Preview How will we line up in R1 v Brisbane Lions?

Remove this Banner Ad

club is yet to update its player profiles. Will have to wait till then.

Based off what I’ve seen and injuries accounted for
Cole Barrass Duggan
Hurn McGovern Shepherd
Masten Shuey Yeo
Ryan Darling Petraculle
Willie JK Vardy
Hickey Sheed Redden
Jetta Hutchings O Allen Venables

Hurn, Barrass, Cole
Watson, McGovern, Jetta
Sheppard, Shuey, Sheed
Ryan, Vardy, OAllen
Rioli, Darling, Venebles

Hickey, Redden, Yeo

Duggan, Masten, Petracelle

Backline: Shep seemed to play higher up the ground in JLT1 as more of a defensive link man and I think he offers more than Masten in our possession game plan.

Midfield: Once Gaff return, Shep drops back to a flank, Watson to the bench and drop Masten. When Sheed goes into the guts, Shep can move up onto the wing.

Fwds: I'm not sold on Petracelle yet, and he makes way for Cripps once fit. OAllen probably dropped when JK is fit although we may play only Vardy and OAllen against teams with struggling ruck stocks like Brisbane, Freo and Richmond.

I don't think Watson debuts until one of the above non-KPP defenders cops an injury as I don't think he has displaced Cole/Duggan. So as it stands, I think his rd1 chances are presently low given the fitness/availability of the above players.
Having said all that, should one of those 5 non-KPP defenders get injured, I'd be happy to give Watson first crack and see how he goes, pending a horses-for-courses Schofield (i.e. destroying De Goey) match-up.
Yep, I get all the love for Watson, but who does he replace, only through injury or limited learning curve rotations, possibly against bottom 8 sides.
I'd be tempted to give Vardy more forward minutes and bring in a Smith or Ah Chee/Allen (though I haven't heard much on Ah Chee this pre-season?)
Ahchee been strangely absent, not injured like last preseason? Not on the injury list!
Was named in the GF emergency list.
This from Feb.4th -
"Strong overhead and with the ability to play taller than his 188cm, Ah Chee's ability to go forward and take a mark appealed to West Coast.
But he is backing himself to become a midfield regular, and is among a host of Eagles who has shed weight this summer to improve his running.
Ah Chee clocked a personal best 2km time trial before Christmas, and is using teammate Jack Redden's form spike as inspiration heading into next season..."

Is it possible he's being kept in wraps and unveiled at JLT2 or Round 1, as part of some sort of tactical surprise? Just seems odd, on the cusp yet deliberately withheld and not injured?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, I get all the love for Watson, but who does he replace, only through injury or limited learning curve rotations, possibly against bottom 8 sides.
LeCras. Didn't you know Watson has always been a small forward?

Ahchee been strangely absent, not injured like last preseason? Not on the injury list!
Was named in the GF emergency list.
This from Feb.4th -
"Strong overhead and with the ability to play taller than his 188cm, Ah Chee's ability to go forward and take a mark appealed to West Coast.
But he is backing himself to become a midfield regular, and is among a host of Eagles who has shed weight this summer to improve his running.
Ah Chee clocked a personal best 2km time trial before Christmas, and is using teammate Jack Redden's form spike as inspiration heading into next season..."

Is it possible he's being kept in wraps and unveiled at JLT2 or Round 1, as part of some sort of tactical surprise? Just seems odd, on the cusp yet deliberately withheld and not injured?

Yeah wonder what's going on with AhChee. Super quiet this preseason.

If he doesn't show enough IMO he's gone at the end of the year.

With the new rules Jetta has got to stay in the backline. His kick in from after a behind (along with Hurn) is going to be areal weapon of ours.
We will have the ability to pretty much kick it halfway whenever we have need, and beyond at the SCG!

As much as I hate to say it, Cole may be the one who ends up losing his position if Watson was to force his way in.

Hahaha you don't know much about football if you think Cole is going to be forced out.

Btw I don't think Petch should play Round 1. Do we have any other options?

Not really. Cole or Duggan would have to play some shithouse footy to be dropped and watto would have to be banging the door down in the two's. They were awesome last year and Coles has the x facttor that franky possesses but isn't prone to a lot of mistakes. Franky just needs to wait for an injury.
I don't think Cole will be forced out.

But IF Watson WAS to force his way in (not just play due to injury) then Cole is the player I think he would replace.

I know we are 1 JLT game in but its incredible that in less than 12 months Nelson's gone from the next inline defender to be overtaken by Cole and now Watson.

reckon he still offers us something. Maybe with our lack of genuine wing depth, he could play there in the reserves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back