Here's an Idea!

Remove this Banner Ad

Play a forward line!

Bit radical I know but we could play Sav as a leading forward out of the goal square,Diggers and/or Watt around the CHF area and a Motlop or two or Grant or Harding as swooping crumb gathering opportunist half forward/ pockets. Am I crazy or could this just about work?

This might sound a touch contrived, but in some ways i reckon Pagan is trying to single handedly beat flooding. Hear me out.

Pagan has been one of the strongest voices in regards to the rule makers staying out of the perceived flooding problem and has repeatedly said that the better coaches will find a way around it. Now by playing very few set forwards, ostensibly you're trying to create numbers in the midfield and at half back where the ball is often won and lost. That forces the opposition to either man up, thus clearing our forward line, or flood and risk being outnumbered in the hotspots. The flow-on from that is that we have numbers to run it through and players pushing hard into the intended space where the inevitable quick, long ball goes.

The obvious problem right now is that we dont have enough blokes working hard enough to create the option up forward and our perceived bigger numbers in the midfield aren't supporting eachother or running to smart positon. Because of this, opposition teams can raffle it under little pressure at our half forward line and push it wide of our midfielders who inevtaibly are gathered in the corridor. And because our accountability and manning up isn't what it once was, and we are so often exposed for lack of leg speed in the middle and particularly in the backline, we're often caught out of position and susceptable to teams with hard leading half forwards and skillful ball deliverers.

I heard Denis on Sportworld or whatever it called now on Channel 7 before Rex's brothel yesterday, and he was saying how teams who over possess are prone to flooding whereas teams who kick long and use the ball efficiently will overcome the problem. Nice theory, but it helps to have someone to kick it long to and blokes who can use the thing!!

Well if thats is the case Carlos.. then I think we need at least some type of forward structure.. and we need a midfield structure.. (A midfield structure you say!?!)

What I mean is, we need our midfielders to kind of work in groups.. so just say Simmo got the ball from defence.. but was being chased.. he should run with another guy(Or the other guy should jog close behind maybe..) (Boomer for example) and Boomer should shepard (do our boys know what that means?) then Simmo should give the ball off to Boomer.. who should ACCELERATE (You know boys go quicker) and Simmo can shepard for him(The guy who Boomer originally sheparded for Simmo).. and Simmo should then run ahead of Boomer.. or to a wing(Or to an opposition player with no opponent).. and Boomer and Simmo after a little tactic like that should be able to get to the forward line.. or at least get the ball there without bombing long.. Boomer should be able to kick the ball 25/30 metres(I dont call that bombing) and it get into the forward line.. where there should be a player (In our Forward structure) running round trying to make space or leading.... and with every tall in the forward line there should be a small.. so thats 2 smalls for 2 talls- and the other 2 smalls should be close by.. but not right at hte talls feet.. maybe closer to the goals.. but where ever they are, they should be with there opponent)

Meanwhile Shagga and Stevo should be with there opponents.. Boomer should have returned to his.. and Simmo should be somewhere with an opponent.. so if theres a turnover.. there is no1 free to run the ball up the wing..

And down back it is essential everyone mans up.. and when there is a pack someone should hang out the back of the pack (even if his opponent goes in) and wait for any ball that may come out, now I would nominate Kingy, coz he can kick and he can run from the backline to the forward line.. and assumin he looks for someone to kick to and kicks accurately.. he could even kick it down to the midfield- where the receiving midfielder should be ready to run off.. or handball off to another player who can get the ball to the forward line SAFELY!)

And Pagan should allow a bit of freedom for creative play (as long as it gets good results)

See that kind of gameplan is all about teamwork, manning up, some hard running and a bit of space..

Add some creativity and Whola!

Go Roos

That makes a lot of sense Carlos.

That would certainly account for the fact that we are inevitably more prone to being a part of a shoot out than a flood.

Simply put, from the centre bounce and rebounds out of our defense, long bombs will prevent the opposition the opportunity to flood. Is it then simply a case that we are lacking quality forwards to bring it to ground ? And as such quality forward / crumbers to sweep through the forward line.

Is maybe Denis now working on a modified version of the paddock that sees Rocca and maybe Morell wide of the CHF position with our midfielders pushing down the spine ? Hence last week with our midfielders being caught in a huddle in the middle.

Are we actually suffering a bit from having midfielders with a perceived lack of leg speed.

Will Shane Clayton therefore kick a hundred goals and become an all time hero of the club ? ( Don't actually know why I said that)

If this be the case then we would see that Leigh Harding and Corey Jones will play important roles in the future.

No one on our team knows how to kick except for Big Sav so why not play him in the centre. Burton taps it to him and Sav has shots at goal.
80 meter goal for Sav ? Not a problem

Ok ok back to reality.

Actually i think we should kick it shorter to a man and hit him on the chest. It's embarrassing watching these long kicks to the forward line to a player who has 2 sometimes 3 backmen to contend with.
Hawthorn chip the ball around a lot maybe even a bit too much but the result is they don't give up possesion easy by kicking to an outnumbered player.
The long bombing must stop now.
Carey can't mark it from Wagga.

tashis idea

tashi your idea of the players running down the ground is not a bad idea, but we must remember that there are more players to our team than simmo, grant, boomer and stevens...

the flankers forwards and backline must all put in the main down fall is the forwardline we have been shut down to often and this must be fixed

Originally posted by King Corey
tashi have you been staying with the Malthouses lately? Where is all this coming from? :)

Is this comment a good one or a bad one?

Yeah Mick there is, but the midfield would turn out the most important part.. all the other players would play a part, the defenders would defend, like there meant to- and even pick up a spare player that a midfielder might leave behind, the forwards would help eachother/look for space to lead into.. and the midfielders would deliver.

Go Roos

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by KingyOrTheKing
Just a question, why wouldnt it work? Are there rules against it? I mean, it would look bl**dy stupid, but wouldnt it work?:D

I thought about this years ago. I assume that as long as the players were within 5 metres of the ball so that the shepherding rule came into play, then it would be OK. Theoretically, you could do it.

The only problem would be getting all the players in your team down to the backline for the goal kick out (as I assume this is the only time that you could organise it without getting tackled!) before the umpire told the player to kick out!

I'd love to see it, even if it didn't work! Or if it did, it would mean any behind kicked would result in a certain goal and 5 point turnaround!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back