News Impact of COVID-19 on season 2020 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Stopping footy all together would be going way too far. You need to keep parts of society/economy running.

This is about slowing the spread, not cocooning ourselves for eternity and hoping we don't catch COVID-19....75% of us will catch it.

You're right, it's likely that if we cannot contain COVID in the next few weeks most people will eventually catch it... but the absolute number doesn't really matter, the issue is the rate it spreads. If we have an explosion of cases like in Italy the hospitals cannot cope, everything grinds to a halt.

Then people not only unnecessary die from the virus, but also from other medical issues -> other infections, heart attacks, stroke, trauma etc. Because the systems is so backed up there is no hospital beds, so people get sub-optimal treatment. The mortality rate climbs -> more panic -> more severe restrictions -> bigger impact on our society.

The best we can hope for is a long but gentle run.

COVID.jpg

Sobering thought I just realised, you can be very cautious with AFL players for as long as possible and operate in an almost closed but what the fu** are you going to do about the guys playing WAFL/VFL etc.

Someone in a state league is going to get Corona and play against a listed player then all hell breaks loose.

I honestly thought we would be safe but starting to get a horrible feeling we are going to have no footy very soon =(
My opinion is we are at the peak of the "awareness" curve at the moment though and there's a fair bit of overreaction going on (definitely not saying we shouldn't do everything reasonable we can to slow the spread and try to protect those that are vulnerable though). People are now realising we aren't going to avoid Coronavirus spreading (like the annual flu does) but at the same time we've got a very overstated mortality rate so people think getting it is more serious than what it is - because the number of people who have died from it is known but the number of cases is well under the reality - one number is growing exponentially compared to the other now.

Footballers may contract it but are at extremely low risk of suffering major side effects due to their young age. It really does seem a disease that is only life threatening for those with compromised immune systems. The entire AFL and WAFL playing group could contract it and I'd be surprised if any were even hospitalised.

I agree with measures to avoid large gatherings to slow the spread (within the public) but shutting down the league seems an over reaction to me. Playing with empty stadiums isn't any more risky than having the players interacting not playing football instead.

AFL have confirmed round 1 will go ahead.

that just confirms it won’t, every conference, event, etc confirm things will go ahead, then cancel it last minute. It’s a cost saving method. They can’t cancel in advance, the stadiums would sue them. Once the government declares a pandemic and to avoid public gatherings. Then it becomes an insurer matter. The insurers are smart enough to write in pandemic out causes. And ultimately the money comes from the attendee’s, whom aren’t strong enough to recoup them.

The news also reported both WC and Freo had cancelled their open training sessions. Not sure how they do that at either venue but you are not going to get player interaction and maybe they'll close the watching area to the public?

It’s just a matter of when not if AFL goes ahead. All the major round ball leagues in Europe pretty much behind closed doors then suspended altogether.
AFL worrying about their sponsorships, broadcast rights. They’ll maximise as much as they can. AFLPA could get involved here and say the risk is too high. As if Freo and west coast are going to catch a flight every week and out themselves in danger over a game.
The writing is on the wall right there. Luckily all round ball competitions are coming to an end, whereas AFL haven’t even started. Why bother?
And if AFL doesn’t go ahead then state league, all levels shouldn’t. So what if society has to function, for economy etc. it’s still a large gathering of people every week, especially as we hit winter in two months. Life will be quite restricted in the next 4-6 months, that’s the reality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s just a matter of when not if AFL goes ahead. All the major round ball leagues in Europe pretty much behind closed doors then suspended altogether.
AFL worrying about their sponsorships, broadcast rights. They’ll maximise as much as they can. AFLPA could get involved here and say the risk is too high. As if Freo and west coast are going to catch a flight every week and out themselves in danger over a game.
The writing is on the wall right there. Luckily all round ball competitions are coming to an end, whereas AFL haven’t even started. Why bother?
And if AFL doesn’t go ahead then state league, all levels shouldn’t. So what if society has to function, for economy etc. it’s still a large gathering of people every week, especially as we hit winter in two months. Life will be quite restricted in the next 4-6 months, that’s the reality.
If you believe it, China are saying they are over the worst of it already. But they went to extreme measures that I just don’t think Australia has the ability to achieve.

Bring the virus on. Its going to hit us why drag it out.
A vaccine is still at least 12 months away..

No it isn't

They can fast track the vaccine if needed. Clinical trials have already gone ahead in the UK. It's up to the government's to skip through all trials or not.

I own a small import business. I'm lucky, I have no debt. If things get bad about mid April and peak in August (peak flu season), how many small to mid sized businesses will still be standing?

Already post Xmas, without trying I can name 8 National chains that have either closed or are going down. There are many more holding on by the skin of their teeth.

I have two containers about to be shipped.
I had per orders for about 1/2 of this stock.
Some have already cancelled their orders and some have said they will wait and see.
As I said I'm lucky, no debt. There will be pain but I should hopefully be able to ride things out. I have friends who will not survive 4 months of slow or no sales.
There is going to be pain long after a vaccine is around.

I own a small import business. I'm lucky, I have no debt. If things get bad about mid April and peak in August (peak flu season), how many small to mid sized businesses will still be standing?

Already post Xmas, without trying I can name 8 National chains that have either closed or are going down. There are many more holding on by the skin of their teeth.

I have two containers about to be shipped.
I had per orders for about 1/2 of this stock.
Some have already cancelled their orders and some have said they will wait and see.
As I said I'm lucky, no debt. There will be pain but I should hopefully be able to ride things out. I have friends who will not survive 4 months of slow or no sales.
There is going to be pain long after a vaccine is around.

I'm in a similar boat and we directly supply grassroots AFL clubs. We are in peak period for ordering and with our manufacturing based in China it has been a very stressful time. Our next quarter projections have been slashed and we are preparing for worst case scenarios.

A vaccine won't help, most of us are going to get it. Most of us won't be affected and those who are will most likely have flu symptoms. Those in the vulnerable groups of the elderly, obese or pre existing medical conditions will be in a lot of trouble.

My prediction is we are going to cost the economy a stack of cash and the results will not be nearly as bad as they could be. Does spending this cash guarantee a reduced butchers bill?

No, but it is kind of like global warming. You can do something about it and everything ends up great anyway or you can do nothing and the earth will fall apart.

Be alert, not alarmed, look after yourselves and each other and don't be a ******* idiot and buy up all the toilet paper.

I am 60+ with diabetes...so, no, don't bring it on.
What precautions do you normally take coming into flu season? I assume your hygiene is a lot higher than the regular person. It’s interesting the majority of people are happy to take the risk of getting sick rather than use proper hygiene, perhaps this will result in the general flu seasons being less severe in future as well.

If you believe it, China are saying they are over the worst of it already. But they went to extreme measures that I just don’t think Australia has the ability to achieve.

They’re now worrying about a second wave of people – nationals and foreigners – bringing the virus back into the country.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back