Prediction Hindsight Heroes - your 2021 draft selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, sitting back after the draft has completed, my hindsight picks:

12. Hobbs - he's a gun inside mid that slid to us. Back ourselves in, take him forget the trade down.
31. Draper - I really like Hough, happy we got him, but feel that Draper is very classy and versatile. Was torn between picking Bazzo here as I really rate him!
37. Bazzo - amazing how junior KPD's get under rated. Look at Barrass dropping his draft year.
57. Rogers - really rate Bailey Rogers as a goal kicking mid. Happy with Jack Williams though, I think he's got a lot of good traits and size
72. Fejo Jr - a bit of a NT razzle speccy pick, why not. Just lost Cameron, nice replacement.

I'm going to go with a mixture of what I want, the very little i've heard and what is realistic.

10. Johnson (unless Hobbs is there)
29. Bazzo (Tom Brown if Bazzo is gone)
35. Hough (not who I would pick but it's who I see west coast taking)
68. Greg Clark (this is based on gut feel although I would prefer Bailey Rogers)
Rookie. Strnadica

Once all the picks are actually done i'll post my list of who I would have picked knowing who was taken by other clubs and then in 4 years we can all see if any of us know our s**t or not.
I’m not having a dig, just researching a bit.
You had us taking Johnson over Hobbs, we took Chesser and got another 2nd round draft pick.
Hough looks to be a brilliant pick, one you weren’t keen on.
You don’t seem to rate Ginbey. I’m certainly hope you’ve misjudged that one.
For what it’s worth I had convinced myself years ago, that Tom Swift was set to be our saviour, I didn’t quite get that one right😀

I’m not having a dig, just researching a bit.
You had us taking Johnson over Hobbs, we took Chesser and got another 2nd round draft pick.
Hough looks to be a brilliant pick, one you weren’t keen on.
You don’t seem to rate Ginbey. I’m certainly hope you’ve misjudged that one.
For what it’s worth I had convinced myself years ago, that Tom Swift was set to be our saviour, I didn’t quite get that one right😀

Look at the picks. 4/5 right doing some part time scouting for the club in the SW. I think I did ok. Just because Hough isn't who I would have picked doesn't mean I didnt rate him.

Just remember in these instances i've been watching Hough, Ginbey etc before they even made it to WAFL colts.

Looking back what would have been the better decision with our first pick?

Hobbs
Sinn
Chesser + Burgiel
Johnson + Burgiel

Hobbs appears to have had the best first season by far, but Johnson and Chesser have been injured. Plus who knows how Burgiel will turn out.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looking back what would have been the better decision with our first pick?

Hobbs
Sinn
Chesser + Burgiel
Johnson + Burgiel

Hobbs appears to have had the best first season by far, but Johnson and Chesser have been injured. Plus who knows how Burgiel will turn out.
I think we did darn well in last years draft. Gaining an extra 2nd rounder and taking a good upside pick in Hough. However I had Hobbs as being a clear pick at 13. Overall I think it was an under strength draft with a lot of capacity for a good recruiter to earn their worth.

1-10 Daicos should have gone at #1, with my next few safe picks being Rachele, JHF and Ward. Darcy was an intersting pick as he had only really played a couple of standout games. He looks like an absolute monster though. Callaghan was hot property but I personally had him a bit further down. I don't rate Gibcus at all highly with Amiss being an unknown but I can see why freo jumped a bit early as Richmond may have been keen.

11-30 was pretty even with St. Kilda paying up for some silk in Wanganeen-Milera. Tom Brown was a bolter and I think taken way too early. Wilmot was always going to be an interesting pick as well. Johnson slid a little bit where I thought around 15 was about right. Van Rooyen was a steal and Sonsie slid a littler bit as well.

-- I would have --
1. Hobbs
2. Chesser + Burgiel
3. Sinn (Sinn>Chesser but not by a lot)

Others I could have gone for at 14 would have been Van Rooyen or MacDonald.

And i'd have liked Roberts over Hough as well at 34.
Leaving Hough/Bazzo at 37.
If one was gone at 37 I would have bid on Fahey and taken Soligo, Z.Taylor, N.Long, J.Williams

Definitely Chesser and Burgiel is better than Hobbs.

Chesser is one of those supreme athletes like Ginbey.
Has the size, speed and power that Hobbs can't match, and in time will be a weapon. Burgiel is a nice bonus.

Definitely Chesser and Burgiel is better than Hobbs.

Chesser is one of those supreme athletes like Ginbey.
Has the size, speed and power that Hobbs can't match, and in time will be a weapon. Burgiel is a nice bonus.
Bullish! I hope he can put the injuries behind him and come good for us.
I see Chesser as a slightly better more consistent Petruccelle without the extreme pace. Versatile and has a few tricks but handy rather than a weapon.
Hobbs can be the next Liberatore/Oliver/Wines/Priddis. Elite as an extractor type midfielder.

For us specifically Hobbs was a bigger areaa of need with the cupboard being bare, Chesser with another 10 to play the same position.
Hobbs > Culley, West, Trew, Clark
Chesser ≈ Hough, Duggan & the rest

I see Chesser as a slightly better more consistent Petruccelle without the extreme pace. Versatile and has a few tricks but handy rather than a weapon.
Hobbs can be the next Liberatore/Oliver/Wines/Priddis. Elite as an extractor type midfielder.

For us specifically Hobbs was a bigger areaa of need with the cupboard being bare, Chesser with another 10 to play the same position.
You obviously rate Hobbs a lot higher than me.

He may become a player like one of those mentioned (unlikely), or he may be more like Brayden Sier, Connor Blakely or Luke Valente.

Chesser reminds me of Max Holmes, that kind of athlete is a real weapon to have.

Chester has extreme pace…

You obviously rate Hobbs a lot higher than me.

He may become a player like one of those mentioned (unlikely), or he may be more like Brayden Sier, Connor Blakely or Luke Valente.

Chesser reminds me of Max Holmes, that kind of athlete is a real weapon to have.
Indeed I do. He has the same style but is another 50% better than those listed.
My first thought was he would end up a consistent 200 game player. Limited but really good at what he does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back