Roast Hun asks questions - heat is on

Remove this Banner Ad

Teffy you remind me of brad

Both delusional and stupid a fine combination

Yep, I must be Brad. Nothing makes sense if that's not the case.

They have both been part of our underperforming midfield this year and frankly its performed better with out them.

It was better against the only side worse than us, sure. Not sure there's been enough improvement to justify playing Ziebell/Higgins/Cunnington at every available opportunity though. That just smacks of panic and self-preservation.

As for Simpkin, I just found that an odd comparison, as if anything he's an example of someone we have given senior footy to regardless of form, and it got to a point where his confidence was completely shot before we finally allowed him to play VFL.

I think the clear message is that young blokes won't get a game unless their defensive side is up to scratch. Which is fine, except the value of LDU and Ahern is never going to be defensively, and we don't exactly hold that standard for our current senior midfielders unless it's their natural instinct. If that had been our approach under Scott's entire tenure then we would probably have been more successful, but it hasn't at all.

I think the biggest frustration (for me anyway) is the seemingly inconsistent approach to selection and standards, which isn't exactly a new thing for Scott.

It was better against the only side worse than us, sure. Not sure there's been enough improvement to justify playing Ziebell/Higgins/Cunnington at every available opportunity though. That just smacks of panic and self-preservation.

As for Simpkin, I just found that an odd comparison, as if anything he's an example of someone we have given senior footy to regardless of form, and it got to a point where his confidence was completely shot before we finally allowed him to play VFL.

I think the clear message is that young blokes won't get a game unless their defensive side is up to scratch. Which is fine, except the value of LDU and Ahern is never going to be defensively, and we don't exactly hold that standard for our current senior midfielders unless it's their natural instinct. If that had been our approach under Scott's entire tenure then we would probably have been more successful, but it hasn't at all.

I think the biggest frustration (for me anyway) is the seemingly inconsistent approach to selection and standards, which isn't exactly a new thing for Scott.

I really thought he was average earlier this year and needed a spell but that's it. I wouldn't have dropped him last year. He dropped a bit of form toward the end of the season but was hardly on his own.

See the bold? I often wonder if you had the chance and got honest, candid responses from Scott about what he's learned that the lack of defensive pressure is something of an earlier failure in his coaching and he's learned from it and is trying to develop that side of his coaching.

He didn't dump it on Maj. He was asked in a private forum if what happened with maj had any bearing on the year so far and answered honestly. It seems obvious it did so he'd be stupid to deny it as well.
Public or private, point still stands, you don’t put at the feet your own failures especially someone going thru mental issues.
The team weren’t prepared for round 1 and it’s not the first year. They’ve been playing catch up ever since. For a list that was looking to sept, now not, that firmly falls at the feet of the coach. Not a 50 game player.

Last edited:
Public or private, point still stands, you don’t put at the feet your own failures especially someone going they mental issues.
The team weren’t prepared for round 1 and it’s not the first year. They’ve been playing catch up ever since. For a list that was looking to sept, now not, that firmly falls at the feet of the coach. Not a 50 game player.

Go back and re read what Billy Not Really said. He was specifically asked if Maj's injuries had an effect on the teams preparation, at a private event where members were invited. He didn't come out and say "Its all on Maj" in public to protect himself. He just acknowledged it had an effect.

Go back and re read what Billy Not Really said. He was specifically asked if Maj's injuries had an effect on the teams preparation, at a private event where members were invited. He didn't come out and say "Its all on Maj" in public to protect himself. He just acknowledged it had an effect.

That's fair.

Ive reread page 3, still think it should have never come into consideration. It’s one of those things, you can think, but as a senior person at the club, never voice.

Do you think if Maj was playing all of a sudden, our handball happy game plan would disappear or our entries into the forward 50 would remarkably improve?

Last edited:
See the bold? I often wonder if you had the chance and got honest, candid responses from Scott about what he's learned that the lack of defensive pressure is something of an earlier failure in his coaching and he's learned from it and is trying to develop that side of his coaching.

I'd be concerned if he's only figured that out a decade in, but really we've had periods throughout his tenure where our pressure has been very, very good. But it is never for more than a month or two at a time. Teams with high endurance mids who spread from the contest and can run defensively are always successful - it's not like this is a new revelation. We unfortunately still have a system that is too reliant on individuals, and without Jacobs our whole midfield falls apart defensively because he covers so many deficiencies.

Regardless, any change in approach/standards should apply across the board, not just to younger players or new recruits. Adelaide dropped Gibbs because the defensive side of his game wasn't up to scratch, despite gaudy numbers. We however won't even move Higgins out of the midfield.

Public or private, point still stands, you don’t put at the feet your own failures especially someone going they mental issues.

Amazing is'nt it, every year we haven't been prepared! All this high performance s**t BS was spruiking has turned out to be bogus.

Ive reread page 3, still think it should have never come into consideration. It’s one of those things you can think but as a senior person at the club, never voice.

Yeah. Look I get what you are saying and do agree to a point. Definitely about saying that stuff in public. Everyone would know it had an effect especially Maj and publicly noting that may guilt trip him a bit. Even tho I'd bet anything he felt he had no other option but to act that way at the time.

Its like Adam Goodes and that kid from Collingwood. On one hand letting what the crowd says get to you is very poor footy (unless it inspires you to play better) in every single case. You should never publicly acknowledge what the crowd said during a game. On the other hand * racist scum.

Anyway you can't draw a line between what happened with Maj and where we are now and I don't think that was ever the intention. There is nothing wrong with acknowledging the effect that had on everyone at the time. Quite possibly its the answer the person who asked the question was looking for.

I've definitely been thinking that very thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be concerned if he's only figured that out a decade in, but really we've had periods throughout his tenure where our pressure has been very, very good. But it is never for more than a month or two at a time. Teams with high endurance mids who spread from the contest and can run defensively are always successful - it's not like this is a new revelation. We unfortunately still have a system that is too reliant on individuals, and without Jacobs our whole midfield falls apart defensively because he covers so many deficiencies.

Regardless, any change in approach/standards should apply across the board, not just to younger players or new recruits. Adelaide dropped Gibbs because the defensive side of his game wasn't up to scratch, despite gaudy numbers. We however won't even move Higgins out of the midfield.

I think he figured it out years ago. There were similar comments about Wood the year Boomer Spud and Drew were let go. But when Wood played that year my memory is he went hard at the ball and players who had it. Something he hadn't done earlier.

And I do agree about the standards for older players. Maybe he figures old dogs aren't worth wasting time on to teach new tricks.

Yep, I must be Brad. Nothing makes sense if that's not the case.

All people who’ve been accused of being/resembling Brad over the duration please”like” this post. I think when Snake gets tarred with that particular brush, we’ve definitely arrived at a watershed moment.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thats correct, I can't remember if the subject was brought on by me asking about how forward structure or someone mentioned Maj specifically. But he never inferred that it was all on him, just important to structure, preparation and alot I'm sure was changed in the aftermath waiting to see how long he'd be out for if at all returning.

To what extent that has affected things, I don't know exactly but if I was to guess it'd be a fair bit. I just find the entire pre-season matchups and into the first couple rounds just being caught with our pants down on strategy & approach, few things visibly was changing once the season began. Leads me to believe we came in unprepared or something.

Speak for your ******* self.

The media doesn’t run our club.
I didn't say it did you idiot.

You think the club wants articles like that basically saying our season is over after round 9? Puts the heat on all areas of the club, which I have no issue with when the performance has been as poor as it has been this year,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back