I was there.....Classic moments worth revisiting because nobody will believe it....

Remove this Banner Ad

Inspired by the thread on classic moments that you may have missed, what about reminiscing on some of the incredible moments that you did see:

1995 PF - Geelong v Richmond - Richmond player, Michael Gale grabbed the ball on the wing off a pack. He looked for a lead at HFF, but no one presented. Come to think of it, not even the Geelong players tried to stop him! So Gale decided to kick the ball long, and only then did it dawn on him that the goal Gale had been facing belonged not to Richmond but to Geelong.

At least the mistake did not result in a goal to Geelong, but an unforgettable moment and in a final.

On a sad note this one.
My first time going to an AFL game
Rnd 14 vs Port

Never forget Mick Barlow breaking his leg.
When i saw him in Round 1 that year i knew he would be big. He was never the same after that. Sad he left but love seeing him play well for GC

Inspired by the thread on classic moments that you may have missed, what about reminiscing on some of the incredible moments that you did see:

1995 PF - Geelong v Richmond - Richmond player, Michael Gale grabbed the ball on the wing off a pack. He looked for a lead at HFF, but no one presented. Come to think of it, not even the Geelong players tried to stop him! So Gale decided to kick the ball long, and only then did it dawn on him that the goal Gale had been facing belonged not to Richmond but to Geelong.

At least the mistake did not result in a goal to Geelong, but an unforgettable moment and in a final.

2014 EF - Power v Richmond - Richmond captain wins the toss and chooses to kick into the wind. Fifteen minutes and seven goals later, their season is over.

Playing in finals must really disorient Richmond players.

June 6th, 1999 at the SCG watching Plugger break Gordon Coventry's record of 1299 goals, ironically (or perhaps fittingly) against the Pies. A massive pitch invasion and a truly historic moment that I don't think we'll see again. It was a privilege to be there.

I know it's not quite on topic but damn it, it was a classic moment and I was there.

June 6th, 1999 at the SCG watching Plugger break Gordon Coventry's record of 1299 goals, ironically (or perhaps fittingly) against the Pies. A massive pitch invasion and a truly historic moment that I don't think we'll see again. It was a privilege to be there.

I know it's not quite on topic but damn it, it was a classic moment and I was there.
Thought you were going to raise the pig on the ground story!

I was there when Glen "Galaxy" Coleman ran through the point post at Whitten Oval, snapping it at the base.
Was pretty funny watching a bunch of ground staff take the little league post and try and jam it into the base as a replacement.

I was seated behind the posts about 20 rows back, with a perfect view of the line of the kick, when Chris Tarrant capped off a great comeback by kicking the winning goal after the siren against Adelaide at Footy Park in Round 7, 2003. A point would have drawn the game, but a goal meant a win, and Tarrant did the business.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

September 10, 1994 - the Qualifying Final between Hawthorn and North was the first final to go to extra time. Hawks were undermanned, hung in gamely - fantastic effort. IIRC Dunstall had a long shot to win very late in the game, was punched through to level the scores. I thought we were coming back next week - when my mate reminded me it was extra time I thought 'crap'. Fears realised as we went scoreless in extra time and North ran amok. I think that was the game Carey snapped the goal from a throw-in with 183 Hawks hanging off him.

September 10, 1994 - the Qualifying Final between Hawthorn and North was the first final to go to extra time. Hawks were undermanned, hung in gamely - fantastic effort. IIRC Dunstall had a long shot to win very late in the game, was punched through to level the scores. I thought we were coming back next week - when my mate reminded me it was extra time I thought 'crap'. Fears realised as we went scoreless in extra time and North ran amok. I think that was the game Carey snapped the goal from a throw-in with 183 Hawks hanging off him.
It was David King who had the long shot at goal after the siren. He had to kick it 65m and barely fell short.

Have actually been lucky. Living in Tassie means only get to a few matches each season.
Warwick Capper mark over Chris Langford in a final at VFL Park. Being a young kid and sitting front row right in front of it, still clear in my mind.
Gary Ablett mark over Gary Pert at the G was unforgettable

It was David King who had the long shot at goal after the siren. He had to kick it 65m and barely fell short.

I'd forgotten about that. The shot I'm talking about is about 8:50 in this video:
They don't show the actual kick but they show the kick-in - was just under a minute left.

It's the damn Richmond curse!

Clarkson chucking his whole team down back to prevent Fev kicking 100 for the season.
1 on 1 against our young key forward in Roughead is kind of chucking the whole team down back I guess.

My Carlton supporting mum never stops bringing that up.

1 on 1 against our young key forward in Roughead is kind of chucking the whole team down back I guess.

My Carlton supporting mum never stops bringing that up.
In the first half maybe. As Fev got going and it became apparent 100 goals was on the Hawks focused heavily on Fev.

Clarkson chucking his whole team down back to prevent Fev kicking 100 for the season.
I remember that well, and I must admit I didn't like it. We were about 12 goals in front and preventing him from kicking his hundred achieved nothing. Buddy had already secured the Coleman as well.

Clarko is savage, but that was pointless imo.

I remember that well, and I must admit I didn't like it. We were about 12 goals in front and preventing him from kicking his hundred achieved nothing. Buddy had already secured the Coleman as well.

Clarko is savage, but that was pointless imo.
Still managed to kick 7, great effort regardless!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back