Mighty Eagles

Premiership Player
Mar 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
We will not win enough games to make the 8, unless our midfield improves.

Our decision making and inefficiency with the footy hasn't improved in the last 3 years. In particular we've shown too much faith in Priddis and Rosa with little improvement.

I think Ebert, Swift and Shuey will only get better with time and Kerry will find his feet with more match time.

We need to start to consider playing Shannon Hurn in the midfield. He's a tough nut and has a huge work rate.

Just imagine someone of his physique running through the packs and feeding off from Cox and Naitanui.

Food for thought.

Nope.

Been discussed. Won't happen and he is by far his most damaging off the half back line because he has the speed, strength and space to be very dangerous. If you had of paid attention to his games, Hurn's worst time is when he has very limited space because he struggles to cleanly dispose of the footy once he is tackled...

He is too important down back.

Remember the Port NAB cup game? The one where we couldn't get it out of defense from the kick ins? No one else can get us 100 meters down field like Hurn can.

I think we missed Rosa's running more than anyone wants to admit last night.

I reckon he's 12 months away from completely understanding the tempo of the game at this level and moving up the ground, but you don't want to move blokes too early, and he's only 22.
Peter Sumich

No thankyou. I appreciate the need to get quality disposal into the midfield, but the first kick out of defense is just so important. We need Hurn performing that duty. We need a player that can pin-point a team mate surrounded by opposition in the middle of the ground and Hurn is the only Eagle that can do that.

there would be no net benefit to WCE. weakening run from backline severely isnt the answer. not sure why people want to immediately take players out of positions they made their name (ie. hurn, lecras) to midfield. our midfield efficiency would improve but we wouldnt score many and get many scored against us. only way this will happen is if there is a near perfect replacement and there isnt. plenty maybes though.

Yes I would make the move , promote Hams and Striijk as backline options to help cover Hurn plus Sheppard play back in secomd half of season .
We will cop some floggings in the backline but worth the risk and gives opportunity to experienced and good WAFL players plus Schofield and Spangher can play back . A Selwood and S Selwood are suited and experienced backs , West Coast coaching staff
need to be more attacking to some degree !

We will not win enough games to make the 8, unless our midfield improves.

Our decision making and inefficiency with the footy hasn't improved in the last 3 years. In particular we've shown too much faith in Priddis and Rosa with little improvement.

I think Ebert, Swift and Shuey will only get better with time and Kerry will find his feet with more match time.

We need to start to consider playing Shannon Hurn in the midfield. He's a tough nut and has a huge work rate.

Just imagine someone of his physique running through the packs and feeding off from Cox and Naitanui.

Food for thought.

Exactly, Ebert, Swift, Shuey and co will only get better with time. So give them the time playing the in the spot you want them to succeed in. You've started another thread bemoaning our backline (albeit as it relates to stopping talls), yet want to shift Hurn out of it?

Were you happy with any part of our line up last night?

You've started another thread bemoaning our backline

Mate you need an appointment with an optometrist if you think I was bemoaning our backline.

I didn't given an opinon at all on our backline, I simply asked:

1) do you think we've got the right personnel in the backline?

2) Glass, Brown and McKenzie, can they shut down 2 or more gun forwards in 2010?

3) Do you think Brown and McKenzie are going to be kpp

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, though I don't think we should stop at Hurn. I think we should move every player to the midfield and get ride of the forward and backline all together.

It would save a lot of threads at least.

One thing Hurn can do is to push up hard of his man and expose him by attacking forward of centre/kicking more goals.

But Hurn is perfect where he is at, for now.

The crying has already started. Some people aren't happy unless we win every game. Some people just don't seem to be able to grasp what rebuilding is.

s**t thread.

i thought we were good despite the loss. we lost concetration in last quarter. Our effieiceny was higher than brisbanes which suggests decision making is more of an issue than skill set. and that will be fixed with expereince.

doomsdayers need to calm down. hurn is alot more important where he is. anyone with 2 eyes could see how his kicking from back set us up a number of times. cant do that if he is already up the field can he?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back