Resource History of Eagles to play for other AFL/VFL Teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
I felt the urge to under take a little bit of research tonight, sparked by a conversation about who’s players the Eagles recruit most often.

So below is a full break down of every Eagle to play a senior game for the club, that has also played AFL/VFL football for another club. The overall number listed is the total amount of players to move between the 2 clubs (one way or the other)

The only rule I’ve worked with is they had to play a SENIOR GAME for both clubs. So it doesn’t matter if they were on our list (or theirs) and never played (ie Mathew Burton, Tim Watson, Keegan Brooksby et al.)

Should be easy enough to follow with some fun facts below.

If I’ve missed anyone or made an error please feel free to berate me with extreme prejudice.

List Correct as per Round 5, 2021 on Season:

A3752935-8120-41F5-B5EC-5C9A19121B24.png
So....

Richmond tops the list with 15 players having played for both clubs. 9 came within the first 6 seasons of our club with none since Aaron Edwards debut for the Tigers in 2013 (after a stint with North Melbourne).

St Kilda and Collingwood come next with 13 and 12 players respectively each.

A few interesting quirks:

• Only 1 player has ever directly transferred from West Coast to Adelaide - Matt Connell who won the Club Champion award in his first season at the Crows circa 1995. Ian Downsborough had a stop at Port before reaching the Crows.
  • Paul Peos remains the only player to leave West Coast for another club, only to later return to the Eagles and play more games.
  • Josh Kennedy is the only player to ever transfer from Carlton to West Coast.
  • 11 Players have played for both West Coast and Fremantle - but only 2 (Trent Carroll and Greg Harding) made the Fremantle to Eagles switch. Jarrod Schofield is the last player to bring up games with both clubs (circa 2005) but had a lengthy career at Port after leaving the Eagles initially.
  • It took 30 years to have our first Geelong to Eagles switch - all going the other way until Nathan Vardy in 2017. We’ve since added Tim Kelly and Jamaine Jones to the list in 2020.
  • Ryan Davis had a 7 year gap between finishing at WCE in 2009 and debuting for Gold Coast in 2016.
  • Ben Cousins played more games than any Eagle to go on and play for another team - Quinten Lynch comes in 2nd.

So there you go - now you know. 😉

Last edited:

Interesting read, nice work OP.

This just reinforces the fact that we are so good at retaining players we want to.
The only standouts for players to have left & gone on to individual success are Judd, Gehrig & Gardiner.
Then others who landed in a good spot to win a flag, but weren't big losses for us (Ball, Morton, Spangher).

With all of the notable names, you could argue we got either got the best out of them or got a good return.

Well done Vozzo.

Interesting read, nice work OP.

This just reinforces the fact that we are so good at retaining players we want to.
The only standouts for players to have left & gone on to individual success are Judd, Gehrig & Gardiner.
Then others who landed in a good spot to win a flag, but weren't big losses for us (Ball, Morton, Spangher).

With all of the notable names, you could argue we got either got the best out of them or got a good return.

Well done Vozzo.

I’d probably include Ebert in the success after leaving group too, he could well play 300 games - Dean Laidley too to some extent - what is encouraging though is Ebert, Gehrig and Judd all requested to leave - and we had to sack Gardiner - so it’s not like we cast them aside as ‘not up to it’ and watched them go onto have good careers.

We even got AA seasons out of Gehrig, Gardiner and Judd.

UPDATE:

Zac Langdon will become the 2nd Giant turned Eagle tomorrow afternoon with his first match for the club.

FAE8A2EC-8742-45B5-9808-3F8F894E9306.png

Alex Witherden will make his long awaited and now imminent league debut for West Coast on Friday against Collingwood!

Alex started his career at Brisbane in fine style, finishing 3rd in 2018 Rising Star.

It looked like Alex was destined for a career of this:

F287AE2C-BD55-49E8-8301-46BA279DA68B.gif

But as Brisbane climbed the ladder...Alex found himself out of favour and out of the team, struggling to see much league footy by 2020....

9405EE36-266C-4444-A674-099C5711F2F3.jpeg

Fast forward to last year’s trade period and Alex was wooed over to the West over Skype by Darren Glass and Adam Simpson. Seemingly impressed by our use of basic technology, Alex was an Eagle shortly thereafter and is now set for an amazing career with The Eagles!

Alex becomes the 4th Brisbane Lion-turned-Eagle joining ‘Triple D’ Bradd Dalziell, Elliot Yeo and Jack Redden.

1DC7427A-6A4F-463A-973E-D10002D13A26.jpeg

Nice work AV. A bit of fun and some interesting stuff.

The only thing I would have liked to have seen is a modification to the OP, where there is some division or advice as to who fall into what camp. To help out those of us with fading memories of fringe players from the pre 2000 period.
E.g.
Brisbane Lions (5 - 4B, 1A)

(A) -
Brent Staker, (B) - Bradd Dalziell, Elliot Yeo, Jack Redden, Alex Witherden

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice work AV. A bit of fun and some interesting stuff.

The only thing I would have liked to have seen is a modification to the OP, where there is some division or advice as to who fall into what camp. To help out those of us with fading memories of fringe players from the pre 2000 period.
E.g.
Brisbane Lions (5 - 4B, 1A)

(A) -
Brent Staker, (B) - Bradd Dalziell, Elliot Yeo, Jack Redden, Alex Witherden

Yep - I have been thinking about reformatting it into something a bit easier to read - I put it together with a bit of stream of consciousness and the list of players from AFL Tables. Will have a play!

This is a table that could become 'bigger than Ben Hur'.

I looked at the table and went 'so how many games for each club did each of these guys play?', and 'which club did we do best out of?', and 'worst out of?'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back