[ICC Cricket World Cup 2003] - West Indies vs New Zealand

Remove this Banner Ad

The West Indies will be on a high after their great first up victory against South Africa in the opening match and will again be tough to beat. Brian Lara, Shivnarine Chanderpaul and Carl Hooper will once again be vital in the middle order and watch for Chris Gayle to cut lose at the top of the innings after unluckilly dragging the ball back onto his stumps in the first game.

New Zealand will be desperate to get a win in this game after their loss to Sri Lanka on Monday. Daniel Vettori must play in my opinion to give them some variety in their bowling and watch for Nathan Astle at the top of the innings who'll be keen to make amends after foolishly running hinself out in the first game.

Should be a good game this one, could have a huge say in who makes it to the Super Six stage at the end of the preliminary matches.

With living legend Carl Hooper leading them, the West Indies are a huge chance to keep up their streak of wins at this World Cup, which currently stands at 1.

NZ had an excellent summer in NZ, although it appears on seamer friendly pitches
Oram continued his fine form of the season
Kiwis would have been disappointed with bowling of Tuffey (who also had good summer) and performances of allrounders Harris and Adams
Decision to leave out Vettori baffling. So far it appears that spin maybe a key in this world cup and Vettori agruably the best left hand spinner in the world
NZ batting line up looks strange with McMillan at 3
I think they will come back.
WIndies bowling a bit short after Dillon.

My heart says Windies, but my head says the Kiwis.

I think the kiwis have a really good one day side, probably in the top four in the world and will bounce back after the loss to the Sri Lankans.

The Windies exceeded even their own expectation with their sublime performance against South Africa and I think the fact that many of their players are so young may have an impact on their mental readiness for this game.

That said, I hope the Windies bat as well as they did the other night - it was the West Indies of old!!!

Daniel Vettori is opening the batting for New Zealand.

Suprising decision given they have significantly better 'pinch hitters' down the order.

Originally posted by phatandphreaky
Daniel Vettori is opening the batting for New Zealand.

Suprising decision given they have significantly better 'pinch hitters' down the order.
It's Vettoris 100th ODI game. Possibly that was a factor.

What a stupid move, why would you open the batting with Vetorri???? I would have opened with Shane Bond before Vettori.

The Kiwis are a very strange bunch aren't they? I wonder if Vettori will open the bowling aswell.

Originally posted by mattyc2422
It's Vettoris 100th ODI game. Possibly that was a factor.

Surely that couldn't be the case. That would be the most arbitary reason ever to change the batting order around.

I would think it more likely that Fleming has decided something has to be done about the weak performance of the batting order and if this means taking drastic measures, so be it.

New Zealand: 3 for 104 (after 23 overs)

Nathan Astle - 30 not out
Chris Cairns - 23 not out

Fleming - 25
Vettori - 13
Styris - 5

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by lamby29
Why did Vettori open?

Vettori was sent out as a pinch hitter, but Fleming got away to a flying start with 25 off 25 balls and Vettori lost his way a little.

New Zealand made 241 off their 50 overs, a pretty good effort in the end after losing quick wickets in the middle of the innings.

New Zealand fairly comfortable winners in the end.

Pool B is shaping up to be fairly interesting, with 5 teams on four points. In contrast, Pool A has only 3 teams with four points with the Zimbabwe vs England outcome pending on the ICC's ruling.

i really don't know what there is to decide.

Zimbabwe 4 points
England 0 points

i mean, even if they played, Zimbabwe would still win so there should be no argument

Remove this Banner Ad

Back