thing he was missing, was his home.

For my money, Hayden plays best when running on pure instinct, rather than following set structures and rigid roles - At his best, he is very damaging. There's no denying he has enough skill and drive to be a far better payer than he currently is, so I suspect he'll be a far better player under Bev, than he ever was with Ross . . I sincerely wish him all the best.

Will go down as a massive mistake this.

Our defence leaks, our defence lacks class ball users and has one intercepter who is on the way out.

Crozier's time at half back was excellent, he read the play well, made good decisions and his field kicking was excellent.

Defensively, thought he was sound, only really got towelled up if he engaged in a wrestle, but rarely did.

Will say this right now, Wilson is a devastating line breaker - but he is a dreadful defensive player. Rarely intercepts in flight and gets shown up in one on one contests.

Give him the ball and he'll slice a side up, sit on him, play through him and it may be another JJ on our hands - we shall see.

For me, a terrible trade, Croz had a patch at half back where he looked like an elite half back, in that stretch the Dogs identified that role and I dare say he'll flourish in a system where he is encouraged to be assertive in defence.

Between the extensions for Johnson/Ballantyne, wanting to bring in Matera - I'm feeling a little uneasy with our football department.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I certainly never saw anything from Crozier which suggested elite half back. He had a reasonable run in 2016 but didn’t dominate in defending/intercepting like we saw from Ryan this year and also didn’t create and distribute anywhere to the level of Wilson. So I think he was depth for us given the ins we have in our best 22 - and getting a useable pick for him to try and further improve the long term B22 thus makes sense.

He also has a free hit at trying to make either Murphy or Boyd’s spot his own. Win/win which is what good trading is all about.

Our defence leaks, our defence lacks class ball users and has one intercepter who is on the way out.

Crozier's time at half back was excellent, he read the play well, made good decisions and his field kicking was excellent.

Defensively, thought he was sound, only really got towelled up if he engaged in a wrestle, but rarely did.

Will say this right now, Wilson is a devastating line breaker - but he is a dreadful defensive player. Rarely intercepts in flight and gets shown up in one on one contests.

Give him the ball and he'll slice a side up, sit on him, play through him and it may be another JJ on our hands - we shall see.

For me, a terrible trade, Croz had a patch at half back where he looked like an elite half back, in that stretch the Dogs identified that role and I dare say he'll flourish in a system where he is encouraged to be assertive in defence.

Between the extensions for Johnson/Ballantyne, wanting to bring in Matera - I'm feeling a little uneasy with our football department.

To be fair I doubt it was our choice to trade him. He received a better contract offer elsewhere and asked to be traded. At that point there's not a lot we can do except try and get the best pick possible in return.

That said we definitely could have managed him better as a player while he was with us. Was one of our most subbed players and was never allowed to settle into a position in 6 years.

To be fair I doubt it was our choice to trade him. He received a better contract offer elsewhere and asked to be traded. At that point there's not a lot we can do except try and get the best pick possible in return.

That said we definitely could have managed him better as a player while he was with us. Was one of our most subbed players and was never allowed to settle into a position in 6 years.
That's bullshit. He's had heaps of opportunities but his biggest problem was always consistency. He strings together two or three really good games then he goes missing. That's been his playing pattern since he joined the club.

That's bullshit. He's had heaps of opportunities but his biggest problem was always consistency. He strings together two or three really good games then he goes missing. That's been his playing pattern since he joined the club.
And on top of this, he was tried in different positions and never really ‘held down’ his spot in best 22. Sure he played a lot of games the last couple of seasons but we were extremely poor.

Crozier is a could be. It was a poor draft decision at the time. He took that spectacular mark, but they do not win you matches.

To say I am happy to get pick 40 with another swap of trades would be a lie, but I am fairly neutral as I do not see him as even having a real position for us. He has x factor no doubt, but meh. If players want to return home there is not much you can do, and if we land Wilson then awesome. Also Matera is a definite upgrade on Crozier. Although I have my reservations on Matera, there is no doubt with Walters player more midfield, if we get him for the 40, then that would be a win.

If Croz wanted to go home it is not a "mistake" - we can't force him to stay and of all clubs we should be the most sympathetic to that request given our recent trading. The only way to get him to stay would be to overpay and he hasn't been consistent enough to warrant that.

I agree that he played well at HB but Ryan is already better there. Better mark, better kick and better defensively. Defenses are a unit as well and Wilson will play his role. No doubt in my mind and I am sure plenty of others that we have significant room for improvement in ball movement from the back half.

Finally re Johnson and Ballantyne surely you can see that moving on ALL of your elder players is not a good idea? First of all we don't have any picks to replace them with and second you do need some leadership on and off field. Those two in particular are the only players with more than 80 games experience in their lines.

And on top of this, he was tried in different positions and never really ‘held down’ his spot in best 22. Sure he played a lot of games the last couple of seasons but we were extremely poor.

With any luck for him this change will work out like it did for Menegola in reviving his career, but he’s had every opportunity to do it with us first.

Last edited:
With any luck for him this change will work out like it did for Menegola in reviving his career, but he’s had every opportunity to do it at with us first.
Croz and Freo were not meant for Each other , same situation with Balic with different circumstances.

That’s funny, I don’t seem to remember Crozier taking the game on and dominating a game with Peel let alone Fremantle.

Did I miss something, or are some people overrating our players’ past performances after they have left the club again?

His 'Get excited' video says it all; has a couple of fairly basic goals from his really early days, lead up double-clutch marks coming out of defence, one or two tackles. Trade was about right IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back