Social Science How do people just sit there and watch Louis Theroux?

Remove this Banner Ad

Interestingly I actually got the opposite impression, at least from his old stuff like Westboro Baptist Church and that doomsday prepper type guy in the woods who didn't want to pay tax (can't remember details at all, but do remember he stayed in a bunker with Santa Claus(?)). Thought he did a great job of engaging on a human level with the outlandishly offensive or ridiculous and gets a more honest portrait of people. Thought his Las Vegas gambling episode was very even handed and avoided an exploitative tone.

On OP, it seems like you're very salty over some specific partisan talking point but forgot to actually say what it is.
I think like anyone there would be people he interviewed that he made actual connections with and ones that he didn't

I think like anyone there would be people he interviewed that he made actual connections with and ones that he didn't
Khalid Abdul Muhammad stood out as one of the only people I can recall Louis not being able to make any connection with (and from what I've seen the only person who actually got under Louis's skin).

Khalid Abdul Muhammad stood out as one of the only people I can recall Louis not being able to make any connection with (and from what I've seen the only person who actually got under Louis's skin).
I've not seen that one will have to check it out

His Weird Weekends shows back in the late 90s were great when he was the young Englishman fish out of water in the US and showing how crazy it is.

They were mostly fun topics too, like the Swingers episode, the pr0n industry, Infomercials, the Off Broadway one, Wrestling and the Demolition Derby.

There was a sense of wonder about him discovering the US for the first time which I could relate to being there around the same time for the first time.

With his shows now he is older and more jaded about the US experience as he's been there numerous times and his shows aren't as fun, he's exploring the less fun topics and darker side of the US like drug addiction and crime, gun violence and the awful prison and welfare system in the US.

Like Gen X rock bands and artists Louis Theroux's best work was in the 90s but his work now is still better than what most Millennials can produce.

I sincerely hope this a troll. Or ive wandered into a thread of bare minds.
Loius was doing off beat stuff with his weird weekends long ago. Emphasis on humour and pointing out contradictions. With light hearted humour.
Then he delved a bit more serious. Abandoning per se the freak angle of interest.
With pressing social issue of that time.. Which were not pressed in his time. People forget the climate of the time.
Ive seen a growth in maturation but more importantly a glimpse that he cares deeply about the world and the people in it.
Each to their own of course, but I could label thousands of doco social makers to castigate before him.

I sincerely hope this a troll. Or ive wandered into a thread of bare minds.
Loius was doing off beat stuff with his weird weekends long ago. Emphasis on humour and pointing out contradictions. With light hearted humour.
Then he delved a bit more serious. Abandoning per se the freak angle of interest.
With pressing social issue of that time.. Which were not pressed in his time. People forget the climate of the time.
Ive seen a growth in maturation but more importantly a glimpse that he cares deeply about the world and the people in it.
Each to their own of course, but I could label thousands of doco social makers to castigate before him.

A use of paragraphs wouldn't go astray HP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah. Seems like a snotty white privileged upstart. Standing with literally a murderous low level psychopath and not backing down. And taking the piss out of a dangerous buffoon.
Keyboard warriors start flexing.
"Is that shakespeare?"
laughing-laugh.gif

"

Last edited:
Rob Bell > Louis Theroux

Now there is a quality English documentary maker

He knows his bridges Rob and he's an engineer himself so he knows what he's talking about.

hahah Bell End. I do like chucking these on and banging out a curry on a Sunday, but he’s not an amazing presenter. dude is excited, sure, but he’s got a poor grasp on language and for an engineer actually doesn’t really have an ability to convey what’s unique about a build or design.

Plus he always looks really dirty?

Yeah. Seems like a snotty white privileged upstart. Standing with literally a murderous low level psychopath and not backing down. And taking the piss out of a dangerous buffoon.
Keyboard warriors start flexing.
"Is that shakespeare?"
laughing-laugh.gif

"

He’s there with a documentary crew. you reckon they’re going to commit even a petty crime in front of him and have that be what the authorities can nail them on?

He’s not brave at all. and he is wealthy and privileged. British media is, you can’t begrudge it, but don’t act like he’s street.

Louis sucks nuts. just ‘wow, jeez, America is bad at health care isn’t it!’ tier s**t. why don’t you investigate pedophilia at the Beeb? or radio presenters being on 400,000 pounds a year?

He’s there with a documentary crew. you reckon they’re going to commit even a petty crime in front of him and have that be what the authorities can nail them on?

He’s not brave at all. and he is wealthy and privileged. British media is, you can’t begrudge it, but don’t act like he’s street.

Louis sucks nuts. just ‘wow, jeez, America is bad at health care isn’t it!’ tier s**t. why don’t you investigate pedophilia at the Beeb? or radio presenters being on 400,000 pounds a year?
I don’t think anyone is acting like Louis Theroux is ‘street’!

Also, he did do a documentary on Jimmy Saville, speaking to his victims and looking at his own interactions with him and his original doco on him that was pretty much positive before his crimes became public knowledge.

Its certainly interesting seeing someone like that visit max security prisons or the westboro baptist church. I find him more interesting than tough guys like ross kemp or danny dyer, thats for sure.
I don't mind Ross Kemp (admittedly unsure if he still even makes things?) but Danny Dyer cracks me up. There's no way he's not playing a long version of an English Borat or the like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back