Resource How do I...? (Pies board Q & A, handy hints, tips, useful stuff)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought it might be useful to have a thread where questions are asked, and answers are given to some of life's big questions. Such as:

How do I add a poll to a thread?

How do I tag a poster into a thread?

Should I use a prefix if I start a thread?

How do I create a link to a URL, and make it look blue like this? (I just created a link to our very own Board Guidelines which look like they haven't been updated since BP - before our last premiership).

Feel free to ask questions, ask for assistance, admit your ignorance, jump in to offer help, or otherwise make yourself useful to your fellow posters.

Some handy hints to follow...

I've created a thread. How do I add a poll?

It's easy. You create your thread, write up the OP, and then look to the bottom of the 'create thread' page, where you will see this.

Poll.JPG

Insert your poll question; enter your possible responses (you can have more than two by clicking on 'add additional response'); click on single or unlimited responses; choose other options; and select a time frame for the poll to be open.

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-6_19-20-59.png
    upload_2016-12-6_19-20-59.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 4

How do I tag a poster into a thread?

Super easy, and '@' is your friend!

Just put @ in front of a poster's name - right in front, with no space between - and if you type the name slowly, BF will give you some prompts to choose from. Try it with Magpie Girl (sorry MG). Funnily enough, we have a lot of posters who's user name begins with Magpie. But if you keep going, you will find MG.

Alternatively, enter@ and then type her user name exactly, and it will work anyway, and alert her to the thread, like this Magpie Girl!

If I need to do it, I quote the post in the original thread, copy the whole text and then paste into the relevant thread.

There is probably an easier way but it works for me.
Thanks, does it still look like a normal quote? i.e. in a shaded box?

Thread prefixes - to use or not to use?

No hard and fast rules with these, although they appeal to moderators and people with a tendency towards tidiness.:D

And we have so many options, as Chief just keeps adding them and adding them. For those who visit other boards - if you see any useful prefixes elsewhere, let us know, and we can ask for more.

Speaking of prefixes, I need some help. Can you guys see the 'welcome' prefix in the 'general footy topics' list when you start a new thread? The image below is what we mods can see, but I'm not sure others can (perks of the job:))

It should be used in threads to welcome players and others (even people like Geoff Walsh!), but no-one appears to use it. TD has confirmed he couldn't see the prefix when he created his recent player welcome threads.

If its not publicly visible/available, it should be. We can ask Chief to fix it.

prefixes.JPG

If I need to do it, I quote the post in the original thread, copy the whole text and then paste into the relevant thread.

There is probably an easier way but it works for me.
That's how I do it.
The multiple partial quotes are the ones that get me.
The best at quoting is 76woodenspooners so maybe he can shed some light for us?

That's how I do it.
The multiple partial quotes are the ones that get me.
The way I do that one is by coping the post I want to reply to, paste it and reply to the part I want.
Then I delete the second part of the reply, paste the original post again and delete the part that I have already replied to.
The best at quoting is 76woodenspooners so maybe he can shed some light for us?
Yeah, 76woodenspooners probably has a better way of doing it.

The way I do that one is by coping the post I want to reply to, paste it and reply to the part I want.
Then I delete the second part of the reply, paste the original post again and delete the part that I have already replied to.

That's how I thought it would be done, (clearly it works for you).
76 quotes heaps in one post, maybe he has a short-cut.

I'm actually a Nigerian Prince in real life and I have a lot of money squirrelled away but need some people to volunteer to let me park some money in their bank accounts. They will be richly rewarded with a percentage and the interest.

Is there a function on Big Footy that would allow people to click on an icon to enter their bank details or at the very least a function that will allow people to pay wave their credit cards over their computer screens?

Kind Regards

His Royal Higness Prince Kirby

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Creating a link to a URL

This looks good in a post, very polished.:p

You are in the middle of an impressive post, and you want to make it more impressive by linking it to something important and coloured blue like this?

Firstly, type your post, and highlight the words/text that you want to use for your hyperlink. Then open the thread, or post, or article, or whatever you wish to link to and copy the URL at the top of the page, like this:

URL.JPG

Then click on this symbol in the options at the top of your post screen:
URL 2.JPG

It will open to this:

URL3.JPG
Enter your URL (paste from the copy), press 'insert', and voila!

Attachments

• URL.JPG
    URL.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 6
I'm actually a Nigerian Prince in real life and I have a lot of money squirrelled away but need some people to volunteer to let me park some money in their bank accounts. They will be richly rewarded with a percentage and the interest.

Is there a function on Big Footy that would allow people to click on an icon to enter their bank details or at the very least a function that will allow people to pay wave their credit cards over their computer screens?

Kind Regards

His Royal Higness Prince Kirby

Will ask Chief to set this up for you. I'll need your bank account details first, including your password.

This is hard to demonstrate because it keeps doing what I'm trying to explain:rolleyes:

When you are replying to a post the word QUOTE is at the beginning and the end of the post, each within []
Please not that at the end of the post there is a / before the word QUOTE

Select the bit you wish to respond to and then use the /quote in brackets
Select the next bit, put the Quote in brackets, and the /quote in brackets at the end

repeat until finished.

Thread prefixes - to use or not to use?

No hard and fast rules with these, although they appeal to moderators and people with a tendency towards tidiness.:D

And we have so many options, as Chief just keeps adding them and adding them. For those who visit other boards - if you see any useful prefixes elsewhere, let us know, and we can ask for more.

Speaking of prefixes, I need some help. Can you guys see the 'welcome' prefix in the 'general footy topics' list when you start a new thread? The image below is what we mods can see, but I'm not sure others can (perks of the job:))

It should be used in threads to welcome players and others (even people like Geoff Walsh!), but no-one appears to use it. TD has confirmed he couldn't see the prefix when he created his recent player welcome threads.

If its not publicly visible/available, it should be. We can ask Chief to fix it.

View attachment 316912
I have added the Prefix 'Resource' :p
although it's very hard to see:(

I have added the Prefix 'Resource' :p
although it's very hard to see:(

Well, on this topic, I cant see that prefix option! We seem to have an uneven list of available prefixes. Definitely a job for Chief!

Well, on this topic, I cant see that prefix option! We seem to have an uneven list of available prefixes. Definitely a job for Chief!
It's very faint and hard to see - below 'seconds'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back