Social Science How do people just sit there and watch Louis Theroux?

Remove this Banner Ad

fer thissen

Debutant
Apr 1, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Malmö FF
The other week I had a mate staying for a few nights and one night I get home and he's plonked there just watching Louis Theroux. and I just go 'how can you watch this s**t?' and he wouldn't stop defending the guy. so then he sits there and watches like four more of these *in things. they're all the same!

So he walks into somewhere not West London (which the British tax payer's shouted) and tells you about some 'scary, emerging trend.' but it's not really emerging because everyone on the internet saw it six months ago. then he talks to someone who loves the camera attention and puts mayo on everything and speaks in barely-cloaked 'beautiful quotes.' and the whole time Louis is doing his naive Briton thing that he's been doing for 25 years. anyway he walks away from this multi-million dollar endeavour and tells you some really obvious point, and his context and opinion is that sort of emergent conservativism and caution former privileged liberal thinkers get when they're his age. like he tells you some girl with a mental illness selling photos of herself isn't quite right or that it's sad kids in America drink cough syrup and 'just maybe' it's emblematic of something bigger.

* meee this just dude sucks. it's like you don't need to actually meet different people because you watched a Louis, or you know all about sex because you saw one where people engaged in a highly common sexual quirk.

Just such a puncey, pretentious, condescending, manipulative and exploitative, uninteresting little self-obsessor who – considering his traversing of place and people – has never learnt or grown.

• Banned
When everyone with a camera and an internet connection is is calling themselves a journalist it's easy to forget how groundbreaking Weird Weekends were when they first came out.
They're 25 years old. his schtick is the exact same. it's like how Tim Minchin still has s**t hair and makeup. it's like a hack comedian job, just resting on these tropes and laurels. 'but I'm a brand.' those things he documented were more fringe and people probably had more more repressed sexuality. now every thought-faction has a reddit and every proclivity can be engaged with a bored 4 off an app on a Tuesday night.

What's it called? that notion that people basically surround themselves with the opinions they themselves hold. people who reckon they're a bit clever might like Louis Theroux because he appeals to a pretty simple idea of what intelligence and worldliness is.

My only issue with Theroux is that he doesn't seem to respect the subjects of his documentaries. They are there to be the entertainment.
He used a poor lass recently. kicked out of home, history of domestic sexual abuse, continued vulnerability and exploitation, and she was doing videos from her webcam. it wasnt very interesting at all. everyone knows you get that on the internet; everyone knows most of the girls down your local shagpalace didn't go to Iona. all that happened is someone had to disclose deeply personal issues on television and get prodded by a generational multi-millionaire. the it's just a net loss.

Dude can go kick rocks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing screams white privilege more than Louie throwing his condescension on anyone who's had a harder life then he has

His levels of non empathy are bordering on sociopathic

Just such a puncey, pretentious, condescending, manipulative and exploitative, uninteresting little self-obsessor who – considering his traversing of place and people – has never learnt or grown.
Bit too much like looking in the mirror then?
but should Silent Alarm be back, a question that perhaps only Louis could give the correct gravitas to
SA >>> Gralin

My only issue with Theroux is that he doesn't seem to respect the subjects of his documentaries. They are there to be the entertainment.

That's what I like about most of his stuff, He is not afraid to ask any questions and he doesn't seem bothered by how uncomfortable things can get.

not really, you are a lockdown-lover
calculating the hangover GIF

Interestingly I actually got the opposite impression, at least from his old stuff like Westboro Baptist Church and that doomsday prepper type guy in the woods who didn't want to pay tax (can't remember details at all, but do remember he stayed in a bunker with Santa Claus(?)). Thought he did a great job of engaging on a human level with the outlandishly offensive or ridiculous and gets a more honest portrait of people. Thought his Las Vegas gambling episode was very even handed and avoided an exploitative tone.

On OP, it seems like you're very salty over some specific partisan talking point but forgot to actually say what it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back