Preview How will we line up in R1 v Brisbane Lions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Masten will be in there somewhere. Oscar may possibly start the year with the Beagles. Petch and Venables are the direct replacements for LeCras and Cripps, not Oscar. Both are more likely to miss than Masten.

Cole may also take Schofield's place and someone else like Watson being named on the bench. Did we ever play Shep, Barrass and Schofield all in the same side?

I feel Oscar is the front runner to replace Le cras, he's just a tad taller and more flexible.

Venables is similar in size to Leca but is more a pressure forward / mid than a third medium tall.

Petro is a way off in his game sense and simply experience, long term sure but again he is a fair bit different to Le cras.

The thing that caught my attention was Simo mentioning Oscar and his off the ball work keeping to structures, game plan, blocking and doing the 1%ers. Oscar has a high footy IQ from reports and watching him play. Leca was a very smart player as well.

So I can see Oscar cover JK initially but then taking Lecas role, he lined up on a wing at one stage and then down back. Very flexible and capable young footballer.

I feel Oscar is the front runner to replace Le cras, he's just a tad taller and more flexible.

Venables is similar in size to Leca but is more a pressure forward / mid than a third medium tall.

Petro is a way off in his game sense and simply experience, long term sure but again he is a fair bit different to Le cras.

The thing that caught my attention was Simo mentioning Oscar and his off the ball work keeping to structures, game plan, blocking and doing the 1%ers. Oscar has a high footy IQ from reports and watching him play. Leca was a very smart player as well.

So I can see Oscar cover JK initially but then taking Lecas role, he lined up on a wing at one stage and then down back. Very flexible and capable young footballer.

Yep, all good points I mostly agree with.

My comment about replacing LeCras and Cripps was more the type of player (medium forward) earmarked to take their spot. Oscar, Venables and Petch are definitely quite different in terms of playing style to LeCras and Cripps. I also do think that Oscar could turn out to be our next superstar forward, he has the attributes, just needs the consistency. Certainly doesn't play like a KPF with the turning circle of a cruise liner.

B: Sheppard Barrass Duggan
HB: Hurn McGovern Jetta
C: Masten Yeo Sheed
HF: Rioli Darling Petruccelle
F: Ryan Vardy Allen
R: Hickey Redden Shuey
Int: Venables Ah Chee Hutchings Cole

FB Hurn Barrass Duggan
HB Jetta McGovern Shep
C Sheed Redden Masten
HF Hutchings Darling Rioli
FF Ryan Kennedy O.Allen
R Hickey Shuey Yeo
I Cole Vardy Venables Petruccelle.

DV to spend more time on ball with Petch in the side.

FB Hurn Barrass Duggan
HB Jetta McGovern Shep
C Sheed Redden Masten
HF Hutchings Darling Rioli
FF Ryan Kennedy O.Allen
R Hickey Shuey Yeo
I Cole Vardy Venables Petruccelle.

DV to spend more time on ball with Petch in the side.
One of the objectives this season has to be to expand the midfield rotation. Rioli and Venables must roll through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if you were referring to my post but I don't think we can have all three of Schofield, Barrass and Sheppard in the backline, hence my comment. Cole has definitely cemented his place imo, but Watson isn't his replacement.

I was one of Masten's biggest detractors (along with LeCras) just two years ago but I have to admit that it is his spot to lose now. Has become a good link man, cleaned up his disposal, improved his defensive pressure, and is no longer a one way runner with average disposal.

Having a shocker in the JLT means little, it's now up to the others to force him out unless he has a drastic drop in form. I am sure he knows that there are younger and more skilled players gunning for his place and that he is professional enough to embrace the challenge.
I don't think I was... Saw a few posts around suggesting that Watson could only come in for Cole, and without looking at any names thought of posting that rebuttal. Having read your first paragraph, we're actually on the same page; Schoey if we don't need 3 talls can come out for Watson, or similarly if we feel like Watson can offer something more dynamic than Masten that change could also happen (even if some shuffling takes place). Cole isn't going anywhere, he's a gun in the making.

Just hope Watson gets his chance soon, especially if his 2nd JLT is promising.

I think that Darling, Allen, Kennedy and Vardy/Hickey is too tall. I can see why people want Allen in the team though.
We played three tall forwards and the resting ruck for the majority of our 10 game winning streak last year. Given that most teams will be taller this year going in with a second ruck I think we can do it with no problems. Allen is imo a better player than Waterman (who was third tall a fair bit last season) so I don't really see any issues. Probably rotate Darling and Allen up the ground a bit to provide a marking target out on the wing. Allen can also rotate back at times when needed if we go in with only two tall backmen.

I don't think Petch did enough to warrant a spot in the team.

Would rather Venables & Allen in the forward line.

We played three tall forwards and the resting ruck for the majority of our 10 game winning streak last year. Given that most teams will be taller this year going in with a second ruck I think we can do it with no problems. Allen is imo a better player than Waterman (who was third tall a fair bit last season) so I don't really see any issues. Probably rotate Darling and Allen up the ground a bit to provide a marking target out on the wing. Allen can also rotate back at times when needed if we go in with only two tall backmen.
Allan is very good below his knees and even tho he's 192cm can play as a midsize player. He has the agility and enough pace to be a hybrid forward like a Stringer or De Goey.

Its something we can exploit as the opposition tall's will take JD,JK and resting ruck.

We pretty much always play 7 defenders. At the moment that's generally 2-3 talls and 5-4 small/mediums.

Gov, Barrass, Hurn, Sheppard, Jetta are all locks when fit.

Duggan and Cole are the next two incumbents and have both been very impressive (just about the most exciting aspect of the team for me going forwards tbh), so I can't see them being displaced for the time being.

Schofield was first in for for Sheppard and had an excellent finals series, but probably finds himself just outside of the side.

I don't think Watson debuts until one of the above non-KPP defenders cops an injury as I don't think he has displaced Cole/Duggan. The other option is Jetta moves to a wing and Watson takes his spot down back, but I don't see any point making that move given his much-improved form as a HBF. I also don't think Watson can come in as anything other than a defender, as I'm not sure he's had enough exposure to other roles in the WAFL, and as a wingman he's competing with Masten/Gaff/Smith, and even Redden/Sheed who we rolled through there a bit, and he definitely can't displace any of them. So as it stands, I think his rd1 chances are presently low given the fitness/availability of the above players.

Having said all that, should one of those 5 non-KPP defenders get injured, I'd be happy to give Watson first crack and see how he goes, pending a horses-for-courses Schofield (i.e. destroying De Goey) match-up.

Regarding the rest of the team, changes from the GF side I'd go;

Lecca -> Oscar
Schofield -> Shep (sorry schoey)
Lycett -> Hickey
Cripps -> Petch

If JK doesn't get up, it could get a bit dicey. Bringing in Brander or Waterman would give us more of a like-for-like, but also an extremely green forward line; Rioli (24 games), Ryan (13), Venables (15), Petch (3), Oscar (2), Brander (1)/Waterman (16) being led by Darling. We saw against Essendon last year how such an inexperienced forward line can get a bit lost (no lec, JK or JD that match).

I'd be tempted to give Vardy more forward minutes and bring in a Smith or Ah Chee/Allen (though I haven't heard much on Ah Chee this pre-season?)

Allan is very good below his knees and even tho he's 192cm can play as a midsize player. He has the agility and enough pace to be a hybrid forward like a Stringer or De Goey.

Its something we can exploit as the opposition tall's will take JD,JK and resting ruck.
If Oscar Allen is 192cm, I'll eat my hat!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back