News Impact of COVID-19 on season 2020 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

The economy was smashed by the idiots that didn't enforce border controls and quarantines earlier and now we need to impose extreme lock downs.

The evidence shows that this virus is killing more than the elderly.

Mostly. Not a difficult word for the majority of people to understand. Thanks for being the exception.

I lived in Taiwan and have been to a few you mentioned. One thing that is common in those Countries especially Taiwan is they wear masks. If you’re driving your scooter, walking around a busy night market or with a slight cold you’ll be wearing a mask.

I had a Coke Colar polar bear mask when I was there haha.

I have started to wear one at the shops. Not too many of us have them on. It’s just a foreign thing for Aussies to wear one. Again...Change. We Aussies struggle to adapt to change. We make out we’re laid back and we are in a way..but deep down we are timid, ultra conservative and very ignorant people.

There was this old bloke on the news complaining about the hotel he’s been sequestered in for 2 weeks, took photos of the “free food” and expressed how bad it is, how “basic” his modern hotel room is and the long bus drive to the hotel. Mate...you’re lucky to be back here not in a body bag. There’s a lot of people in your situation and doing a lot worse. We’ll get you back to your beachside property in bondi in a couple of weeks...again ignorance.

Got a bit sidetracked.
I know TW and Singapore have great Healthcare systems, but that’s news to me that China has a better one than USA. Although I do understand how bad America’s is. It’s not too late for them to switch over to Bernie and Change it up!
Allow me to let you get sidetracked again. How was living in Taiwan? Thinking of going for a work holiday visa there (obviously after the pandemic)

I’ve holidayed there and have good friends there but interested in knowing the difference between being there for a week and a year.

Only 9 new cases in WA today.
Interesting phase. The state government have done a lot to stabilise and enact measures. Still a long way from peak, flu season. Hopefully people keep doing their role and the state government leaves the border closer for 3-6 months

Allow me to let you get sidetracked again. How was living in Taiwan? Thinking of going for a work holiday visa there (obviously after the pandemic)

I’ve holidayed there and have good friends there but interested in knowing the difference between being there for a week and a year.

Could talk forever about it!

Been there 7 times? Lived there for 5 months teaching a bit of English and hanging out. Used to kick the footy at the local rugby club and did my best to teach a few of the locals.

The food, nightmarkets are the bomb. Eat out every night at a different place.

You can drive a scooter around the joint. I only did once a blue moon cause officially you need an intl license. Some of the rules at traffic lights are a bit odd for scooter drivers.

Chinese New Years are pretty insane too!

Viruses change. It might even become less potent as it goes around, they can run out of steam..
Or, cheery thought, it could mutate into something more deadly. There are seemingly two strains of the virus already and reports of younger people (without significant comorbidity or illness history) dying in the US. Although, generally something that transmissible doesn't go full rampant Ebola-deadly, but it's basically mutated to get into the human population, is so you never know. :shrug:

Like the black death plague which is still around but is now far less potent than in the past.

The black plague was caused by a bacterium not a virus
You honestly have no idea mate, isn't there a covid discussion on the bombers board that's more at your level?

Some are suggesting we go back to open house and let it run it's course and let the oldies fend for themselves .
The Spanish flu effected the young more so than the oldies.
If the shoe was on the other foot and this virus was more dangerous to the young I,m sure that the older generation would do everything in their power to protect the younger generation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some are suggesting we go back to open house and let it run it's course and let the oldies fend for themselves .
The Spanish flu effected the young more so than the oldies.
If the shoe was on the other foot and this virus was more dangerous to the young I,m sure that the older generation would do everything in their power to protect the younger generation.

Don't worry about the nuffies

The comments on youtube under the news feeds have been disgraceful. Some saying the gov have no right to keep us inside ad It's only a virus.

Or, cheery thought, it could mutate into something more deadly. There are seemingly two strains of the virus already and reports of younger people (without significant comorbidity or illness history) dying in the US. Although, generally something that transmissible doesn't go full rampant Ebola-deadly, but it's basically mutated to get into the human population, is so you never know. :shrug:
I just read a report from the lab which monitors this and 8 strains have now been identified. However, to date, none have been identified as increasing mortality rates over the original strain.

If there are no community transitions and the daily infection rate drops to a consistent zero in the coming weeks - what do we do next? Will everything return to normal for WA (schools, business etc) but a restriction of travel remains?

In a footy sense - we could be in a privileged position to start training earlier than the East Coast clubs. However, would the AFLPA complain if some clubs start training while others are still off?

I get a sense that the mood is shifting a little in the UK with many looking to Sweden's approach (no full lockdown with businesses still open but people encouraged to work from home and practice social distancing). I would hope that Australia will be in a position to do this in April or early May.

The research also found that if interventions in [China] could have been conducted one week, two weeks, or three weeks earlier, cases could have been reduced by 66 percent, 86 percent and 95 percent respectively – significantly limiting the geographical spread of the disease. However, if NPIs were conducted one week, two weeks, or three weeks later than they were, the number of cases may have shown a 3-fold, 7-fold, or 18-fold increase, respectively.

I hope we sanction the * out of the PRC for this. Starting with the cost of our stolen 2020 AFLW premiership.

If there are no community transitions and the daily infection rate drops to a consistent zero in the coming weeks - what do we do next? Will everything return to normal for WA (schools, business etc) but a restriction of travel remains?

In a footy sense - we could be in a privileged position to start training earlier than the East Coast clubs. However, would the AFLPA complain if some clubs start training while others are still off?

I get a sense that the mood is shifting a little in the UK with many looking to Sweden's approach (no full lockdown with businesses still open but people encouraged to work from home and practice social distancing). I would hope that Australia will be in a position to do this in April or early May.

That sure would be promising news. It would be bloody brilliant news for WA.

Thats the objective up here ultimately, to get to a similar position where at the least we can function within our island with a semblance of normalcy on our own to a degree, with some form of confidence over the state of the virus with-in the community.

Lifting the travel restrictions is what I fear the most, especially given the amount of effort that is going into just getting to some form of a handle on it currently.

Still too early to know as we are letting the clock tick since the last travellers returned, then we can get a better understanding of what we really have here with-in the community.

We went 3 days with 0 results, then got hit with 4 new cases. Small numbers comparably to home in WA, but we are only a population of about 65,000 so it’s high in the sense of things.

It was a timely reminder that we can’t let our guard down just yet.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back