Toast Hodge, Burgoyne and Gibson to play in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Awesome news that they are going around again. Hodge to rack up 300 next season hopefully barring any major injuries.

Good sign that these boys are locked away now, so the club can continue to plan for up coming draft/trade period, knowing that they are signed up.

I doubt any of them will be on above average pay next year. They have all signed one year deals probably knowing it will be their last year before the uncertainty of retirement. I would be surprised if it affects our salary cap significantly or our ability to attract recruits.

With the cap going up over $1m next year theres no way they took less than 400k im sorry

Even with jom and mitchell coming in the $1m increase means theres not much need for any cut let alone a slashing and they are still our best players with rioli

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome decision in my view. Regardless of the direct benefit these legends will have on our 2017 flag chances, their presence is wonderful for all the young kids at the club and will help them develop into champions of the future. Plus we get to avoid the heartache of seeing them go for another year!

Awesome decision in my view. Regardless of the direct benefit these legends will have on our 2017 flag chances, their presence is wonderful for all the young kids at the club and will help them develop into champions of the future. Plus we get to avoid the heartache of seeing them go for another year!
Christmas has come early for me, absolute champions and will go down as legends. Clearly the next crop aren't ready to take over yet. Just shows how much Damien Barrett knows about these great men, write them of at your own peril

I reckon we lose Hodge and Burgoyne this time next year.
I'd go so far as saying I'm 99.9% certain you're right.

Mitch maybe 2 years left. We'll know more about Gibbo next year...

I'd go so far as saying I'm 99.9% certain you're right.

Mitch maybe 2 years left. We'll know more about Gibbo next year...
Maybe due to injury, but Gibbo looking ordinary the last few months. Lost some speed and jump. The end might come very fast for him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great news that 3 of our champions are playing on and will be here at least another year to mentor and guide the young fellas into great players.

Last edited:
As much as it warms the heart to see all 4 vets going on into 2017, I think that long term its not a great call.
Long term it might be great for the youngsters to have them hand over the baton and be there for support in peripheral roles.

Plus, would we rather an extra year out of Burgoyne, Hodge and Gibson or another 12 months from Litherland, Spangher and Fitzpatrick?

I know which three I would prefer to take list space.

Worst case scenario if any of the fabulous 4 over 30 are not up to playing in the firsts, how marvelous will it be to have any one of them as an on field coach at Box Hill.

Long term it might be great for the youngsters to have them hand over the baton and be there for support in peripheral roles.

Plus, would we rather an extra year out of Burgoyne, Hodge and Gibson or another 12 months from Watson, Mayne and Vickery?

I know which three I would prefer to take list space (It's the second lot)
Oh Abasi :(

So basically Hodge is on a 150K contribution to the salary cap. How many veterans are we allowed?
nope, next year there is no veterans list. TPP is being increased by $400k in addition to whatever raise we end up with as part of the new CBA as the final step to phasing out the veterans list.

We had Hodge, Lewis, Rough and Mitch on the vets list this year as it required 10 years of service at the current club, so it's those four who's salary impact on TPP will be felt the most. I'd assume the club had planned well for it and paid them more this year than next in the case of Rough and Lewis

Great decision by the club.

Yes there is a chance that we might look back at 1 or 2 of them mid next year and say 'why did we give such and such an extra year he looks cooked' BUT at least they will all finish their careers as hawks.

Would hate nothing more then to see a Geelong like situation where our absolute warriors got shown the door and ended up at other clubs.

This 100%. And on the flip side, I am more than happy for all of them to cop the Ted Richards treatment when it has passed them by. It hasn't yet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back