Roast I don't care who goes anymore

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 7, 2004
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It occurred to me walking out of the ground tonight that i no longer give a s**t which players leave our club anymore.

Our club needs a total clean out. Top to bottom, and i dont give a rats arse who jumps ship anymore

All the coaches can * off too.

KT if you have any ******* balls you will put the ******* broom through our club

Here here, I'm over these sub standard, unprofessional, amateur, lazy, uninspiring, heartless performances! Wholesale changes required! Let's see if any one at our 5year piss poor performing club has the balls to make the HARD decisions! I'm so f##ked off with this clubs lack of leadership in times of drastic need!

Couldn't agree more.

I've posted in the past that if someone offered us a complete reboot in the way the expansion clubs have had one, I'd take it without thinking.

All new football dept, all new playing list. Bring it on.

It would hurt to lose the likes of Brad Ebert and Schulz, but it would be worth it for a total reboot.

I haven't cared about a player enough to be devastated if they moved clubs since Tredrea retired.

Very inclined the agree, there are a few players I actually care about but the rest need a kick up the ass and new attitude.

Are you guys still happy with Chaplin and boak in our leadership group and theifing our salary cap...?...

Just remember these guys next contract will make it tough for us to offer any large sums of money to uncontracted talent

Here here, I'm over these sub standard, unprofessional, amateur, lazy, uninspiring, heartless performances! Wholesale changes required! Let's see if any one at our 5year piss poor performing club has the balls to make the HARD decisions! I'm so f##ked off with this clubs lack of leadership in times of drastic need!
How many years have we been talking about this now?Four maybe 5?
We got rid of Williams but things have only gotten worse.
Perhaps Williams was not the main problem???Sorry Jen!

Are you guys still happy with Chaplin and boak in our leadership group and theifing our salary cap...?...

Just remember these guys next contract will make it tough for us to offer any large sums of money to uncontracted talent

i'm pretty sure chaplin is no longer in our leadership group. He was removed from that at the end of 2010.

Saw this linked on Sports Illustrated earlier today and made me think of Port and if I changed the names it might fit.

Just to put it context Toronto Maple Leafs are one of the old powerhouse clubs which hasn't won the Stanley Cup since 1967 and rarely makes the finals and progresses past the first round of the finals.

I lived in Toronto for the 1988-89 season and they were crap in that season but ok a couple seasons otherside of when I lived there, but basically back then they had done nothing for 20 years and nothing in the 20 years since I was in Toronto.

When I was there an old nutcase named Harold Ballard that owned the team, had done so for around 30 years, had previously managed the team, owned Maple Leaf Gardens and was an interfering hands on owner. Very similar to the way George Steinbrenner used to run the NY Yankees in the 1970's and 1980's until he woke up in the mid 1990's. Ballard also owned the Hamilton Tiger Cats in the CFL.

Toronto is Hockey mad like Melbourne is for Aussie Rules mad. Toronto Maple Leafs is a money making machine selling around $2mil CAN of tickets per game. Its always a sell out and scalpers just buy huge slabs of tickets and flog them off at sometimes a huge premium. There weren't any anti-scalping rules when I lived there and visited again in 1991 and 1997.

Ballard was more interested in making money than winning championships. When he died there was a messy divestment of his ownership thru his family who were fighting his will, and a couple of partners who had options to take over.

In the early 2000's the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan became the majority owner and got up to about 75%-80% stake. All last year they negotiated to sell their stake to Rogers Communication - cable tv group who own the Blue Jays and the Sky dome now called the Rogers Centre - and Bell Canada - the phone company that is the equivalent to Telstra in Eastern Canada. Bell Canada also own part of the Montreal Canadiens. The Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan sold their shares for about $1.25bil and made close to a half a billion dollar profit.

And this has been the Maple Leafs problem, it has been run to make big $$$ and be a middle of the table team and people will always turn up to watch. The Maple Leafs are a money making machine and they have a 30+ year old non compete clause that says no other team can be set up within a 50 mile radius of their ice hockey rink. Imagine if Melbourne only had 1 AFL team and Geelong was the closest you could have another team. It would be a Goliath and if it was privately owned it would be money making machine. But I would expect better management by a one team based Melbourne team.

Hopefully with Rogers Communication being the biggest shareholder hopefully they will concentrate on putting together a champion team not a capital gain and dividend paying profit machine.

Until you have that sea change coming from the top, the Maple Leafs will wallow in mediocrity. Sound familiar? This fan has had enough and I'm starting to feel the same way about Port.

Port is not a money making machine though. If the fans stop caring then the club will fold.

Of course we aren't, but if the management - both on and off field departments, don't fix things up soon, then it will be a franchise (club) I used to know. Many of our fans who used to come to the games have basically been saying this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The worse thing is as a support I really feel helpless to do anything.

Thats why I linked that youtube video. That fan has had enough and feels hopeless because he can't change a thing his club does.

How many years have we been talking about this now?Four maybe 5?
We got rid of Williams but things have only gotten worse.
Perhaps Williams was not the main problem???Sorry Jen!

He absolutely was the main problem, but we let the incompetents and netherdowells around him who were just as guilty remain.

He absolutely was the main problem, but we let the incompetents and netherdowells around him who were just as guilty remain.

We essentially knocked Hitler but left Goebbels, Himmler, Goring and Bormann to run the Reich as before. z0mg why is the Powercaust still happening?!1111
What do you mean we have Dunk? Line in the sand Dunk
Tick tock tick tock, he made a lot of noise but what have we got?

REH, a massive chunk of NFL teams are run along a pretty similar principle.

My team the Raiders were run like this for so long under Al Davis, that as much as I hate to say it, in the end, the only chance for salvation was him dying. Now they can try to do it under a regime that is not unmoving, unwilling to change and not completely run by one person.

Of course we aren't, but if the management - both on and off field departments, don't fix things up soon, then it will be a franchise (club) I used to know. Many of our fans who used to come to the games have basically been saying this.
Yeah, we have a heap of issues, but if we made that sort of money we'd at the very least right now have off-field a hell of a lot better fitness staff, more coaching staff, better coaching staff in general and would have attracted at least a couple of mercenaries by paying 100% of the cap, plus 100% of the allowances, plus would have a few sponsors willing to give players jobs that skate the line between allowed and cap breaches. We wouldn't be a finals contender, but we'd be a finalist again.

TBH when I read that the better comparison would be Carlton from 1996 onwards.

REH, a massive chunk of NFL teams are run along a pretty similar principle.

Sure but how many of them have gone 40 years without a championship and owners who just don't improve things over 4 decades. When you have the provincial teachers pension plan being your majority owners, winning a championship isn't going to be the # 1 priority.

I don't know how many, if any NFL teams have a no competitor within 50 mile radius clause, I suspect there aren't any. But the lack of competition just takes the fans for granted they have no one else to go and watch. Toronto needs a second hockey team to boot the Leafs up the backside. You know a bit like the "state teams" of WA and SA had. Hence the fan making a video out of sheer frustration and the line "I don't want to shell out cash, for a team that's going to burn and crash."

Not arguing with you REH.

FYI Detroit Lions spring to mind. The Yorks running of the 49ers pisses everyone off. Virginia Halas-McCaskey should have sold on the Bears as its a stagnant organisation in need of reinvigoration, but she inherited it, so an entire city of football fans gets held hostage by the sentimentality of one woman.

Basically, NFL teams are run so that each owner can have a regional monopoly. Even New York only has two teams, and they don't have a competitor from New Jersey getting in the way (which they easily could). There isn't even a team in LA proper.

Edit: Forgot to mention the Philadelphia Eagles, who are content with average and have been for a while.. How Andy Reid has held his spot there for 13 years, I really don't know. He's got a great win ratio, but his lineups don't have the flexibility or power to take that extra step.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back