News Impact of COVID-19 on season 2020 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

This is one of those oft-spouted but rather terrible arguments I've seen on the main board because, the fact of the matter is a lot of people do hold premierships like that in far lower esteem. Much like the majority will hold this premiership in a very low esteem contextually.

That's the key fallacy behind the argument: It removes context away from the raw data.
Maybe. But it's all about what happens from there too. A premiership helps lift the monkey off the back for Freo and given it'd be a young team, adds an aura of "dynasty" to them, which helps with being a "destination club" for recruiting purposes and added confidence to the players. I'd take it in a heartbeat. Hands up who wouldn't?

I think we've got bigger issues.

Be great to get players from other states up here for an extended time.
To me it might allow us to sell the Gold Coast as a place players want to come on a permanent basis going forward

Brennan Cox
Brad Crouch
Elliot Himmelburg
Rory Atkins
Sam Powell-Pepper
Bailey J Williams
Jake Waterman
Liam Ryan

All these guys I would be happy to have at our club next year - all out of contract end of the year.

Probably not a huge concern, but I saw the GC Chairman was also very keen to extoll the virtues of a Gold Coast lifestyle.

Reckon GC might make some offers for a few players spending a month there?

Probably not a huge concern, but I saw the GC Chairman was also very keen to extoll the virtues of a Gold Coast lifestyle.

Reckon GC might make some offers for a few players spending a month there?
If lifestyle is all you've got to sell then you'll end up with blokes looking to retire and just going through the motions.

If lifestyle is all you've got to sell then you'll end up with blokes looking to retire and just going through the motions.

Best I can think of is a few young WC players who struggle to get game-time might be tempted if they can get games every week. But GC will struggle to get a big fish at this stage.

I don't envy their position; just a bit too much like ours after our wooden spoon (when we made the Croad trade) for me.

Now is the perfect time to implement a conference system. QLD and Vicco conferences with the best team from each conference playing each other in the GF.

Now is the perfect time to implement a conference system. QLD and Vicco conferences with the best team from each conference playing each other in the GF.

As someone who watched AFLW this reference to conferences offends me, and I'd like to start a petition to hang, draw and quarter Dirty_banchez after they're banned from this forum.

Who said it stopped at lifestyle?
Theres no shying away that the Gold Coast is a fantastic place to live if you really know the place. We would be pushing that narrative for sure.

I'm sure Evans would go a bit deeper than that though.

As someone who watched AFLW this reference to conferences offends me, and I'd like to start a petition to hang, draw and quarter Dirty_banchez after they're banned from this forum.

You cannot escape the terror of me. My posts are swift, my words sharp like an arrow and with a heart that pounds like a thunderbolt. Moderators will not detain me, nor your threats stop me. Your prayers to the mods will not save you. I will shatter your life with terrible catastrophes and reveal to the all mighty how terribly weak you are.

The AFLW conference system was a joke. They didn't play enough games to make it meaningful and the finals system was too short.

The conference system in the US sports work well (ish). It would mean more derbies per year (maybe 4), and a lot of intrigue as to who gets the final wildcard slots in the last couple weeks of the year.

Old McGowan Putting the boots in...

"Unfortunately, it appears the Victorian-based clubs have got their own way again and put the Eagles and Dockers, as well as the South Australian teams, in tough positions.

It's disappointing, but it's hardly surprising the pampered Victorian clubs have rode roughshod over the AFL and the expanded competition."

and

"And given the outcomes for this terribly disrupted season I would hope the two WA teams are given more local fixtures in the seasons ahead.

That could even include Collingwood being forced to travel to WA twice in a year."

97548125_4045923022092208_9187627296087867392_o.png

"Unfortunately, it appears the Victorian-based clubs have got their own way again and put the Eagles and Dockers, as well as the South Australian teams, in tough positions.

It's disappointing, but it's hardly surprising the pampered Victorian clubs have rode roughshod over the AFL and the expanded competition."

and

"And given the outcomes for this terribly disrupted season I would hope the two WA teams are given more local fixtures in the seasons ahead.

That could even include Collingwood being forced to travel to WA twice in a year."

View attachment 875511
Love it McGowan!

Great to hear a prominent figure jump off the fence and call the AFL out for the unashamedly alarming bias they continue to consistently peddle!

Think the GC hub is the best available solution to get the game going as early as possible.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

and

View attachment 875511

This is dumb pandering before an election.

There's quite a few examples of Vicbias. 4 clubs being moved to Queensland because it's cheaper, easier and lets the comp start sooner than moving 16 to WA isn't one of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Conference systems can be great. If done properly it would be a fairer than the current AFL 22 round system which is a true abomination.

However, conferences in the AFL will probably forever be associated with the rubbish fixturing that the AFLW implemented. It was like whoever was in charge of the AFLW didn't actually understand how conferences should work, and so they just made up some rubbish system and called it a "conference".

And after messing it up the first time they didn't really learn their lesson for their second go. <sigh>

I've always argued for 3 conferences, with the Vic teams spread out amongst a Northern conference, Southern conference and Western conference. Play home and away against your conference and one game against the other two conferences for 22 games. The Vic teams can be split on draft lottery (another night of nights for broadcasters) or the AFL can change it every year to get their extra blockbusters. Top 2 from each plus the next 2 best performed teams. It means up to 4 teams (of 6) could make it from a conference, with a minimum of 2. Great for "growing" the gaae in the northern states with the AFL able to ensure that some of them play every finals year.

Top 8 can be played as it is (everyone's 22 round W/L).

It's the same as the current draw, but with more certainty around the teams you get your double ups against.

Maybe. But it's all about what happens from there too. A premiership helps lift the monkey off the back for Freo and given it'd be a young team, adds an aura of "dynasty" to them, which helps with being a "destination club" for recruiting purposes and added confidence to the players. I'd take it in a heartbeat. Hands up who wouldn't?

Winning games is really important this year.

Many of our young players recruited from the east coast are out of contract next year. With the disruption this year I can see them looking to head home if we don't start pushing for finals this year or next.

I'm starting to see this season as an opportunity to do well.

We've already played 1 away game. Our next 5 games look like being played in Qld against Port, WC, AC, BL and the Suns (not necessarily in that order). Only 1 or 2 of those should be considered home games.

If the WA border opens up around that time 7 of our last 11 games should be in Perth. If we can win a couple early, we could be in for a good year.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've always argued for 3 conferences, with the Vic teams spread out amongst a Northern conference, Southern conference and Western conference. Play home and away against your conference and one game against the other two conferences for 22 games. The Vic teams can be split on draft lottery (another night of nights for broadcasters) or the AFL can change it every year to get their extra blockbusters. Top 2 from each plus the next 2 best performed teams. It means up to 4 teams (of 6) could make it from a conference, with a minimum of 2. Great for "growing" the gaae in the northern states with the AFL able to ensure that some of them play every finals year.

Top 8 can be played as it is (everyone's 22 round W/L).

It's the same as the current draw, but with more certainty around the teams you get your double ups against.

I think this is a solid arrangement. I don’t understand the ire for conferences. The big three do it in the states here. Even college football went to conferences (the big 10 has two conferences). I think the big advantage to conferences is less travel for the non Vic teams. Imagine if Freo played power crows and WC twice a year. Wouldn’t that mean less travel overall? If there were no conferences, NY football Giants and other east coast teams would be traveling all the time. Same for the west coast teams.

I also think it would make it more of a national competition and create rivalries based on conference play. The media would have to focus on the conferences, forcing them to cover the non-Vic teams more (heaven forbid!!)

You also might have the conferences take on personalities of their own as they do in the NFL, which is great. The Lions Vikings and Bears have been chasing the Packers for years and this influences their draft and free agency. I’m all for AFL doing it, but I’m not gonna hold my breath.

This season is going to be perfect for a new coach to tinker and experiment with the game plan install and a young team to bond and get some more experience onto their list. I’m not keen on our boys being forced to relocate but several weeks in a luxury resort sounds like the least worst solution considering the circumstances. I don’t give a crap who wins the flag or whether it’s legitimate or not. Bring on some footy!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It'd get a bit boring just playing the Eagles, (and assuming) Port and Crows twice every year. Going to a conference system you'd have to start looking at expanding the comp even more, otherwise you're looking at repetitive seasons. Nowhere near as interesting.

Played footy when I were a lad and in our area there were only three teams... it took a lot of the fun out of it, particularly when one team was on top for a few years running, which happened often.

There is talk that the shifting clubs want to play all of their games in the same state and the Victorian clubs will play their home games in QLD when they play the relocated clubs, since they are already living out of a suitcase they shouldn't be then also travelling.

I can't see a concession like that getting through.

There is talk that the shifting clubs want to play all of their games in the same state and the Victorian clubs will play their home games in QLD when they play the relocated clubs, since they are already living out of a suitcase they shouldn't be then also travelling.

Don't see Eddie McGuire telling himself to suck it up.

But who knows? Maybe they'll shaft the Saints, Melbourne and North.

They can clearly only sustain four weeks of the six Queensland based teams playing one another, since GC v Port has already happened in round 1.
It does therefore seem they'll need teams to fly in and out of Queensland by early July. Interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back