How are each clubs boards selected?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Just a question on how the boards for each club are elected/selected? Obviously the traditional Vic clubs are member elected - I know North perhaps was different to this until Brayshaw reverted to the member elected board. I assume the WA & SA clubs are selected by the WAFC/SAFL repsectively?

The reason I ask is because I had assumed Brisbane was an AFL controlled club (like GWS, GC & Sydney are?) with an AFL appointed board however reading about their troubles on the weekend it seems they are a member elected board like the Vic clubs. Is anyone able to clarify this?

For the record, this is how I believe the different baords are elected/selected;

Adelaide - SAFL appointed
Brisbane - AFL appointed
Carlton - member elected
Collingwood - member elected
Essendon - member elected
Fremantle - WAFC appointed
Geelong - member elected
Gold Coast - AFL appointed
GWS - AFL appointed
Hawthorn - member elected
Melbourne - member elected
North Melbourne - member elected
Port Adelaide - SAFL appointed
Richmond - member elected
St. Kilda - member elected
Sydney - AFL appointed
West Coast - WAFC appointed
Western Bulldogs - member elected

Just a question on how the boards for each club are elected/selected? Obviously the traditional Vic clubs are member elected - I know North perhaps was different to this until Brayshaw reverted to the member elected board. I assume the WA & SA clubs are selected by the WAFC/SAFL repsectively?

The reason I ask is because I had assumed Brisbane was an AFL controlled club (like GWS, GC & Sydney are?) with an AFL appointed board however reading about their troubles on the weekend it seems they are a member elected board like the Vic clubs. Is anyone able to clarify this?

For the record, this is how I believe the different baords are elected/selected;

Adelaide - SANFL appointed, members nominate at least 1 director
Brisbane - Member elected since the Fitzroy merger if not before
Carlton - member elected
Collingwood - member elected
Essendon - member elected
Fremantle - WAFC appointed
Geelong - member elected
Gold Coast - AFL appointed
GWS - AFL appointed
Hawthorn - member elected
Melbourne - member elected
North Melbourne - member elected
Port Adelaide - SANFL appointed, Members nominate at least one director
Richmond - member elected
St. Kilda - member elected
Sydney - AFL appointed, Members nominate at least one director.
West Coast - WAFC appointed
Western Bulldogs - member elected

Fixed some of the above for you.

Brisbane has the same member election setup as the other Melbourne clubs do, at least since the merger with Fitzroy, if not before. Sydney and the SA clubs allow members to elect at least one, if not more directors while the majority of the board is league appointed. This may also be true at West Coast and Fremantle but Ive no honest idea.

Brisbane's board are member elected and have been since February 1992, when they were branded as the Bears.

Fitzroy's board, (both when they were in the AFL and now in the VAFA) were/are elected by the Club's shareholders. When Fitzroy were in the AFL one board member was elected by club members.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back