Hypocrisy of The Left - part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In fairness to him, that’s what this thread has degenerated into.

They bring some crap trawled from the worst part of the internet, declare the left are banning something or someone, it gets disproven, and they move to the next one.
They are simply in a battle to maintain their own identity.

"If we were driven by the pursuit of accuracy above all else, Bayesian reasoning would be how we updated all of our beliefs, but we aren’t and it isn’t. That’s because humans are motivated reasoners. We interpret facts in ways that best meet our goals, and our goals are not always the pursuit of the truth.

"In a professional domain like medicine, science, academia, or journalism, people are trained to pursue accuracy, to operate within a framework that helps them overcome other motivations. But we are not always motivated by such empirically lofty goals. Outside of fact-based professions, we are often more motivated to maintain our social support networks, or prevent the decoherence of our identity, or keep our jobs or our bonds with our family or our churches, so if doing so means being wrong about climate change or the moon landing or gun control, that’s an acceptable price to pay to reach such goals."

You used the actual word banned.

Just say it’s not what you meant, correct yourself and move on. You’ll be in a much stronger position, as opposed to Trumpian denial.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I said virtually
Jesus
The reduction in studies of what was known as the classics is common knowledge

Of course the nuance of language escapes those who have been deprived

I said virtually
Jesus
The reduction in studies of what was known as the classics is common knowledge

Of course the nuance of language escapes those who have been deprived
You wanted to include the word "banned" as that gives the impression of an active, central, authoritarian policy.

If you meant marginalised, say that.

And you're wrong anyway.

Really?
Let’s say I can prove that the percentage of students at tertiary level studying Shakespeare has fallen by 50% since1980?
Or if it has fallen 60%
What percentage do I need to prove to obtain your concession.

Isn't tertiary education elective?

Virtually banned. Perhaps you can enlighten us what that means exactly?
Really - there is a considerable body of disputation on the matter studying dead white men.

To persistent with this parsing if words - virtually banned or marginalized - suggests Chief and yourself are simply either ignorant or pig headed.

Being fair minded myself - I choose to believe the later.

Really - there is a considerable body of disputation on the matter studying dead white men.

To persistent with this parsing if words - virtually banned or marginalized - suggests Chief and yourself are simply either ignorant or pig headed.

Being fair minded myself - I choose to believe the later.
You're confusing so many concepts I don't know where to start.

As it's already been pointed out to you, it is still a part of compulsory schooling. I know for a fact it's part of post compulsory schooling at the tertiary level.

It's not parsing words to ask what you meant. Whatever it you did mean, it's been disproven.

Take the L on this one and move on. In this thread, there will be something else soon enough.

So to summarise, 'The Left' hasn't attempted to ban old songs because of their lyrics (isn't what this discussion is about? Some video where someone had an issue with some lyrics in old songs or something? I'm not sure anymore), in a virtual or any other sense.

Lets all move on to the next example of 'things right wingers can't be bothered taking the time to properly understand' then.

You're confusing so many concepts I don't know where to start.

As it's already been pointed out to you, it is still a part of compulsory schooling. I know for a fact it's part of post compulsory schooling at the tertiary level.

It's not parsing words to ask what you meant. Whatever it you did mean, it's been disproven.

Take the L on this one and move on. In this thread, there will be something else soon enough.
It is a much smaller component of secondary schooling - and it is entirely avoidable as an assessment piece at VCE level

Neither our culture or our education system has the gall to ban the classics - but they are most definitely marginalized and therefore virtually banned.

Shakespeare or Greek plays were once a staple of secondary education. They are now slotted in somewhere as an after thought.

This is not necessarily entirely wrong - but it is a fact. So I will take the W - you’ll move on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So to summarise, 'The Left' hasn't attempted to ban old songs because of their lyrics (isn't what this discussion is about? Some video where someone had an issue with some lyrics in old songs or something? I'm not sure anymore), in a virtual or any other sense.

Lets all move on to the next example of 'things right wingers can't be bothered taking the time to properly understand' then.
One of the idiots found a video from Watson who was quoting one article explaining why some songs 'wouldn't fly now'.

That's it.

Isn't tertiary education elective?
It's interesting that we constantly hear from neocons deriding humanities subjects, and now somehow 'the left' are to blame for a suspected (as nobody has actually provided information) drop in numbers in some humanities subjects taken at tertiary level.

Schrodinger's blame game still in full swing I see.

Both Shakespeare and Greek plays are part of the VCE English curriculum.

I keep telling you; you know a shitload less than you think you do. But you keep gobbing off.
I conceded they were but they are not mandatory
You comprehension skills are truly poor.
You appear limited to one sequential thought at a time.

It's interesting that we constantly hear from neocons deriding humanities subjects, and now somehow 'the left' are to blame for a suspected (as nobody has actually provided information) drop in numbers in some humanities subjects taken at tertiary level.

No one blame the left precisely
It’s cultural phenomona

Im trying to follow the thinking of "Humanities subjects are useless, but Im super shitty that nobody is forced to study Shakespeare and Greek plays" line of logic.

Ive reported your microaggression.

5acdc297-9ded-4335-ac3a-b1186309d225

Studying this guy makes me more of a man?

CobbeShakespeare1.jpg

Sounds a bit like religious fundo's crying about boys being allowed to wear a dress to school if they'd wish.

cardinal-pell.jpg

Im trying to follow the thinking of "Humanities subjects are useless, but Im super shitty that nobody is forced to study Shakespeare and Greek plays" line of logic.
I know you struggle with a few subjects
Let me help here
The humanities as we knew them have been eviscerated and replaced with rampant moralizing.

Thus even where the odd Shakespearen text is retained - students are groomed to intrepid the text thru the lens of this effeminate moralizing - this is not some evil plot - the truth is we simply don’t have many teachers who can do the text justice - beyond the rudimentary.

Thus at high school Macbeth it oftendescends into good v evil or worse masculinity v feminity.

And both the profundity and the joy of language is lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back