Analysis If Dustin Martin wins a 4th Norm Smith medal and premiership will he be regarded as the greatest player of all time?

If Dustin Martin wins a 4th Norm Smith medal and premiership will he be regarded as the greatest pla

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ron Barrassi, but you know full well he played under Norm Smith, not for a Norm Smith medal, so we'll never know how votes would have gone. But ask any Melbourne supporter how good he was in the many grand finals in which he played

It’s been done to death earlier on the thread. Barassi was a great finals player from all accounts. Was he BOG in half his finals? Did he dominate a string of finals series? We just don’t know.

Spot on, although I'll give Martin 2017.

Even Martin's 2020 when he won the NS was unspectacular - hardly GOAT material - 15th in the AFLCA, not in the top 5 of the MVP, equal 4th in the Brownlow with Dangerfield, but 16 votes behind the winner, didn't even win Richmond's B&F. And yet because he was BOG in the GF somehow we're expected to accept that made him No.1 in the competition in 2020?? Isaac Smith probably isn't top 50 in the competition but he won the NS
lel issac smith compared to dusty hahaha
dusty influences alot more games, thats why he is considered the goat

Spot on, although I'll give Martin 2017.

Even Martin's 2020 when he won the NS was unspectacular - hardly GOAT material - 15th in the AFLCA, not in the top 5 of the MVP, equal 4th in the Brownlow with Dangerfield, but 16 votes behind the winner, didn't even win Richmond's B&F. And yet because he was BOG in the GF somehow we're expected to accept that made him No.1 in the competition in 2020?? Isaac Smith probably isn't top 50 in the competition but he won the NS

You are underselling Martin’s 2020 by far.

Look at the Coaches Votes in finals. Ultimately after losing their first final, Richmond had to win 3 games to win the Premiership.

Martin went BOG BOG BOG. And none of that was downhill skiing either. Especially the last 2 he was instrumental in taking victory off the opposition and re-assigning it to his team.

To me that is pretty clear, the only way you could beat that is to do all that plus be the dominant player of the regular season. As Martin did in 2017, and we have not seen anyone else do to my knowledge. Ever.

Yeah, OK.

Awards that have been in place since 2016 and 1980.

'But awards aren't the be all and end all'.

I'm still waiting for an answer to my question - if it is 'fact' that Martin is the best finals performer of all time, as you stated, who are the others in the top 5 to enable you to be so conclusive in your statement?
i dont care who else is in the top 5. all i know is that dusty is the best finals performer because he has the 3 flags and 3 norms and dominated his other finals too

lol again the salt has effected your brain that much that you cant think straight, awards arent the be all and end all but the overall body of work is. which means for example a brownlow is the sole determining factor but if its combined with a whole host of other accolades then it is.

Look at the Coaches Votes in finals. Ultimately after losing their first final, Richmond had to win 3 games to win the Premiership.

Martin went BOG BOG BOG. And none of that was downhill skiing either. Especially the last 2 he was instrumental in taking victory off the opposition and re-assigning it to his team.

To me that is pretty clear, the only way you could beat that is to do all that plus be the dominant player of the regular season. As Martin did in 2017, and we have not seen anyone else do to my knowledge. Ever.

After reading this thread, I feel like I need to go bog, bog, bog.

i dont care who else is in the top 5. all i know is that dusty is the best finals performer because he has the 3 flags and 3 norms and dominated his other finals too
But if you're saying it's indisputable fact that he's the greatest finals player ever, surely you have other data about others who are also in consideration and therefore why Martin is better and by how much?

Otherwise it would be considered a very shallow statement in the absence of sufficient data to support your assertion.

Now Freddy how many times have I had to tell you young man. Why read threads started by Richmond supporters if you know it is going to upset you so much? ;)

Bog, bog, bog - it was just a line.

I actually enjoy this thread immensely :) .
I've been slightly miffed that mentions of the stand rule, ARC and the shape of Kardinia park seem to be declining, but I live in hope.

lel issac smith compared to dusty hahaha
dusty influences alot more games, thats why he is considered the goat
What's 'LEL"? Laugh excruciatingly loud?

Comprehension isn't a strength of yours?

Dusty influences a lot more games than Isaac Smith? Who said he didn't? But you have to admit being BOG in the 2020 GF and basically doing little else during the year does not make him No.1 in the competition. In fact it is preposterous. And that's why I raised Isaac Smith.

Yes, Martin's a great finals performer, right up there with Barrassi, if not slightly ahead.

But Dusty is not GOAT. I thought the argument was if he won another NS and premiership?

Yes, Martin's a great finals performer, right up there with Barrassi, if not slightly ahead.

He won't be for too long.

You wait until he starts playing some poor ones in these last few years of his career just as he did in last years elimination final.
If other greats are given no excuses when they played a shocker in the twilight of their career, Martin should be no different.

You wait until he starts playing some poor ones in these last few years of his career just as he did in last years elimination final.
If other greats are given no excuses when they played a shocker in the twilight of their career, Martin should be no different.
He's played well in 3 finals series and badly in 5, that's less than 50%, nothing elite about that.

When did Hodge, Matthews and Barassi etc have 5 bad finals series?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's played well in 3 finals series and badly in 5, that's less than 50%, nothing elite about that.

Yeah, but there were 'reasons' for Martin's bad performances....

Too young, too old, lack of fitness, personal issues.

We need to completely disregard any sub-par performances and only consider a small subset of a small subset of games (only finals and only when he is fully fit and in the prime age range, and also discount any Qualifying Finals they lost because they're nothing more than glorified home and away games) when assessing him.

Yeah, OK.

Awards that have been in place since 2016 and 1980.

'But awards aren't the be all and end all'.

I'm still waiting for an answer to my question - if it is 'fact' that Martin is the best finals performer of all time, as you stated, who are the others in the top 5 to enable you to be so conclusive in your statement?
You need to disprove the existence of something for it not to exist.

Yeah, but there were 'reasons' for Martin's bad performances....

Too young, too old, lack of fitness, personal issues.

We need to completely disregard any sub-par performances and only consider a small subset of a small subset of games (only finals and only when he is fully fit and in the prime age range, and also discount any Qualifying Finals they lost because they're nothing more than glorified home and away games) when assessing him.
An injured Royce Hart used to come off the bench in finals and be the match-winner

But poor Dusty needs to be 100% fit to have an impact

It’s been done to death earlier on the thread. Barassi was a great finals player from all accounts. Was he BOG in half his finals? Did he dominate a string of finals series? We just don’t know.
So because your memory is too short, Martin is GOAT by default?

De fault, the two best words in the English language.

ahhaha the salt is strong in this one

What's 'LEL"? Laugh excruciatingly loud?

Comprehension isn't a strength of yours?

Dusty influences a lot more games than Isaac Smith? Who said he didn't? But you have to admit being BOG in the 2020 GF and basically doing little else during the year does not make him No.1 in the competition. In fact it is preposterous. And that's why I raised Isaac Smith.

But Dusty is not GOAT. I thought the argument was if he won another NS and premiership?
pointing out useless things like lel shows that you know i am right.

LOL doing little else? I think youd find that he was also crucial during the year for us, and was AA, but yeah thats "little else"

So let me paraphrase you. You're saying because Martin was BOG in the finals but did next to nothing for the remainder of the year this makes him No.1 player in the competition in 2020?

Forgive me if I am dubious about Martin's GOAT credentials.

badly in 5? 2018 he was best on ground against the hawks

and in between 13-15 during our elimination final losses he was probably one of our few positives in at least two of those losses. Including 29 disp against port. wouldnt call that "badly"

Nice exaggeration

pointing out useless things like lel shows that you know i am right.

LOL doing little else? I think youd find that he was also crucial during the year for us, and was AA, but yeah thats "little else"
Are you as well saying Martin was No.1 player in the entire competition in 2020?

Most of us are saying he's nowhere near the top 20 all-time, and you're saying that's an insult.

Where do you rank him?

Given the bias … both ways … we will never reach agreement.

‘Nowhere near’ the top-20 all-time isn’t consistent with much of the feedback from ex-players, commentators, footy journo’s who express an opinion on the topic, or who provide ‘lists’ relating to the topic.

There was a lot of discussion post-2020 of where Martin sits amongst the greats. Do you have any commentary / articles / lists that places him well outside the top echelon? There must be something out there to back-up your thoughts of ‘most of us’ have him well outside top-20.

Or is the ‘most of us’ you’re referring to pretty much restricted to anonymous opposition supporters who probably can’t stand Richmond and our insufferable supporter base ??

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So let me paraphrase you. You're saying because Martin was BOG in the finals but did next to nothing for the remainder of the year this makes him No.1 player in the competition in 2020?

Forgive me if I am dubious about Martin's GOAT credentials.
I've tried to ask that question before, and the consensus from the Richmond folk is that his finals series in 2020 was so good, that he needn't have bothered taking the field in any of the 17 home and away games, and his season would still have been superior to Neale's, who as an example polled 31 votes in 17 games in the Brownlow (40 adjusted, which would have been a record, by more than 10%)...

I kid you not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back