Preview How will we line up in R1 v Brisbane Lions?

Remove this Banner Ad

More to the point, we've got a bunch of young tall forwards we should be pushing through. The aim should be to get Waterman, Allen and Brander to roughly where Barrass is now in terms of experience by the time Kennedy finishes. That's about 50 games. Not sure we'll quite manage that but the closer, the better.

It just occurred to me the other day that Barrass has only played 50 games. It’s scary how good he is after so little games, especially considering he’s now rated elite by Champion Data.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Watson plays well against Fremantle, it'd be wise to strike while the iron is hot and debut him Rd 1. He's matured physically, and it'd raise his confidence to start developing composure at senior level in a strong team. I'm sure the defensive unit would have him up to speed pretty quickly.

Schofield may not have a matchup for Brisbane, and Masten's spot could be in danger if he has another poor game.

If Watson plays well against Fremantle, it'd be wise to strike while the iron is hot and debut him Rd 1. He's matured physically, and it'd raise his confidence to start developing composure at senior level in a strong team. I'm sure the defensive unit would have him up to speed pretty quickly.

Schofield may not have a matchup for Brisbane, and Masten's spot could be in danger if he has another poor game.

Jetta to the wing. Watson to half back.

Feel Watson will be an upgrade on Jetta long term. 10 tackles. Yep 10 tackles.:cool:

Starting to see why Freo were filthy they missed out on him when he chose us.:)

The way you guys looked last night it's not going to matter who you pick for your fringe positions. You guys looked awesome.

Confidence in what the team is doing must be at an all time high. Its that something all teams / players who just won a flag for the first time gain. Beleif and mojo.

Richmond showed it last year after their 2017 unexpected flag. And the quality of the kids who missed out is what is most exciting for us. Oscar Allen, Watson and Petreccelle.

All those Cats fans who were laughing at us over looking Tim Kelly for Oscar Allen will soon start to understand why we rated him so highly.

The way you guys looked last night it's not going to matter who you pick for your fringe positions. You guys looked awesome.
Looking forward to our match up.

Was leaning towards an upset of a Lion nature prior to yesterday I must admit.

Will watch your match with Hawthorn with some purpose tomorrow it must be said :)

Jetta to the wing. Watson to half back.

With the new rules Jetta has got to stay in the backline. His kick in from after a behind (along with Hurn) is going to be areal weapon of ours.
We will have the ability to pretty much kick it halfway whenever we have need, and beyond at the SCG!

As much as I hate to say it, Cole may be the one who ends up losing his position if Watson was to force his way in.

With the new rules Jetta has got to stay in the backline. His kick in from after a behind (along with Hurn) is going to be areal weapon of ours.
We will have the ability to pretty much kick it halfway whenever we have need, and beyond at the SCG!

As much as I hate to say it, Cole may be the one who ends up losing his position if Watson was to force his way in.

Surely Masten makes way before Cole.

His one dimensional style and ability wont be enough to keep his spot with the quality of kids coming through.

B: Sheppard Barrass Hurn
HB: Jetta Mcgovern Duggan
C: Sheed Redden Masten
HF: Venables Darling O.Allen
F: Rioli Kennedy Ryan
R: Vardy Shuey Yeo
I/C: Cole Hutchings Hickey Petrucelle

Emg: Schofield Ah Chee Waterman Brander

When Cripps and Gaff return, i’d have them in for Petrucelle and Masten.

I think thats our best 22 untill NN returns, im hoping Allen is cemented in our team from round 1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think thats our best 22 untill NN returns, im hoping Allen is cemented in our team from round 1
Looking at that side, I think it's important that at least 1-2 of those small/medium forwards is flexible enough to roll through the midfield. Probably Rioli and/or Venables need to be thrown in there.

I wanted to have Watson in there but there's no one to come out for him. Cole doesn't deserve to be dropped. I would give Kennedy another week's rest. Put Oscar as the second key forward which allows Watson a space on the bench.
Alternatively I would swap Petrucelle with Watson. There is enough class in the forward line with Ryan and Rioli that we can afford to let Petch come in if there's an injury. Watson's time is now. If he irons out his disposal to go with his other skill set our backline will be the strongest in the competition. He's fast enough to play on smalls and tall enough to play on talls.

Surely Masten makes way before Cole.

His one dimensional style and ability wont be enough to keep his spot with the quality of kids coming through.

They're completely different players in different positions.

I guess we're doing this again. Regardless, pressure on Masten is going to come from other players.

Masten plays an important role. He runs all day and provides an option. It's simple and one-dimensional, but it's also a point of difference.

For what it's worth, I thought some of his field kicking yesterday was the best it's been in a long time. Granted with Masten it's always a lottery. I just don't understand it, 3-4 years ago he had a year of excellent field kicking and then it just disappeared.

They're completely different players in different positions.

I guess we're doing this again. Regardless, pressure on Masten is going to come from other players.

Masten plays an important role. He runs all day and provides an option. It's simple and one-dimensional, but it's also a point of difference.

For what it's worth, I thought some of his field kicking yesterday was the best it's been in a long time. Granted with Masten it's always a lottery. I just don't understand it, 3-4 years ago he had a year of excellent field kicking and then it just disappeared.

Sure they are completely different in that Masten has evolved into a one dimensional player and Cole still has time to develop playing in other positions.

Watson could play wing but looks great behind the ball rebounding. Hense why I said Jetta may push Masten out to bring Watson in.

I have been a Masten supporter but also critical of parts of his game. So dont lump me with the nuff nuff Priddis and Masten bashing tribe. But the reality is Masten is one dimensional and we have young kids better than him gunning for a spot.

Injuries always play a part so chances are that is what creates opportunity but Masten is under big pressure to perform this year more than ever before.

After JLT 1 and given the expected injuries etc I would go

Hurn Barrass Schofield
Jetta Gov Sheppard
Sheed Yeo Duggan
Ryan Darling Venables
Rioli Kennedy Oallen

Vardy Shuey Redden

Hickey, Cole, Hutchings, Petrucelle

Team looks pretty good with gaff, masten, cripps, waterman and Watson all putting some pretty serious pressure on that team listed. And there’s still others like ah Chee, Smith and nelson that are afl ready as additional depth.

It will just be injuries to key players that will be the worry this year, no shortage of decent depth.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It just occurred to me the other day that Barrass has only played 50 games. It’s scary how good he is after so little games, especially considering he’s now rated elite by Champion Data.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
I know it's only JLT, but watching it and admiring our defence.

Barrass, McGovern, Hurn, Cole, Duggan and Shep are almost guaranteed starters, all are tough as nails, all of them will body line a loose ball (Barrass the least effective here), very few people want to get in Hurn or Duggan's way. There's such a great mix of hardness on the ground and genuine aerial ability. Not many mark like Gov and Barrass and not many fly as high as Shep to punch the ball.

Then we have Schofield, Jetta, Watson as the 7th possible defender, or Brander and Allen to play fill in roles if there's too many injuries and Nelson has also got experience down back. I love our defence. Aerial ability, kicking ability, spoiling ability, X-factor and attacking ability.

After JLT 1 and given the expected injuries etc I would go

Hurn Barrass Schofield
Jetta Gov Sheppard
Sheed Yeo Duggan
Ryan Darling Venables
Rioli Kennedy Oallen

Vardy Shuey Redden

Hickey, Cole, Hutchings, Petrucelle

Team looks pretty good with gaff, masten, cripps, waterman and Watson all putting some pretty serious pressure on that team listed. And there’s still others like ah Chee, Smith and nelson that are afl ready as additional depth.

It will just be injuries to key players that will be the worry this year, no shortage of decent depth.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Masten will be in there somewhere. Oscar may possibly start the year with the Beagles. Petch and Venables are the direct replacements for LeCras and Cripps, not Oscar. Both are more likely to miss than Masten.

Cole may also take Schofield's place and someone else like Watson being named on the bench. Did we ever play Shep, Barrass and Schofield all in the same side?

Don't agree that Watson could only come in for Cole. Can see Watson taking Schofield's spot when we need the run, or Masten's spot if we want a defensive-wing option who is more physical and skilled than Chris (albeit not as knowledgeable at this point in his career).

Just because Masto does what he does well, doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking to improve in any facet that's possible on-field. It's not a 'drop masten' situation but a realistic, weekly assessment of where the squad is at.

Also, players don't just sit in one position, even with the emphasis in the media over these new rule tweaks. Masto will spend a good 2/3 of the game floating off HB up the wing, but rarely do you see him ahead of the footy. More likely to find him providing a handball/short kick outlet to get outside D50... Given a few games to settle I reckon Watson could be more reliable, and effective at stopping fast transition from opposition.

Sure they are completely different in that Masten has evolved into a one dimensional player and Cole still has time to develop playing in other positions.

Watson could play wing but looks great behind the ball rebounding. Hense why I said Jetta may push Masten out to bring Watson in.

I have been a Masten supporter but also critical of parts of his game. So dont lump me with the nuff nuff Priddis and Masten bashing tribe. But the reality is Masten is one dimensional and we have young kids better than him gunning for a spot.

Injuries always play a part so chances are that is what creates opportunity but Masten is under big pressure to perform this year more than ever before.

More than fair. I was quite sauced when i wrote that. My lord.

I see your point, but I don't think Jetta can play wing anymore. He's been awful in that position for years. Jetta needs the accountability and focus of playing in defence to stay engaged.

Masten plays until he gets replaced and if there is an improvement, great. I think in the end pick 3 got us a durable and serviceable 200 game player premiership player, which is about par.

I'm definitely more circumspect after re-watching that game. He really was pretty Garbage.

Don't agree that Watson could only come in for Cole. Can see Watson taking Schofield's spot when we need the run, or Masten's spot if we want a defensive-wing option who is more physical and skilled than Chris (albeit not as knowledgeable at this point in his career).

Just because Masto does what he does well, doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking to improve in any facet that's possible on-field. It's not a 'drop masten' situation but a realistic, weekly assessment of where the squad is at.

Also, players don't just sit in one position, even with the emphasis in the media over these new rule tweaks. Masto will spend a good 2/3 of the game floating off HB up the wing, but rarely do you see him ahead of the footy. More likely to find him providing a handball/short kick outlet to get outside D50... Given a few games to settle I reckon Watson could be more reliable, and effective at stopping fast transition from opposition.

Not sure if you were referring to my post but I don't think we can have all three of Schofield, Barrass and Sheppard in the backline, hence my comment. Cole has definitely cemented his place imo, but Watson isn't his replacement.

More than fair. I was quite sauced when i wrote that. My lord.

I see your point, but I don't think Jetta can play wing anymore. He's been awful in that position for years. Jetta needs the accountability and focus of playing in defence to stay engaged.

Masten plays until he gets replaced and if there is an improvement, great. I think in the end pick 3 got us a durable and serviceable 200 game player premiership player, which is about par.

I'm definitely more circumspect after re-watching that game. He really was pretty Garbage.

I was one of Masten's biggest detractors (along with LeCras) just two years ago but I have to admit that it is his spot to lose now. Has become a good link man, cleaned up his disposal, improved his defensive pressure, and is no longer a one way runner with average disposal.

Having a shocker in the JLT means little, it's now up to the others to force him out unless he has a drastic drop in form. I am sure he knows that there are younger and more skilled players gunning for his place and that he is professional enough to embrace the challenge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back