Vic How would you rate Daniel Andrews' performance as Victorian Premier? - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The horse has bolted there. With a vaccum in federal leadership, reining in the premiers is going to be a difficult task. There's clearly an appetite from some people for the government to go harder.

the issue is I think people dont realize that after LD6 failed, minor increases arent enough.

the steps needed would be in a word draconian

the issue is I think people dont realize that after LD6 failed, minor increases arent enough.

The appetite is still there judging from social media posts. I don't know many In the real world who want to go down that path.

Imagine going from not fining people spreading the virus in Coles to martial law. Horse has bolted in Hume.

shutting down construction wont change anything. with kids and families and essential workers (like logistics) being key spreaders, shutting down construction would slow things IMO, but not reverse them

the only way to go "more" is martial law, but thats not something we want he (it would change our society forever)
If you are not shutting down construction where it is spreading widely then why are other occupations that are less likely to spread it still shutdown?

They abandoned localised restrictions because they did such a stupid job of it last time they’ve decided it couldn’t work.

It sounded like a great idea and then I saw the map and it was obvious it was going to failure. They had 2 postcodes in lockdown then 3 adjoining not, then another one in then next 2 not, then the next 2 postcodes in…

It was a giant clusterfu** typical of the Victorian government’s response to this entire pandemic.

It also needs to have stricter rules on who is an essential worker. Construction workers being allowed to cross the city from hotspots to areas that were Covid free is what’s ******* things up the most. Same thing with postcode lockdowns, they were letting so many people out for non essential work to spread it far and wide.

So (and please correct me where I am misinterpreting you) you would look at lockdown of Greater melbourne to north and west of the Yarra, including the CBD.
You would define essential worker as
- health care worker, including aged care
- food service worker (supermarkets, food shops - but not sit down service resteraunt - take away only)
- tradespeople doing essential repairs to houses (would you allow them to complete houses being built that have been sold as people waiting for these may be forking out of their own pocket in rental while construction is delayed) - aren't the construction sites involved with spread the big sites/ apartment buildings/ schools. Or limit the work to inside the infected areas (Covid at risk tradeperson can only work on covid at risk site in this northwestern area)
- transport (buses/ trains/ trams - maybe on permanent sunday timetable.. ?Ubers)
- logistics (movement of goods, especially foodstuffs)
- child care worker for the aforementioned

have I missed any essential or put in something not essential?

Imagine going from not fining people spreading the virus in Coles to martial law. Horse has bolted in Hume.

thats kinda the issue. if you look at what is breaking down on enforcement, the options are not great:

1) people dont pay fines
replace fines with jail terms

2) people lie to CT's
make mobile, bank, and social media data open to police and CT's on an unrestricted basis - they can check anyone they suspect is a contact of a contact without limit

3) people push the line of the restrictions
remove interpretation. If you're 100m outside your zone, you're sanctioned. If you are taking out the bins, and walk on the footpath without a mask, you're sanctioned.

4) essential workers are infecting people
essential workers are made to live in quarantine at a controlled facility if they wish to continue holding a job

5) police refuse to enforce restrictions
bring in private contractors

none of these are remotely close to good things to do

If you are not shutting down construction where it is spreading widely then why are other occupations that are less likely to spread it still shutdown?

it wasnt spreading previously in construction (or logistics) as I mentioned before - it now is.

again, not sure if its an age of the workers issue, or if covidsafe standards are dropping onsite/at work.

if you had a gun to my head, i'd guess worker age. most companies i deal with a terrified of lockdowns of their site, and at corporate level they are insisting on pretty rigorous compliance. That said, like WHS I wouldnt be shocked if there is a split between what corporate is wanting and whats happening on site.

thats kinda the issue. if you look at what is breaking down on enforcement, the options are not great:

1) people dont pay fines
replace fines with jail terms

2) people lie to CT's
make mobile, bank, and social media data open to police and CT's on an unrestricted basis - they can check anyone they suspect is a contact of a contact without limit

3) people push the line of the restrictions
remove interpretation. If you're 100m outside your zone, you're sanctioned. If you are taking out the bins, and walk on the footpath without a mask, you're sanctioned.

4) essential workers are infecting people
essential workers are made to live in quarantine at a controlled facility if they wish to continue holding a job

5) police refuse to enforce restrictions
bring in private contractors

none of these are remotely close to good things to do
I'd hope to have 100k+ at the next freedom protest if we went down that path.

I'd hope to have 100k+ at the next freedom protest if we went down that path.

it wont. for all the bullshit of "dictator dan has turned us into china!!!", we are so far from the measures they introduced its not funny

FFS people are freaking out about a vaccine passport - we are a long way from welding doors

it wont. for all the bullshit of "dictator dan has turned us into china!!!", we are so far from the measures they introduced its not funny

FFS people are freaking out about a vaccine passport - we are a long way from welding doors
There's a lot more acceptance of heavy-handed governance than I've previously seen during my lifetime. It's like 9/11 on roids.

You know my stance.

There's a lot more acceptance of heavy-handed governance than I've previously seen during my lifetime. It's like 9/11 on roids.

You know my stance.

our lifetime has been a golden age however

(Log in to remove this ad.)

whereas location based measures didn't work in melbourne last time. Why would there be appetite to try again?
Because Sutton and Andrews failed dismally in all aspects in 2020 so maybe trying something that has worked elsewhere would be a nice change to continuing to do the same things which is not working.

Lol sorry, but I love this.

Ned_Flanders lol.. told you someone moved them. But the council has now put even bigger ones back on but hanging off over the edge and frankly not looking all that safe. All this in a suburb with literally 1 active case.

The kids are all over the park sharing shovels and digging out their own jumps. The council is actually increasing the risk of people ending up in hospital because the risk of covid is absolutely negligible.. but I guess they have to try to do something.

Seems like the public have had enough and compliance is out the window. Cops have no interest in enforcing this stuff when most of them are probably against it now anyway.

Some sort of plan might help but I can imagine Brett is pushing for 80+% dd to open up. Dan is looking up at schools back in NSW in mid-late October and an 80% target here means basically means accepting no school till February. I reckon a lot of Prep kids will just repeat if that plays out.

Ned_Flanders lol.. told you someone moved them. But the council has now put even bigger ones back on but hanging off over the edge and frankly not looking all that safe. All this in a suburb with literally 1 active case.

The kids are all over the park sharing shovels and digging out their own jumps. The council is actually increasing the risk of people ending up in hospital because the risk of covid is absolutely negligible.. but I guess they have to try to do something.

Seems like the public have had enough and compliance is out the window. Cops have no interest in enforcing this stuff when most of them are probably against it now anyway.

Some sort of plan might help but I can imagine Brett is pushing for 80+% dd to open up. Dan is looking up at schools back in NSW in mid-late October and an 80% target here means basically means accepting no school till February. I reckon a lot of Prep kids will just repeat if that plays out.

was there yesterday. you can see one has been spun (concrete scratched) but the rest have been moved (rather than just having them all along the alex on the jump)

and for the shovels, you need to get out ;) kids have been doing this for years along anniversary and gardiners creek and parts of sotchmans creek

The skipper of my cricket team spending his 5th week in isolation after visiting a Tier 1 site for less than 5 minutes. Was doubled dosed close to 4 months ago, and he and his wife both work in medical science which is a pretty important field right now. Surely a common sense rule needs to apply here where once they both test negative, business as usual.

Because Sutton and Andrews failed dismally in all aspects in 2020 so maybe trying something that has worked elsewhere would be a nice change to continuing to do the same things which is not working.
again, give me reasons why it would work here when it didn't last time here.

Do Melbourne VCE students who've endured far more than country bumpkins have to compete with them on an equal basis?

Something of interest, but not overly surprising, in The Age today regarding the genomic data in Victoria.

As The Sunday Age reported, the Victorian outbreak has had at least two incursions – Sydney removalists travelling on July 8 and a Hume family that visited Coles on July 10 – and “most likely” a third.
Dr Norelle Sherry, a genomics expert with the Doherty Institute, said analysis of samples indicated there was likely another introduction of the virus, separate to the older outbreak.

Another theory is that it is not a new source of infection, but a subtle change in genomics that has occurred locally as the virus moved from one person to the next.
Obviously, the third potential incursion mattered, especially as it was undetected and overlapping with the other outbreaks.

Hopefully the data will be released publicly soon, but that certainly sounds like its pointing to another person coming into Victoria from NSW while infected. Some of the major outbreaks below. The more recent outbreaks show far more samples, which is why Vic Wave 2 and Avalon outbreak in NSW are now so minor on the tree.

genomics ausnz.png

And regarding Queensland's Hotel Quarantine from the same article.

She was not convinced Queensland had no undetected cases in the community, given it had 13 incursions of the virus from its own hotel quarantine system in six weeks.

:drunk:

It’s a little different as construction workers can’t work from home.
The construction workers near my place don't even know how to use masks or read council noise restrictions

So (and please correct me where I am misinterpreting you) you would look at lockdown of Greater melbourne to north and west of the Yarra, including the CBD.
You would define essential worker as
- health care worker, including aged care
- food service worker (supermarkets, food shops - but not sit down service resteraunt - take away only)
- tradespeople doing essential repairs to houses (would you allow them to complete houses being built that have been sold as people waiting for these may be forking out of their own pocket in rental while construction is delayed) - aren't the construction sites involved with spread the big sites/ apartment buildings/ schools. Or limit the work to inside the infected areas (Covid at risk tradeperson can only work on covid at risk site in this northwestern area)
- transport (buses/ trains/ trams - maybe on permanent sunday timetable.. ?Ubers)
- logistics (movement of goods, especially foodstuffs)
- child care worker for the aforementioned

have I missed any essential or put in something not essential?

NSW went to healthcare and emergency service workers were the only ones allowed out of the LGA.

Transport and logistics you’d possibly look at with vaccinated drivers and daily tests.

Within the lockdown areas they can allow more essential workers to continue working but they aren’t allowed out.

A lot would be on businesses to ensure they are not allowing people inside that area coming to work outside with massive fines for any company that allows a worker to come to work from the extreme risk zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back