Vic How would you rate Daniel Andrews' performance as Victorian Premier? - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon if you were to do a straw poll on who they would least like to see be the new leader of the Victorian Liberals in the run up to next year's state election, the answer won't be Michael O'Brien or Matthew Guy, it would more likely be Peta Credlin. The brains-trust at the Victorian Labor HQ fear Credlin more than the other alternatives (O'Brien & Guy), considering a) Credlin knows how to run a election campaign, was credited for the Coaltion's 2013 federal election win; and b) the way she took Daniel Andrews apart in one press conference during the long second wave Victorian COVID-19 lockdown last year.

I reckon if you were to do a straw poll on who they would least like to see be the new leader of the Victorian Liberals in the run up to next year's state election, the answer won't be Michael O'Brien or Matthew Guy, it would more likely be Peta Credlin. The brains-trust at the Victorian Labor HQ fear Credlin more than the other alternatives (O'Brien & Guy), considering a) Credlin knows how to run a election campaign, was credited for the Coaltion's 2013 federal election win; and b) the way she took Daniel Andrews apart in one press conference during the long second wave Victorian COVID-19 lockdown last year.
And on Saturday there was a feature piece about her in The Age & SMH. Moves of some form are definitely afoot...

THere's no chance the Libs win the next election, so somebody with an existing profile is hardly going to take the plunge to become opposition leader in Victoria. It's such a step down from any job. It's lower $$, lower influence, lower prestige. Maybe if they were 5-6 seats behind, somebody with a profile (and a job) would consider it. But whoever is the next leader is going to lose. The only question is by how much.

ALP know this.

SO if Credlin does run in 2 elections time because she thinks she's a chance, I doubt it will be against Andrews who would see the wind blowing and pass the baton himself before ~13 years as Premier which he would have clocked up in 2 elections' time.

THere's no chance the Libs win the next election, so somebody with an existing profile is hardly going to take the plunge to become opposition leader in Victoria. It's such a step down from any job. It's lower $$, lower influence, lower prestige. Maybe if they were 5-6 seats behind, somebody with a profile (and a job) would consider it. But whoever is the next leader is going to lose. The only question is by how much.

ALP know this.

SO if Credlin does run in 2 elections time because she thinks she's a chance, I doubt it will be against Andrews who would see the wind blowing and pass the baton himself before ~13 years as Premier which he would have clocked up in 2 elections' time.
Everyone said that in 1983. Malcolm Fraser was a "shoe-in" to be voted back in and Labor catapulted ACTU President, Bob Hawke, into a safe seat in Melbourne.

I know Peta Credlin is not Bob Hawke, but I also know there is a lot of unease about the state Labor government, how it was responsible for the greatest catastrophe Australia has seen in terms of lives lost. If, suddenly, there was a new Opposition Leader who took it right up to Chairman Dan, things could happen.

I don't subscribe to the view that because Labor's hold is so strong it will take two elections. Don't forget that in 2006 Labour won 55 out of 88 seats in the Lower House and then lost the next election. The Andrews government currently has 55 seats...

Bot.

Everyone said that in 1983. Malcolm Fraser was a "shoe-in" to be voted back in and Labor catapulted ACTU President, Bob Hawke, into a safe seat in Melbourne.

I know Peta Credlin is not Bob Hawke, but I also know there is a lot of unease about the state Labor government, how it was responsible for the greatest catastrophe Australia has seen in terms of lives lost. If, suddenly, there was a new Opposition Leader who took it right up to Chairman Dan, things could happen.

I don't subscribe to the view that because Labor's hold is so strong it will take two elections. Don't forget that in 2006 Labour won 55 out of 88 seats in the Lower House and then lost the next election. The Andrews government currently has 55 seats...

2006 was Baillieu's first election and it was a loss, but a net gain of seats. 2010 was his second election.

The Greens hold 3 seats (so the Libs/Nats only hold 27 between them, they had 32 in 2006.)

So they're 5 seats worse off, they'll go with a new leader and as far as I can tell, they don't have any consistent policy positions carried over except that foreigners are bad and scary and kids even worse?

It's not impossible, Newman in Qld is the only person who has lost from such a position before, though. And he was way more destructive than Kennett.

Credlin was so good working with abbott that the libs sacked her arse.

There is a reason why she is working for a propaganda network and not in govenment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2006 was Baillieu's first election and it was a loss, but a net gain of seats. 2010 was his second election.

The Greens hold 3 seats (so the Libs/Nats only hold 27 between them, they had 32 in 2006.)

So they're 5 seats worse off, they'll go with a new leader and as far as I can tell, they don't have any consistent policy positions carried over except that foreigners are bad and scary and kids even worse?

It's not impossible, Newman in Qld is the only person who has lost from such a position before, though. And he was way more destructive than Kennett.
Hmm. Showing your colours. Remember the maxim. Oppositions rarely win. Governments get voted out.

If Kennett was "destructive" how will voters feel when reminded that Andrews was responsible for 800+ deaths? That's what will happen

ALP know this.

Plus you actually have to start doing some work (you know, develop policy in a state party increasingly dominated by Christian fundies) and answer questions. Why would she bother?

Hmm. Showing your colours. Remember the maxim. Oppositions rarely win. Governments get voted out.

If Kennett was "destructive" how will voters feel when reminded that Andrews was responsible for 800+ deaths? That's what will happen

Kennett closed my Primary School while I was in about Grade 4. There were rallies at which I was in attendance. Then when Newman was in charge in Qld, I was also there and I watched all the decent Govt employees take voluntary redundancies, move to the private sector with a big payout then contract back to Govt charging twice as much. But at least they all had nice new boats. (I was a consultant and a bunch of them joined my firm).

Some of those neo-liberal decisions have real-life impacts. Some are negatively on people (including me), others are counter-productive to their stated goal.

What's the other maxim, one death is a tragedy, 800 is a statistic.

NSW Govt caused a couple of dozen deaths with Ruby Princess, Aus Govt lack of Quarantine could be blamed for them all.

I don't think there are many people who think the State Govt is solely responsible for 800 deaths.

48% of Victorians think Andrews is doing a "Good" job with COVID and only 42% think Morrison is doing a "good" job.

I think if you polled on this question:

Would the VIC LNP have handled COVID better than Andrews did, you'd get about 70% saying "No". (about the same number said ANdrews was doing a good job before this latest lockdown)

Last edited:
What's the other maxim, one death is a tragedy, 800 is a statistic.

NSW Govt caused a few hundred deaths with Ruby Princess, Aus Govt lack of Quarantine could be blamed for them all.

I don't think there are many people who think the State Govt is solely responsible for 800 deaths.

48% of Victorians think Andrews is doing a "Good" job with COVID and only 42% think Morrison is doing a "good" job.

I think if you polled on this question:

Would the VIC LNP have handled COVID better than Andrews did, you'd get about 70% saying "No". (about the same number said ANdrews was doing a good job before this latest lockdown)
Source? I recall it being about 27-28 deaths.
Sources - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-53802816

For the sake of maintaining a high standard of discourse, its very important we don't mislead when trying to make a point :)

She didn't take Dan Andrews apart at all. She played the politics as much as he did.

Only in the feeble minds of some who weren't listening.

We have very few decent journalists in this country. And none, now that Leigh Sales has lost the plot that hold our political leaders to any account at all.

Source? I recall it being about 27-28 deaths.
Sources - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-53802816

For the sake of maintaining a high standard of discourse, its very important we don't mislead when trying to make a point :)
You're correct, I'll change it. Like I said, the tragedy has become statistics.

The findings in NSW were that the Health Department completely failed and was directly responsible.

The Commission in Vic waffled about private security guards for a few weeks and that HQ is not effective enough (and still isn't), but all states are still using it and there isn't a viable alternative yet.
Even if Andrews was the one who decided to use Private Security, it wouldn't change the fact that HQ still leaks like a sieve nation-wide.

There is a difference in the way they report based on which party is in charge.

There are also a couple of differences in these cases as well. The variants where different with the NSW case being the more infectious one. They also had cctv footage of the NSW case which gave them more solid evidence than the assumption made in Victoria

Who said that? Certainly not what Bill Hayden thought.
Yeah, and Bill Shorten thought he was an absolute certainty last election. He'd already chosen the new wallpaper!

Fraser miscalculated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back