Hurley signs for 5 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Harsh.
Lost passion for the game. 31 years old. Tough decision as he is the focus of the media. Depression.

He has paid his deserved penalty and missed the prime of his career.

(Unlike a certain sexual offender who was ultimately convicted of indecent assault who continued to play AFL. It took 10 years for them to be held accountable for their actions. - They were also the focus of the media, taunts etc remember?!)
Firstly, the Milne comparison is ridiculous and completely irrelevant to what's being discussed.

Secondly, "harsh"? WTF? Not sure how anyone could read that question as criticism of Jobe.

The reason I asked the question was due to one of the numerous posts in this thread proclaiming confidently that these players will be returning "desperate to play".

Clearly that's not true with Jobe but he's also probably the only one that could afford to walk away from the game now (being older).

What's to say others won't return jaded rather than refreshed?

Firstly, the Milne comparison is ridiculous and completely irrelevant to what's being discussed.

Secondly, "harsh"? WTF? Not sure how anyone could read that question as criticism of Jobe.

The reason I asked the question was due to one of the numerous posts in this thread proclaiming confidently that these players will be returning "desperate to play".

Clearly that's not true with Jobe but he's also probably the only one that could afford to walk away from the game now (being older).

Apologies - I misinterpreted the intent behind your queries about Watson. My mistake.:oops:

Watson if he returned would still be the main focus of the tabloid press and the constant point of reference for the ASADA era.

The whole "desperate to play" ('passion to play', 'heart and soul' etc) theme stems from John Worsfold's comments on Channel 9 and were reported in an article in the Herald Sun on May 17:

“HEART and soul” are the only things Essendon coach John Worsfold wants to see in banned skipper Jobe Watson if he decides to return to the club.

Watson’s feelings were made clear last season when he spoke of his diminishing enjoyment of the game as the club’s doping saga took its toll.

Worsfold caught up with the suspended captain before he travelled overseas and said he only wants him back if he has the true passion to play.
“I didn’t ask him to come back because it doesn’t matter what I want, it’s really what Jobe wants,” he said on Channel 9 on Monday night.

“In the end, I left it with him saying, ‘Jobe, it’s your life. If you want to come back and play you know we would love to have you there, but you’ve got to really have that passion to come back.

“‘It’s too hard, the game challenges you in too many ways to not have your full heart and soul in it’.”
But for Worsfold, there’ll be no doing things by halves.

“This is their footy career and their life. If they want to play for Essendon in the future they need to be absolutely clear that’s really what they want to do,” he said.

“They can’t come back second-guessing.

“That’s why I’m really pleased for the guys who have come out with that commitment to be back there next year — they know they’re ready to play for the Essendon footy club heart and soul again.

“I’m pretty confident all the other guys will feel the same.”

Yes I know the Herald Sun is a tabloid rag but the direct quotes give some insight into what Worsfold and the club expect from the returning players. The returning players would be left in no doubt as to what they are signing up to. I don't think that Worsfold is the type of person who would accept anything less than desperation and commitment from his players.

In regards to Watson, lets not kid ourselves. If Watson returned he would be the main focus of the boos and the media. He has moved on with his life and may not wish to go back to the AFL circus. In a perverse way it may be better for the club if he didn't return (same as Hird) as this would give a more 'fresh start' look to the team. He would effectively be the sacrificial lamb of the ASADA debacle and like Hird, associated with the past and not the present.

Make no mistake, there are no winners in this debacle.
I like many other supporters was outraged by performance enhancing drugs/supplements being introduced into our code of football. Similarly I understand the dilemma and hurt faced by Essendon supporters in supporting their club to the hilt throughout this period and being betrayed by them at the same time. The punishment is over - time to move on.

What is really sad is that as football lovers we missed out on watching a star player like Jobe Watson play in his prime. I would hate to see him return half-hearted and play a lesser brand of football than we all know he is capable of. I fear that Watson will always be haunted by the ASADA era and that we never got to truly celebrate and appreciate his skill as a footballer.

I would like to be able to boo Essendon again, not because they are "drug cheats" but because they are a competitive team who I love to hate based on previous history and rivalries.
So BOO you black-and-red bastards - I look forward to ANZAC day next year.!!:thumbsu:

Last edited:
W

Well let's put it this way. You jumped in on a conversation between Lance and I and are lost. To catch you up to understand will take some time and the pay off won't be great. Up to you.
Agree - I'm completely lost in your nonsensical argument. You win, but we get Hurley so I don't mind.

Yeah you are absolutely correct, and proof of that is there are no threads on all the other clubs re-signings.
Must just be others don't care, or it's just the norm hey?
Each to their own, what other clubs do is their own concern. I'm just rapt at this signing and looking forward to seeing my team perform without the strain of the last 4 years.

Each to their own, what other clubs do is their own concern. I'm just rapt at this signing and looking forward to seeing my team perform without the strain of the last 4 years.
That's nice, but my point all along is, fans have been talking BS, you only need to look at the 1st 4 words of the OP, this thread has more to so with throwing it into peoples faces.
The signing is just the smoke screen

That's nice, but my point all along is, fans have been talking BS, you only need to look at the 1st 4 words of the OP, this thread has more to so with throwing it into peoples faces.
The signing is just the smoke screen
Nah, the overwhelming emotions of Essendon supporters at Hurley's re-signing are relief, joy and hope. And the opposition supporters who have been consoling themselves about their own clubs' fortunes by comparing them favourably against the turmoil and carnage at the EFC over the last 4 years ("at least we're not drug cheats") don't like seeing happy, optimistic Essendon supporters.

Calling our happiness at this news, "throwing it in people's faces" says more about you than any reference to the exodus does about the OP. There could well have been an exodus and the fact there hasn't been is phenomenal news for us.

Nah, the overwhelming emotions of Essendon supporters at Hurley's re-signing are relief, joy and hope. And the opposition supporters who have been consoling themselves about their own clubs' fortunes by comparing them favourably against the turmoil and carnage at the EFC over the last 4 years ("at least we're not drug cheats") don't like seeing happy, optimistic Essendon supporters.

Calling our happiness at this news, "throwing it in people's faces" says more about you than any reference to the exodus does about the OP. There could well have been an exodus and the fact there hasn't been is phenomenal news for us.
I don't doubt the fans emotions one bit, it's got nothing to do with the point i was making though.
"Fans saying they don't care what anyone else say"
Well the 1st 4 words of the OP, seriously proves it to be BS.

I admire Hurley's loyalty. Obviously he won't play for a premiership in the next 5 years, but I do admire his willingness to stay the course.

I don't doubt the fans emotions one bit, it's got nothing to do with the point i was making though.
"Fans saying they don't care what anyone else say"
Well the 1st 4 words of the OP, seriously proves it to be BS.
Seriously, as an Essendon supporter, I don't care what other supporters think or say about how unseemly the response of Essendon supporters to this news has been. It's just fun to post knowing that Hurley will be running out in the sash next year.

They may well return jaded JD, but i'm sure they'll feel relieved in some way to finally be playing football without this saga hanging over their heads for four years. TBH i can see that out weighing the feeling of being jaded....I hope!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree - I'm completely lost in your nonsensical argument. You win, but we get Hurley so I don't mind.
Again you came in on a conversation between another poster and myself having no clue as to the background of it, trying to be the hero of the Essendon cause. There is no argument from my side, the only thing that is nonsensical is your continued effort to have some sort of relevance.

Again you came in on a conversation between another poster and myself having no clue as to the background of it, trying to be the hero of the Essendon cause. There is no argument from my side, the only thing that is nonsensical is your continued effort to have some sort of relevance.
So stop arguing!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back